PDA

View Full Version : quick fuse for slow sequence

nrubmx
06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8QsD1ew6RA&feature=related

this is daves video demo of doing this, i have been wanting to do this for my show this year but i was wondering if this would be the best way to do it. i can only get quick fuse, not quick mach but has anyone that has done this had any misfires or good/bad experience with it? please let me know anything you know about this. anything will help!

thanks

PyroJoeNEPA
06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
If you have access to the grey paper "quick fuse" you can make quick match out of it--the grey quick fuse is basically 3 small strands of black match with a paper coating & thread over the outside. If you get a roll of brown kraft paper [Wal Mart Packing Supplies] & cut it into a 1 1/8" strip the length of the roll--use a yardstick-it's the right width-& fold it into 3/8" widths--run a stick of craft glue [glue stick] along one seam & then open up the "pipe". Slip 2 pieces of the grey fast fuse thru it [you can use one but two pieces works much better] now you have your own quick match. You can join the pipes together with Dave's Magic Tape or masking tape and make a piece as long as you need. Just keep feeding the fuse thru the pipes & tape the joints. Really simple & better than paying for the "pipes". It works great. I did this before I got my "54" and could buy Quick Match. The technique Dave showed in the video works fine--I've done it many times..just make sure the fuse is taped securely to the cakes. Never had a misfire with it.
Good luck with your show. Take Video!!!

indianahx
06-21-2011, 05:13 PM
I on the otherhand disagree. I did not want to roll craft paper over and over again. I bought some off of pyrodirect. Coupled that with the fast/quick fuse that you can get (got mine at bigs) and tried daves technique. I had about a 50/50 success rate. I wasn't doing this for a show thank god, but just sets of three or four in the backyard. To each his own though, try some tests and see how much you like toiling over jamming quickfuse into the tiny space in the tube. I personally would rather just use quickmatch if this HAD to be done. Good luck and,yes TAKE VIDEO!!

nrubmx
06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
If you have access to the grey paper "quick fuse" you can make quick match out of it--the grey quick fuse is basically 3 small strands of black match with a paper coating & thread over the outside. If you get a roll of brown kraft paper [Wal Mart Packing Supplies] & cut it into a 1 1/8" strip the length of the roll--use a yardstick-it's the right width-& fold it into 3/8" widths--run a stick of craft glue [glue stick] along one seam & then open up the "pipe". Slip 2 pieces of the grey fast fuse thru it [you can use one but two pieces works much better] now you have your own quick match. You can join the pipes together with Dave's Magic Tape or masking tape and make a piece as long as you need. Just keep feeding the fuse thru the pipes & tape the joints. Really simple & better than paying for the "pipes". It works great. I did this before I got my "54" and could buy Quick Match. The technique Dave showed in the video works fine--I've done it many times..just make sure the fuse is taped securely to the cakes. Never had a misfire with it.

thank you i will deffinately try that and do some tests and if it works fine i will use it. it does sound like it will work good, i will use 2 pieces of fuse and i will zip tie the quick fuse to all of the visco on the cakes.
thanks for the feedback

nrubmx
06-21-2011, 05:52 PM
I on the otherhand disagree. I did not want to roll craft paper over and over again. I bought some off of pyrodirect. Coupled that with the fast/quick fuse that you can get (got mine at bigs) and tried daves technique. I had about a 50/50 success rate. I wasn't doing this for a show thank god, but just sets of three or four in the backyard. To each his own though, try some tests and see how much you like toiling over jamming quickfuse into the tiny space in the tube. I personally would rather just use quickmatch if this HAD to be done. Good luck and,yes TAKE VIDEO!!

i do not have access to quick match, i wish i did! but i am going to test this technique out and i think it should work fine if i do it the way pyro joe said

J's12talk
06-21-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a type 54 permit and don't bother with quickmatch unless I'm doing a 1.3g show for the company I shoot for. The gray fast fuse and other types and speeds available work just fine for most applications in the 1.4g realm.

