PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 18R

Jimbo618
06-15-2015, 10:18 PM
I have a cobra 18R Like brand new still im looking to get rid of if anyone out there is thinking of getting a new system.. Only looking for $100 so that would be half off if u bought a brand new one. Im getting a 18R2 only reason to get rid of it.. Ill just have no use for it and figure someone out there could put this to use.. I bought it last year and is 3.0.3 software.. Only been used a hand full of times and stored in case.(Case not included).If this post is not ok dave delete it.. Just wanna offer this great deal to the community.. Pm me to get in touch

displayfireworks1
06-15-2015, 10:53 PM
Was Cobra offering a trade in price on some of these remotes if you upgraded?

Jimbo618
06-16-2015, 02:07 PM
I didnt look into that.. Guess i will ty

Kepplec
06-16-2015, 10:59 PM
I just traded mine in for the exact same reason.. I usd my 18R once to fire a few shots and play with it and figured out I wanted/needed the 18R2 quickly... Sent it out yesterday...

Bowpro34
07-09-2015, 09:51 PM
I have a cobra 18R Like brand new still im looking to get rid of if anyone out there is thinking of getting a new system.. Only looking for $100 so that would be half off if u bought a brand new one. Im getting a 18R2 only reason to get rid of it.. Ill just have no use for it and figure someone out there could put this to use.. I bought it last year and is 3.0.3 software.. Only been used a hand full of times and stored in case.(Case not included).If this post is not ok dave delete it.. Just wanna offer this great deal to the community.. Pm me to get in touch

Sent a PM your way!

Northern Sky
07-10-2015, 09:51 AM
Was Cobra offering a trade in price on some of these remotes if you upgraded?

Scott buys them back for $100. You can usually get $150 for them if you ask.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-29-2016, 11:14 AM
I was just looking at the Cobra 18R system, and it looks like you folks are trying to get rid of the same system! That has me a bit concerned. What's the deal with the 18R? Is it just not up to snuff with the newer technology? If I buy one today I would think it's fairly new technology. Seeing as how your posts are a year old, I'm guessing that maybe time has passed this system by.

I sent a PM a few days ago to the user "cobrafiringsystems" to get some info on the 18R. Should I be asking about a different system instead? What do you folks recommend for the "not-for-hire", one shoot per year pyro enthusiast like me?

Bazerk
06-29-2016, 12:22 PM
I was just looking at the Cobra 18R system, and it looks like you folks are trying to get rid of the same system! That has me a bit concerned. What's the deal with the 18R? Is it just not up to snuff with the newer technology? If I buy one today I would think it's fairly new technology. Seeing as how your posts are a year old, I'm guessing that maybe time has passed this system by.

I sent a PM a few days ago to the user "cobrafiringsystems" to get some info on the 18R. Should I be asking about a different system instead? What do you folks recommend for the "not-for-hire", one shoot per year pyro enthusiast like me?

The ability to script shows is huge. Its not the technology of the device. All of the cobra stuff is top notch, but if you dont think ahead, this is what happens. The 18R will do all that a lot of users need it to do. However, if you want to push yourself and your show to the next level, the a8R2 allows you to do that with scripting shows. Well worth the extra money even if you dont use it now.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-30-2016, 03:13 AM
The ability to script shows is huge. Its not the technology of the device. All of the cobra stuff is top notch, but if you dont think ahead, this is what happens. The 18R will do all that a lot of users need it to do. However, if you want to push yourself and your show to the next level, the a8R2 allows you to do that with scripting shows. Well worth the extra money even if you dont use it now.

Ahh. That's the difference. Makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-30-2016, 03:13 AM

Ahh. That's the difference. Makes sense. Yeah I'd be ticked if I laid out $200-$300 for a system and then wanted to do some scripting and found out I couldn't. Always best to plan ahead. Thanks for the info!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-17-2016, 06:42 PM
So I'm looking into a Cobra system for next year. I'm also looking at the prices and wondering if I'm the only person in here who thinks spending $1700 for a system capable of firing 100 cues is excessive for the back yard enthusiast. Or are you folks using the "slats" to extend your cues on a single firing module? What am I missing? (Besides $1700!)

