PDA

View Full Version : AP Products

Shooter
07-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Are these labeled consumer products? Or, do you have to be licensed to purchase?

PyroManiacs
07-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Need to be licensed to buy.... but need no special storage for them.

displayfireworks1
07-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Actually you do not have to be licensed. You need to show you have some experience. A PGI membership card is accepted by some distributors. Or something to show you have experience. A club membership card is also accepted. This is not a guarantee, some distributors may want an ATF license. You can not make someone sell you something if they do not want to.
After talking to my sources I discovered while the product is not labeled for sale at a fireworks stand, some sellers are placing a sign on a empty slot on the shelf stating they have them for sale behind the counter so to speak. Something similar is done like this in pharmacies for certain cold medications. Pretty smart marketing I would say.

PyroManiacs
07-16-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks Dave... last I heard, you did need a license. Guess I missed something.

Shooter
07-17-2015, 05:17 AM
Do strobe pots and gerbs fall into this category? These AP products are very confusing. I could have sworn that I came across a site that said no license required. However, I don't know if there was any stipulation on experience being required. So, Dave, in your humble opinion no special storage requirements are required just knowledge of the product with some form of proof. Thanks.

displayfireworks1
07-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Articles of Pyrotechnics are not really classified as fireworks. That will give you mind something to think about. One of my advertisers Tannerite Explosives sells a complete line of these. Here is a link to his page.
http://tanneriteexplosives.com/products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6
These people are experts at getting things classified as AP's . It is a very costly process from what I have been told.If you fail the testing you still have to pay. I believe the testing cost may be close to 20k for each item. Lets use Tannerite Explosives, he tells me that now that he has classified multiple effects as Articles of Pyrotechnics he now has freedom to mix the effects in future products. I suggested whatever he makes it should end with the "Air Burst" finish. There is a big market for these with stage and special effects people. I have a few special effects people on the forums but they rarely comment. I would imagine these items offer a tremendous advantage for them. Tannerite told me how many containers he brings in every year but I can reveal that. I will just say these Articles of Pyrotechnics are popular options for some people. One big retailer buys these M-25's up all the time for resale.

Fire Art
07-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Shooter- Anything carrying the Articles Pyrotechnic designation UN0431 falls into this category. As it is not "regulated" product it does not need to be stored as 1.3 and 1.1 does. It is still 1.4 and needs to be stored as you would consumer fireworks, which common sense should compel you to do. The seller determines the requirements for purchase, which explains why some require an ATF license but it is intended to be sold to individuals with a knowledge of the safe handling of fireworks with professional type effects. We carry a full line of Articles at Fire Art and at our sister company ACE Pyro. Feel free to check out the different items available. Many of these are simple and inexpensive ways to elevate a show to the next level. Strobe pots, flame projectors, comets, mines, fan slices, waterfalls, cakes, gerbs. All sorts of items!

http://www.fireartcorp.com/Shop/Articles

http://www.acepyro.com/Shop/Articles

Shooter
07-23-2015, 09:19 PM
Shooter- Anything carrying the Articles Pyrotechnic designation UN0431 falls into this category. As it is not "regulated" product it does not need to be stored as 1.3 and 1.1 does. It is still 1.4 and needs to be stored as you would consumer fireworks, which common sense should compel you to do. The seller determines the requirements for purchase, which explains why some require an ATF license but it is intended to be sold to individuals with a knowledge of the safe handling of fireworks with professional type effects. We carry a full line of Articles at Fire Art and at our sister company ACE Pyro. Feel free to check out the different items available. Many of these are simple and inexpensive ways to elevate a show to the next level. Strobe pots, flame projectors, comets, mines, fan slices, waterfalls, cakes, gerbs. All sorts of items!

http://www.fireartcorp.com/Shop/Articles

http://www.acepyro.com/Shop/Articles

Thanks Fire Art for clarifying AP's. Evidently, most dealers would like for the consumer to have some experience with these products. I personally like them for the reasons you stated above. They add variety and mystique to a show at nominal costs.

chriskrc
08-03-2015, 08:02 AM
These items are great in the videos and I can see how they would elevate a show. Once I do the atf process and if I get the license I ultimately plan to purchase some of these products.

KentuckyPyro
08-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Chris you do not need an ATF 54 license to shoot Articles of Pyrotechnics. Just need to prove you know what you are doing. You can even store AP's the same as you would any 1.4g items. They fall under 1.4g specifications in storage, manufacturing, distributing. The only thing different is shooting them. They have to be electric fired and keep them from falling over while shooting them. But I do agree they offer a great variety of effects to a consumer show for sure.

chriskrc
08-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Chris you do not need an ATF 54 license to shoot Articles of Pyrotechnics. Just need to prove you know what you are doing. You can even store AP's the same as you would any 1.4g items. They fall under 1.4g specifications in storage, manufacturing, distributing. The only thing different is shooting them. They have to be electric fired and keep them from falling over while shooting them. But I do agree they offer a great variety of effects to a consumer show for sure.

I see from the other posts that you don't need the 54 but it still wouldn't hurt to have it plus I plan on getting it anyway. I did however see online ( not sure what site it was, it was a few months ago ) , that you couldn't purchase them from there without it. I will check it out again and see if it's the same.