Pyro Nation
06-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Again agree with J12.... I actually only ever used quickmatch for my shows only once. The perfect fuse. rapid / quick fuse are sufficient for most everything.... I use to use the quickmatch in 6" strips attached to the visco on consumer firework. Now I just use a ematch to visco port....

J's12talk
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
E-matching to the visco port is a great way to go. Just do it outside and point the cake being worked on away from everyone and everything just in case.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-22-2011, 09:33 AM
There are 2 reasons why I made the tubes: 1- at that time I didn't have my 54 and did not have access to quick match. 2- it "fed my pyro habit" during the cold winter months allowing me to do "something pyro related". It isn't difficult getting the fuse thru the tubes; I used a thin wooden dowel with a string taped on the end. Push the dowel through the tube till the string comes out-attach 2 pieces of fuse to the end of the string & pull thru the tubes. Actually goes quite quickly--but I am glad I don't have to do it anymore. But again, we are talking about using 1.3g quick match with 1.4 cakes--the home made tubes are still 1.4 fuse--so many laws & regulations to deal with!

PyroJoeNEPA
06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I have a type 54 permit and don't bother with quickmatch unless I'm doing a 1.3g show for the company I shoot for. The gray fast fuse and other types and speeds available work just fine for most applications in the 1.4g realm.

I agree with Jay on this one-I bought a case of Yellow Fast Fuse & have several rolls of Pink Fast Fuse. I'm only using Quick Match for the long run on my fountain front & my rear salute wall this year [about a 60 foot run]. All the cakes are Yellow Fast Fuse.
Mortar racks [200 guns] are all chained Pink Fast Fuse with ematch except for finale [quick match].

ktaylor
07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I have a family show coming up this weekend and was going to try this as-per Dave Video so I don't have to hand light all the cakes. I'll be using the paper quick fuse. Anyone have thoughts about how to protect the quickfuse from jumping or accidental ignition from sparks?

nrubmx
07-27-2011, 10:52 PM
i tried this and with the paper quick fuse it didnt work as good as i thought it would. but i just taped over the last tube with the fuse in it and it did not jump early or anything like that

oldfart
07-28-2011, 11:32 AM
When I first saw this I liked the idea. Usually our boards have 15 - 20 cakes. A lot of times we get a cake that doesn't fire completely. With this method that would end the board. I will stick with measuring out the Visco or ematch

ktaylor
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Any thoughts on tin-foil around the exposed paper?

ktaylor
08-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Follow-up: This worked like a charm! oldfart: thanks for the warning....I used a backup fuse in other cakes that were firing at the same time...although not needed (all cakes fired as planned) it was reassuring to know I had fused in backups. I'll be using this technique for a long time to come,....that is until an auto-sequencing firing system is in my lap. :)

houseoffire72
08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
back in the day when i first got into pyro and couldnt find a fast enough fuse for my barrage racks i decieded i had to make my own... so what i did was i made homemade sticky match that was just as good if not better than store bought stuff and cheaper too ( cost me about ten cents per 8') considering i needed about 250' of fuse... what i did was i used 2" and 1" masking tape and goax 4f blk powder although since then i have also used pyrodex smokeless which works as well... how ya do it is, on your rack or cakes take a peice of 2" masking tape and place it sticky side out useing tape on the ends to hold it... then take a peice of 1" tape and cover it in black powder by pouring some in a bowl and running your tape through it... after its finished stick the tape to the center of the 2" tape on your racks or cakes with the black powder side facing out... trim fuse from cakes or rack at a 45 degree angle and stick it to the edge of the tape making sure the fuse is pointing in the direction of the flame and in the blk powder... cover the top in 2" masking tape and use an ematch or visco stuck in the end to light it up... once i got the hang of it i was really fast at it, much faster than useing fuse and tape or zip ties... my success rate using this method in the past 8 years is around 99% give or take a few % depending on the complexity of my show... please give it a try if you get the chance and let me know how you like it

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2016, 11:17 AM

You guys are awesome! That's pure genius. That's also why I love this board. So many experienced - been there, done that- pyro's. Thanks for that info. Definitely going to do some experimenting for the New Year holiday display!