ras1986
07-17-2016, 07:00 PM
That's about what I spent. One 18r2 and 4 18 m's. When are your planning on ordering? I'm going to order a bunch of 18m's so if we bought together we could get a better break in pricing. Oh and as far as slats go..... by the time you buy cables and everything you could just get another mod

displayfireworks1
07-17-2016, 08:39 PM
If you new at this you can start out with just one module and one remote. Not that it will always occur but in the past Cobra had a sale once or twice a year for the last few years. Same with the FireTek. I would also consider adding some racks to your collection of pyro accessories. Firing systems, racks , wire , fuse etc, these are all necessary for advancing fireworks enthusiast. To some degree racks and firing systems are investments. They hold a good portion of their value.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-18-2016, 06:46 AM
That's about what I spent. One 18r2 and 4 18 m's. When are your planning on ordering? I'm going to order a bunch of 18m's so if we bought together we could get a better break in pricing. Oh and as far as slats go..... by the time you buy cables and everything you could just get another mod

Good question ras. I didn't run the numbers until yesterday to figure out just how expensive this system is. Best guess is, if I do decide to buy them, it's probably going to have to be around the holidays. Who knows... Maybe they'll go on sale for Christmas.

Obviously you're using one now. What kind of ignitors do you use with them? I don't have a 54 yet, so I can't by e-match. I know there's a consumer version of e-match, but I don't know how good it works compared to the "pro" stuff. Then there are the talons I used this year.

Any idea if the consumer e-match is any good? Would the talons work better, the same, worse?

Rick_In_Tampa
07-18-2016, 07:08 AM
If you new at this you can start out with just one module and one remote. Not that it will always occur but in the past Cobra had a sale once or twice a year for the last few years. Same with the FireTek. I would also consider adding some racks to your collection of pyro accessories. Firing systems, racks , wire , fuse etc, these are all necessary for advancing fireworks enthusiast. To some degree racks and firing systems are investments. They hold a good portion of their value.

My understanding is one module and one remote will give me 18 cues. According to the Cobra website, I can fire "up to 10 series-wired e-matches, or 4 parallel-wired e-matches or Talon brand igniter clips per cue." I'm told that you want to stay away from wiring in series because if one fails to fire, they all fail to fire. So parallel would be the way to go, and that would allow me to fire 72 cakes, 4 at a time. Obviously, a second ignitor module would bring the total cues up to 144 (wired in parallel). That might be doable. I'd still have to string a few things with visco, but I could certainly use the visco on the opening cakes and save the Cobra cues for the middle and back side of the show. That sounds like a plan.

Right now I use 4 milk crate racks (100 tubes total) and I have one 36 shot fan rack from Pyro Boom. Next year I planned on buying 300 more mortar tubes and another 36 shot fan rack to bring the total mortar count to 472. That will be all fast fused together and I can use my current remote system to fire that. So between the two systems I should be able to make this work. I've still got piles of visco, but I'm definitely going to need to stock up on some talons or consumer e-match. Which would you recommend with the Cobra system? Does one work better than the other in your opinion?

Bazerk
07-18-2016, 09:34 AM
My understanding is one module and one remote will give me 18 cues. According to the Cobra website, I can fire "up to 10 series-wired e-matches, or 4 parallel-wired e-matches or Talon brand igniter clips per cue." I'm told that you want to stay away from wiring in series because if one fails to fire, they all fail to fire. So parallel would be the way to go, and that would allow me to fire 72 cakes, 4 at a time. Obviously, a second ignitor module would bring the total cues up to 144 (wired in parallel). That might be doable. I'd still have to string a few things with visco, but I could certainly use the visco on the opening cakes and save the Cobra cues for the middle and back side of the show. That sounds like a plan.

Right now I use 4 milk crate racks (100 tubes total) and I have one 36 shot fan rack from Pyro Boom. Next year I planned on buying 300 more mortar tubes and another 36 shot fan rack to bring the total mortar count to 472. That will be all fast fused together and I can use my current remote system to fire that. So between the two systems I should be able to make this work. I've still got piles of visco, but I'm definitely going to need to stock up on some talons or consumer e-match. Which would you recommend with the Cobra system? Does one work better than the other in your opinion?

Use the consumer e-match. With the igniter clips you still have the delay because of the visco on the cake burning. With the e-match you can put the match in the hole where the visco goes in and get an immediate response when pushing the fire button. No delay makes timing much easier! Also, add to your list a brass awl. Google it and you will see what I mean. They are excellent! I have 4 of them so I can allow other people to help me prep my cakes every year, lol.

displayfireworks1
07-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Do you watch my videos. I have videos posted about both types of electric match , an awl , quickmatch and a two part video about connecting wire and electric match. Go to the video section of pyrotalk. I have these videos categorized. i talk about the firing systems , Cobra Show creator , using a cell phone as a remote. I recommend to start with the basic wiring videos and go from there.
Start with this one.
http://pyrotalk.com/fireworks-wire-and-e-match-part-1-of-2.php

ras1986
07-18-2016, 01:36 PM
If you buy theverything 18m with the internal lipo battery you can fire 5? Or 8? In parallel