PDA

View Full Version : ATF License for 1.3g fireworks in NYS

Blackdevil77
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Hello all! I am new to these forums but have been a firework lover/enthusiast my whole life. I am a bit on the younger side, but have been waiting until I reach 21 to try to get my ATF license to be able to purchase and use 1.3g fireworks legally. I am just a little unclear of what New York State requires to legally buy and use these fireworks, and what I have to do to go about getting what I need to purchase and use these fireworks in New York. I live in Long Island, Nassau County, not in the city if that makes a difference and from the bit of reading I have done, it does. I also read somewhere that in New York, in addition to an ATF license, you will also need a NYS license of some sort to buy and use these fireworks. What do I have to do to get this license? Should I visit my local precinct for information? I am unclear of where to start.

I know that after acquiring my license that I will have to get a venue pre-approved prior to the date of shooting off my fireworks, but right now I am just concentrating on getting my ATF license and what ever else I will need for NYS.

Thank you all!

-Mario

jknepp1954
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
first of all, turn 21 first before anything else.
In the mean time, I strongly suggest getting PGI certifed and working as a shooter/apprentice for a display company. They will have their own training program anyway. Grucci Fireworks is one and is BAY fireworks out that way too?
When you do turn 21, then start the paperwork for your ATF license. You will need a contingency storage area for this - that is why i suggest working for a company, and then "maybe" they will let you store 1.3 in their bunker.
As far as NYS laws - I am sure one of the NYS guys will chime in here on that - there is some lic there you need to apply and get, test to take, etc.
Also consider joining a fireworks club(s). Then you can shoot legally at the many club events - see my signature for the clubs we belong to.
Good luck!
Joyce

Blackdevil77
06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the response! I am 21 so am old enough to apply for my license, but still would not mind in the least to work with a display company. I am familiar with Grucci and BAY fireworks does ring a bell, I'll have to check up on that. All the papers I need to apply for my ATF license are included in that 2 DVD kit that Dave is selling? I know for New York I will probably need more then that which is where it gets fuzzy for me.

Thanks again for the response, I will certainly take your advice and try to shoot for a display company, the training program would definitely be beneficial.

fanfireworks
06-05-2011, 06:46 PM
As far as NY State - You will need a NYS license issued from the NYS Dept of Labor. There are 2 different licenses 1. What they call and O&P which is own and poesses, #2 manufacture dealer. In addition to this NEW regulations in NY you will need to have a NY Shooters Certificate to shoot fireworks off in NY.

If you have no professional experience with 1.3 fireworks - they (ATF & NYS) may not issue you a license. Usually they want to see some kind of experience prior to issuing a license.

As Joyce stated above you will need to have a licensed storage place. You will have to have your own magazine or have someone with a magazine allow you to store your stuff. Most companies will not do this because of liability reasons. You will need proof of this to get a license.

Next - Insurance. Are you planning to shoot fireworks just for yourself or to do a show for money. NEW regulations in NY require a minimum of 1,000,000 insurance on the display to get a permit to shoot fireworks, some towns/cities may require more. If you decide to do a shoot for pay that changes everything that puts you "in commerce" which requires much much more.

Hope this helps.

Scott

www.FantasyFireworksDisplay.com

Blackdevil77
06-05-2011, 06:53 PM
As far as NY State - You will need a NYS license issued from the NYS Dept of Labor. There are 2 different licenses 1. What they call and O&P which is own and poesses, #2 manufacture dealer. In addition to this NEW regulations in NY you will need to have a NY Shooters Certificate to shoot fireworks off in NY.

If you have no professional experience with 1.3 fireworks - they (ATF & NYS) may not issue you a license. Usually they want to see some kind of experience prior to issuing a license.

As Joyce stated above you will need to have a licensed storage place. You will have to have your own magazine or have someone with a magazine allow you to store your stuff. Most companies will not do this because of liability reasons. You will need proof of this to get a license.

Next - Insurance. Are you planning to shoot fireworks just for yourself or to do a show for money. NEW regulations in NY require a minimum of 1,000,000 insurance on the display to get a permit to shoot fireworks, some towns/cities may require more. If you decide to do a shoot for pay that changes everything that puts you "in commerce" which requires much much more.

Hope this helps.

Scott

www.FantasyFireworksDisplay.com

The license is more for personal use/hobby. I have no problem doing what I need to do to get the licenses/permits, Just need to know what has to be done. Would a training course for 1.3 fireworks be enough for the ATF to issue a license or do they want more?

fanfireworks
06-05-2011, 07:08 PM
maybe - they look at each applicant individually. I am not saying that they won't license you. but just know that they can use lack of experiecne against you. ALSO - it's not just ATF New York can be the same way - and as long as your in NY you must have both licenses.

