PDA

View Full Version : Do Class C fireworks have expiration dates?

alan5795
06-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Many years ago a friend told me you can't keep fireworks stored at home very long because they will pick up moisture from the air and won't work. I've come to believe his advice wasn't correct.
Is there an accepted length of time fireworks can be stored before "going bad"? And if so, is there a different timeframe with, lets say, cakes versus firecrackers and so on?

I'm asking this question assuming proper storing methods are being used. Thanks!

Pyro Nation
06-14-2011, 10:26 PM
They can go bad in terms of if they do collect moisture the fuse will not fire correctly...

but if proper methods are used to store.. I usually have fireworks stored from January till July..... Have never had any issues... Stored in a shed or garage

crackerbomb
06-14-2011, 10:27 PM
I have shot fireworks that were 3 years old and had no issues. The main thing that I was told was to keep them in a dry cool place. I keep mine in my work shop that has a window ac unit alond with a corn stove for heat. The great thing about a corn stove is that it makes the air very dry. I think that your fireworks will last several years if they are kept in the correct conditions.

J's12talk
06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Take a look at Daves videos, one of them is about a box from Brazil 196? with salute racks inside. Tell me after veiwing that you can't keep product for a number of years.

jknepp1954
06-15-2011, 04:58 AM
keeping them dry is key. COOL or HOT - we keep them in storage containers year round. We have firecrackers we have had for 8 years now - works perfectly fine.
Sometimes the paper get kind of funky after years though. Kellners had a second location several years ago in New MExico - the xtreme heat and low humidity did seem to take its toll on product just after a few years. I had bought about 15-20 cs of his old Uncle Sam firecrackers on a close out at the time. Firecrackers good as ever - but clear plastic wrapping brittle and fell apart in your hands.
I had an old man come to out store once who said he had a brick of firecrackers he kept locked in his cun cabinet he has had for like 40 years. Lights a pack or 2 for the 4th of july and then puts them back. I would love to get myhands on those things! would be worth some money i bet! NOW those were firecrackers!!!

Pyro@Mach13
06-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I would love to see (hear) them too Joyce!

Pyro Nation
06-15-2011, 12:27 PM
We would have something new for the vintage firecracker section here....lol

alan5795
06-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies...answers my question.

Along the same line as the original question...does this mean we may be purchasing fireworks from wholesale/retail that are several years old? Seems to me if I were a mom and pop store, getting rid of inventory would be the main goal...even if it took years. Sounds like it's not a big deal...just curious if I'm buying something "new", that's actually been in a warehouse for 5 years. It's something I'm not worried about...just always assumed I was buying "new stock" and now wondering if that's not how it works.

Pyro Nation
06-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes... it very well could be the cases alan.... You do get some good deals that way. I know I have. 2 years ago i got a case of reloadables were 3 years old normally run 189 for the case. I paid 89 for them and I paid special attention to them during the show and had no issues. That said Im not saying they couldnt of had issues, just saying these ones did not

thechemist45
06-21-2011, 06:14 PM
If you keep your firecrackers and fireworks dry and a place where the humidity is controlled in a wharehouse envirement or for just a Brick or two worth of single packs for a collecter. They will last Longer than you need to worry lol ; ) I have ones that go back to the Bamboo ones And they still go lol Don't worry as long as there not floating around in your celler everytime it rains and there kept in a decent place they will be fine! This 4th and every 4th I'm using crackers that are great shooters from the 70s only class 5 I won't shoot anything less. I have a few cases of Thunder Bombs just for the 4th for shooting. So there from mid 70s Don't worry about them. We should only live so long and healthy lol ; )

thechemist45
06-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Yes your exactly right! I just Bought some Thunder Bombs that Daves wholesale in MO had from 1975! Now you feel better ; ) Pluss I have a lot invested in my collection. And trust me everything I have will fire. It would be like blowing up good money lol But they would and do fire. I lit off a old loose pack of Yankee Boy's last week & Black Bat 1968 ICC lol

Pyro Nation
06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
yes your exactly right! I just bought some thunder bombs that daves wholesale in mo had from 1975! Now you feel better ; ) pluss i have a lot invested in my collection. And trust me everything i have will fire. It would be like blowing up good money lol but they would and do fire. I lit off a old loose pack of yankee boy's last week & black bat 1968 icc lol

im jealous!!!!!!

Wood_Ohio
06-21-2011, 07:45 PM
A friend had some rockets from 03' that he had lit one off, still good. I have never noticed a expiration date on them though.

cracker
06-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey I cant find this video J's12talk. Can you post a link to it please?

crackerbomb
06-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Hey I cant find this video J's12talk. Can you post a link to it please?

Its under antique fireworks. the video name is Old fireworks fogos from Brazil.