PDA

View Full Version : quick question about rockets

arial-shellz-R-US
06-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone, I'm going through a rocket phase and wanted to know how to attach headers to the top of my rockets. My rockets are 3.5" long and 3/4" inner diameter. I am using homemade rocket tooling and the core on the rockets go about 2.5" into the rocket. My question is: when finishing the rocket should I put a bentonite plug on top of the rocket and drill through the plug when inserting my header? Or can I just hot glue my shell straight onto the rocket leaving the spolette in contact with the propellant at the top without any divider in between the shell and the propellant?? I just don't want the shell to not ignite, or even worse ignite on the ground. Please let me know, if you are someone who puts headers on rockets all the time.

californiapyro
06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
well first off your rockets should be way longer than 3.5 inch if they're coreburners. Have you thrust tested them? anyways, yes you absolutely need a bentonite plug. drill through, off to the side, and attach your shell spolette. also put a little bp in the gap at the top, so that the shell gets ejected from the rocket at apogee.

arial-shellz-R-US
06-28-2011, 01:38 AM
well first off your rockets should be way longer than 3.5 inch if they're coreburners. Have you thrust tested them? anyways, yes you absolutely need a bentonite plug. drill through, off to the side, and attach your shell spolette. also put a little bp in the gap at the top, so that the shell gets ejected from the rocket at apogee.

Yes I have used a few infact and the have alot of thrust I think I may be able to squeez a 2" on these rockets and have success, thank for that info :) but now I have to undo a couple rockets and add a plug :D

californiapyro
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
ooh ouch, yeah lengthen your engine, a 3/4 inch should be able to at least lift a 3, if not a 4. or if you don't want to use a longer casing do an endburner. here's a video of a 3/4 inch by 2 1/2 long endburner lifting a 3 inch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjUC0hcyeUk

but anyways glad you put endplugs on em :)