PDA

View Full Version : OSB board

crackerbomb
06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
I was at Lowes Home Improvement store and I asked if they had any damaged OSB boards. They had about thirty sheets that had damage to the corners. They were selling them for $2.99 a sheet. I asked them how much it would cost to have them cut down because I had my SUV, not a truck. They said that there was no charge for them to cut them down. So I had them cut 10 sheets into quarter sheets for a total bill of $32 including tax. So if you need some 1/2" x 4' x 8' asked if they have anything damaged and you may get a good price.

Pyro Nation
06-10-2011, 01:46 AM
AWESOME... Dave had this in one of his videos.. I believe it was called Home Depot Wood.. or something of that nature.. I been using lowes and my job for spare wood to make racks

Palermitano2
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Thats the way I get all my Pyro Wood....lol

nrubmx
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
AWESOME... Dave had this in one of his videos.. I believe it was called Home Depot Wood.. or something of that nature.. I been using lowes and my job for spare wood to make racks

his video was called fireworks boards or fireworks wood i believe

displayfireworks1
06-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Here is the video about the wood.

Dave displayfireworks1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7NY1Sz62AQ

wpman321
06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I think they call it cull lumber! They have different colors painted on the ends and they are priced according to the color.

crackerbomb
06-13-2011, 02:31 PM
As far as I know it is calles Orientd Strand Boards, OSB. The ends are painted in color in case they get them mixed up, its easy to sort them this way. Unless you have to different mills making the wood because they all don't use the same color.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-13-2011, 03:04 PM
wpman321 is referring to the scrap pieces both Home Depot & Lowes sell--usually from $.50 to $2.00 a piece--their color code is sprayed on the end of the scrap piece for the cashier. These can be OSB, plywood, 2x4's, 2x6's, etc---almost anything.
Crackerbomb is referring to the actual OSB that is painted [from the mill as he said] on the end of the sheet to ID the material.
Crackerbomb brought out a very good point here--usually they will not put whole sheets out like that for sale--so if you ask you may get a deal. I was told they usually wait until they have a pile & then cut them into "half sheets & quarter sheets" to sell that way, but it is up to the manager if he wants to hold on to it or dump it. Usually they are glad to dump it! Less work for them. Score 1 for the Pyro's!!!

crackerbomb
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Pyro joe thanks for the new info. I didn't know they did the painting on small scrap lumber.

wpman321
06-14-2011, 12:03 AM
pyro joe thanks

Palermitano2
06-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Is putting osb on the bottom rails better then putting half inch plywood?

crackerbomb
06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I would say plywood is stronger. I don't think that osb would be a bad idea. One thing to remember osb doesn't last after getting rained on.

indianahx
06-16-2011, 10:06 PM
I have heard so many arguments on whether which one is better here and pyroU. From what I can gather, there is no scientific proof or study done at any silicone valley lab. It boils down to a preference. Most will tell you,though, don't cover the plug with your bottom rail. Happy building and shooting!

Pyro Nation
06-16-2011, 10:08 PM
you are correct about OSB and Rain... I have to rebuild the ones this year due to that exact issue

Palermitano2
06-17-2011, 10:47 AM
I have heard so many arguments on whether which one is better here and pyroU. From what I can gather, there is no scientific proof or study done at any silicone valley lab. It boils down to a preference. Most will tell you,though, don't cover the plug with your bottom rail. Happy building and shooting!

Great Info Thanks! 1 more question I understand loading a shell upside down will cause a "flower pot" where did that name come from? Is it because of what the tube looks like?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Great Info Thanks! 1 more question I understand loading a shell upside down will cause a "flower pot" where did that name come from? Is it because of what the tube looks like?

A flower pot is when the lift charge doesn't propel the shell out of the tube--usually because the shell is too small in diameter for the mortar [but right side up] & it detonates in the mortar-blowing everything up in the air--like a mine--but the mortar usually survives with no issues.[We are talking 1.75" 1.4g product here] Putting a shell in upside down will blow the tube [and most likely the rack] apart because all the pressure is exerted downward in the gun & it has no place to expand.
Where the actual term "flower pot" came from I don't know. I looked in some of my old books & didn't find a reference for the origin of it. Interesting question though. I always assumed since the shell comes out of the gun like a mine the shape of the burst resembles the shape of a clay flowerpot--narrow on the bottom & wide on the top.

californiapyro
06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
I believe the true definition of a flower pot is when the shell breaks from the pressure put on it by the lift charge... not entirely sure though

Palermitano2
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Awesome thanks great info ..

Pyro@Mach13
06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Is putting osb on the bottom rails better then putting half inch plywood?

I built mine with plywood. I would never use OSB, it is far weaker - that IS the reason some say to use it though, a blowout will only take a small chunk out, they say.