Blackdevil77
06-05-2011, 07:43 PM
maybe - they look at each applicant individually. I am not saying that they won't license you. but just know that they can use lack of experiecne against you. ALSO - it's not just ATF New York can be the same way - and as long as your in NY you must have both licenses.

I understand. How much experience would you say (ballpark guess) would make it so they will most likely license you? I would have no problem shooting for a professional company for the experience. Also, is it possible that one approves you for your license while the other denies you? For example, you get approved for your ATF license but NYS denies you

fanfireworks
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Cant really say. I would suggest that you should maybe look in to a storage location and then when you turn 21 talk to the licenseing agencies - It don't hurt to try. If you can, you might want to consider taking a shooter course or working a show or two for a licensed company. In your area . You have Grucci and Bay Fireworks near you. Both are HUGE companies and most likely one of them would have something for you to do over the next couple weeks. I am in Upstate NY - North of Albany -about 4 hours or so from you. I only shot on the Island once and it was many, many years ago.

Hope this info helps.

Scott

indianahx
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Here in Indiana they (ATF) don't care about your experience or lack thereof with 1.3g fireworks. My lady came over, first thing she asked was "what are your intentions and what do you want to do?" So I told her straight up. She even helped me correct some of the lines on my application. She was basically there to make sure everything was set in place to do things correctly. Now, if I want to do any kind of 1.3 fireworks (even just one shell) I have to get a state permit and part of that requires a "shooters resume". So for me, the atf wasnt looking at inexperience as a way to deter or deny me. Just my experience with the process. BTW all in all it took about 60 days from mailing the packet to my interview. Two more weeks after that to have physical license in hand.

J's12talk
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
The first thing that you need to get is a NY State shooters card. Call up the state dept. of license and certification to see what they want for experience before taking the test. Last I heard the test wasn't in place as of yet. The only way to get the card was to be grandfathered in. That takes 5 shoots as the lead pyro over three years for a company. Play time is over when your dealing with 1.3g product, I've seen some people get their type 54 permit and they don't know what side of the shell is up and that scares the crap out of me. Striaght up you or someone else could die! Work for a company, get your experience, take your time and learn.

Blackdevil77
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I should have been clearer in my original post. I am 21 years old, I made it sound like I was waiting to become 21, my mistake. I will certainly take a shooter course, I was looking at the Grucci course, 4 classes, 2 week ends, $175 bucks. I have my whole life as experience with consumer fireworks. I do plan on learning and gaining experience, that never hurts and I would shoot for a professional company with pleasure. I'm not rushing to get my ATF license. It would be nice to get it within a year, but I wanna take my time, do everything right and get everything I need.

J's12talk
06-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Didn't mean to come across so hard on you. In NY a type 54 permit is not easy to get, I wasn't even allowed to get a contigency plan, I had to get a cohabitation certificate for someone elses mag. That will be $100 dollars more a year for NY state please. They made it so tough on me I almost gave up and I've been shooting professionally for years. I hope things go better for you. Any help you need just PM me.

Blackdevil77
06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Didn't mean to come across so hard on you. In NY a type 54 permit is not easy to get, I wasn't even allowed to get a contigency plan, I had to get a cohabitation certificate for someone elses mag. That will be $100 dollars more a year for NY state please. They made it so tough on me I almost gave up and I've been shooting professionally for years. I hope things go better for you. Any help you need just PM me.

Wow that is unbelievable. New York State can be a pain sometimes. I gotta figure something out with storage. Thanks for the reply, I will PM with more questions which I certainly will have.

sagestats
06-09-2011, 08:04 PM
I had my ATF interview today. I submitted the application on April 2nd. The interviewer said that if I don't have my card by the 1st of July to call. Thanks Dave for the great video (CD's). I was a great help and well worth the money. The whole process took less than 30 minutes at my home.

Pyro Nation
06-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Congrats Sage... Maybe if we can get enough people in NY we can change the minds of everyone

Blackdevil77
06-10-2011, 06:40 AM
I had my ATF interview today. I submitted the application on April 2nd. The interviewer said that if I don't have my card by the 1st of July to call. Thanks Dave for the great video (CD's). I was a great help and well worth the money. The whole process took less than 30 minutes at my home.

Congrats! Hopefully I wont be too far behind! I wanna see some videos of some of your shows! :D

For New Yorkers, do you have to get your licenses in any order or it doesn't matter? Like ATF license first, or NYS license?