PDA

View Full Version : Help with titanium mesh size

jeffro61
11-03-2015, 09:32 AM
This is pyrotechnical but not relating to fireworks. We are fire spinners - meaning we make and spin manipulation props such as staffs, poi, hoops, nunchaku, and clubs that have wicks that are fueled and lit on fire for performance. The wicks are soaked in white gas (aka coleman liquid camp fuel - naptha based), and for extra sparkle effect we sprinkle titanium on the wicks before igniting (image attached below for reference). For the past 3 years we have had a source for titanium alloy milled flake fines with Screen Analysis: 12% +30 mesh; 33% -30 +80 mesh; 55% -80 mesh that worked great. It ignites as it falls off the flame, so the particle size and shape regulates how much sticks to the wick and how much falls off (big particles won't stick and too small like powder and it clumps) and also the flake shape ignites easily at this temperature. Unfortunately we used up all of this supply and they do not know if they will receive more. Since then we have been using Spherical -100+325 mesh from another supplier with similar results (though not as good), but they have also run out. Both suppliers mentioned a titanium shortage.

I have tried Titanium, spherical, +145-325 and Spherical 60-80 mesh from elsewhere that did not work. I recently tried Titanium, spherical, -200 mesh but it was too fine and clumped. At this point I am not sure where to turn as we have used up 2 supplies, and honestly I am still a bit confused by mesh size. I could possibly source it over seas but am not sure what to ask for. Most of the overseas suppliers that I have found sell sizes such as -200 mesh - I have not found any that have a range such as -100+325 mesh (and no milled flame fines) nor do I understand mesh size enough to guess what I may need. Any ideas on what may work or any suppliers to try? I have been ordering a pound of each mesh size that I can find in the US but am running out of sizes to test.

Thank you for any advice.

displayfireworks1
11-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Just two weeks ago I was looking at some videos of fire spinners and related fire spinner performers. I thought it would be great to have someone like this on the pyrotalk forums. Thanks for joining. If you have video of your work I would love to see it. Please post.
There are few members on the forums that I am sure will comment on this, just give it time for them to see it and research it.

displayfireworks1
11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Here is link to available Titanium from one of my advertisers, "Pyrochemsource". Not sure if you looked at his site. He has various mesh sizes. Also click on the pictures to get a close up view of the size.
http://www.pyrochemsource.com/Chemicals-T_c28.htm

jeffro61
11-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Here is link to available Titanium from one of my advertisers, "Pyrochemsource". Not sure if you looked at his site. He has various mesh sizes. Also click on the pictures to get a close up view of the size.
http://www.pyrochemsource.com/Chemicals-T_c28.htm

Thanks - I already used up all of their -100+325 mesh and have also tried their 60-80 without success.

displayfireworks1
11-04-2015, 08:16 PM
There are so many numbers floating around it getting confusing. What is the exact titanium mesh size that is ideal for you? Spherical or not?

jeffro61
11-24-2015, 07:56 PM
There are too many numbers! The hammer milled flakes that were 12% +30 mesh; 33% -30 +80 mesh; 55% -80 mesh worked best but I have yet to find flakes again. The spherical -100+325 mesh worked second best - but any larger spherical sizes I tried did not ignite. All of the powders I tried clumped, though I have a few more samples coming. Spherical seemed like my best bet outside of the flakes but I cannot find any smaller spherical particles except for very expensive from China.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-24-2015, 08:48 PM
Is it feasible to use FerroTitanium or must it be pure Titanium? If the FeTi is a possible option you might want to try here:
http://www.hobbychemicalsupply.com/ferro-titanium-60-240-mesh/

PGH_Pyro
11-24-2015, 08:58 PM
i did some fireworks in conjunction with some fire spinners, awhile back ... good times .
i love to watch them do their thing .

pbjacker
11-30-2015, 12:52 AM
In light of a Ti shortage, you should definitely consider other options. I suppose maybe you might have some kind of "signature" effect, but if you're open to change check out steel?