PDA

View Full Version : HAZMAT and PA CDL

christopher.issler
10-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Hey all, looking to get info on CDL and Hazmat endorcement.

Rather not go to the DMV, because even on a good day it is a nightmare.

I think the basic CDL is a class B, but i am hearing conflicting stories that you cant get a hazmat endorsement with a class b.

Thanks all!

Fatboy
10-01-2015, 01:25 PM
I can help you with this.

The different classes (A,B,C) only deal with weight/vehicle combination. A - Tractor Trailers, B - Straight Trucks/Tri-axles, C- Regular Vehicles. Getting a class B CDL would require you to take the test in a vehicle over 26,000lbs and you certainly could get a hazmat endorsement because a class B with hazmat is the license required for oil and gas delivery drivers that deliver to residences.

I'm assuming you currently have a PA class C non-commercial license (normal PA drivers license) and want to be able to transport fireworks in commerce.

1. You will need to get a DOT physical and medical card. This must be done by a qualified medical provider on the federal registry. Fill out form DL-11CD Self certification form.

2. You will need to fill out form DL-31CD and apply for a class C commercial learners permit with hazmat. You need to go to the DMV with this form and the form from step 1 and 3. There will be computer based knowledge tests to take.

3. Complete DL-288 security threat assessment. You will need to submit the forms / fees for the FBI Background check and then go get fingerprinted at an authorized location.

4. It takes 1-3 months for the background check to come back. You will have to schedule and take a class C commercial skills test. You will have to demonstrate a pre-trip inspection and know the regulations in the commercial manual of where to place reflective triangles and other safety info.

Every 2 years you will need a new DOT physical or your license will be revoked. In order to keep hazmat on your license you need to get fingerprinted and background check done before every renewal (4 years)

If you have any other questions, let me know.

christopher.issler
10-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Thanks! Started the practice tests...

displayfireworks1
10-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Its funny you brought this CDL subject up. I have been wanting to do a video about it. The problem is I need permission to video a Uhaul Truck. I sent an email to my Uhaul tape contact but he never got back to me. When I eventually make the video you will see you can get a CDL with Hazmat endorsement and use your passenger car to get it. You do not even need a truck.

christopher.issler
10-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Great! If uhaul won't let you do it without their permission, I can get you a box truck, for example, and can label it "You Haul"

Fatboy
10-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Its funny you brought this CDL subject up. I have been wanting to do a video about it. The problem is I need permission to video a Uhaul Truck. I sent an email to my Uhaul tape contact but he never got back to me. When I eventually make the video you will see you can get a CDL with Hazmat endorsement and use your passenger car to get it. You do not even need a truck.

I'm really curious if they make you take the skills and road test portion of the CDL test if you show up with a passenger vehicle. I assume they have to but seems silly to me if you already have a class C non-commercial license.

Chris: If you go get the CDL class C w/ Hazmat and are transporting fireworks for hire the vehicle will need to be placarded on all 4 sides and you will need to carry:

Fire extinguisher rated 10BC or greater
3 Reflective Triangles
Spare fuses

Very important to note that the placards are only to be used if 1.3 is currently being transported. Once you finish the show, and, as long as you are not transporting any 1.3 back, you need to remove the placards. You would get a fine for placarding a vehicle that does not need placards. If you are pulling a trailer or box truck, you can place the placards on all 4 sides of the trailer or box. They do not need to be on the cab.

PyroManiacs
10-16-2015, 06:05 PM
You do not even need a truck.

You are absolutely correct!