PDA

View Full Version : COBRA Firing Systems Tutorial Video

cobrafiringsystems
06-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Dear PYROTALK members,

Dave has performed a full length tutorial video on the new COBRA Firing Systems. Please feel free to watch the video and ask any questions about the system and I'll be happy to address on the forum. Dave does a great job detailing the features of the system and many of the safety aspects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DC6AE88_U
COBRA will continue to make improvements to the system in both software and hardware. You can also visit our website at http://www.cobrafiringsystems.com or our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cobrafiringsystems.

Hope the video is informative and enjoyable. Thanks Dave for a job well done.

Regards, Scott Smith
COBRA Firing Systems

pyromaniac
06-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Very nice system! Can't wait to get my hands on one.

UniversalPyro
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
I hope the system is better than the customer service i've delt with. The dealer i am getting the system from screwed me and i still dont have my system. I bought 3 modules for memorial day and i pre ordered over a month ago and the dealer still couldnt get it to me. All i know is i got alot of empty promises and a big show to light everything by hand. I would suggest cobra really looks at who is selling their systems.

Pyro@Mach13
06-01-2011, 10:00 PM
hmmmm.. I heard Scott's customer support is first class. Have you called him direct?

UniversalPyro
06-01-2011, 10:53 PM
I wish i did call Scott.... My memorial day shoot was great but still alot of prep time with no system. Im just upset cause i preorder for a date to get it and i kept getting run around.

cobrafiringsystems
06-02-2011, 06:23 AM
Hello UniversalPyro,

I am so sorry you had this experience -- this is the first I have heard of this. We have made all commitments to our customers shipping direct and to our dealers.

Please email me direct at ssmith@cobrafiringsystems.com with the details and we'll make this right. Customer service is extremely important to us so this hurts to read that you had a bad experience.

Thanks, Scott Smith

Pyro@Mach13
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Hello UniversalPyro,

I am so sorry you had this experience -- this is the first I have heard of this. We have made all commitments to our customers shipping direct and to our dealers.

Please email me direct at ssmith@cobrafiringsystems.com with the details and we'll make this right. Customer service is extremely important to us so this hurts to read that you had a bad experience.

Thanks, Scott Smith

Awesome, I guess I heard right!!! 8-)

cobrafiringsystems
07-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Dear PyroTalk Members,

Please find some newly added videos to our YouTube channel below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaecRIIJlfw&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBB_s16OS0&feature=youtu.be

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me direct or post any questions / comments to this forum.

Thanks! Scott Smith

Albone
07-05-2011, 10:23 PM
This is one sick system. I figured once I got the systems I have I would never look at another again. Well this little system has caught my eye for sure. Can't wait to get one.

Pyro Nation
07-05-2011, 10:26 PM
I LOVE THIS SYSTEM... I used it 3 times this weekend... Never let me down once. I love the fact I was able to test the channel to make sure all was set off before moving on to next channel. Great work on this System putting this together

UniversalPyro
07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Pyroliffic...did you shoot all single cues? also did you use electric match or clips? i had problems with shooting 2 cakes at one time with clips, i think it was the clips though... let me know

Pyro Nation
07-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I used ematch.. had some with 2, 3, and 4 ematch per cue.

UniversalPyro
07-06-2011, 08:03 PM
must be the clips...bunch of junk for loading cues......

cobrafiringsystems
07-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi UniversalPyro,

Can you tell me what brand of batteries you were using? If your using any of the lower quality batteries such as Everready / Rayovac or any type of re-chargable less than 500 mAh you'll have a tough time with multiple Talon clips per cue. Using a standard Duracell / Energizer Alkaline or higher mAh rated re-chargables (e.g. Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer) you'll have no problems firing up to 3-4 clips per cue. Using e-match you can fire up to 10 in series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQBB_s16OS0

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Scott

Pyro Nation
07-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Also Universal Make sure u have the module set for Igniters and not Ematch

cobrafiringsystems
07-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Also Universal Make sure u have the module set for Igniters and not Ematch

Agreed. We ship all units in a default e-match mode. You'll know the module is in e-match mode if you fire a cue and the module LED turns on and off very quickly (1/10th of a second). If you press SYNC and CH+ at the same time you'll see 2.0 display on the module. This indicates that the cue will fire for 2.0 seconds vs. 0.1 seconds which is not ideal for Talon clips and will create non-fire situations. If you press SYNC and CH- at the same time you'll toggle back to 0.1 seconds. Once set, you can always change, but the system remembers the setting even if you remove the batteries.

The reason we have both modes is because it's not uncommon for an e-match to create a hard short. If a subsequent cue is fired while the previous cue was hard-shorted in the 2 second time-frame, the current would go through the shorted cue (least resistance) and not the e-match and therefore create a non-fire situation. Hence the mode on the module to support both.

cobrafiringsystems
07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
must be the clips...bunch of junk for loading cues......

Note also that any clips other than Talon brand (also sold under different brands) won't be very reliable. The clips sold with the small infrared systems can have as high as a 20-30% failure rate on thick lacquered fuses. You can always tell a Talon brand by the 007 embossed on the end of the clip.

UniversalPyro
07-08-2011, 10:23 PM
yes i have Energizer batteries, but im sure it was the clips, not talon brand. Im just gonna do it right and go with electric match, also i did set the systems for the ignitor clips. The system is great, but those ignitors were not the best, half of them fell apart just working with them. and the wires are as thin as a string of hair.

Pyro Nation
07-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah... Consumer Igniters are nice if ya can not get ematch, but they do break easy

cobrafiringsystems
07-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Dear PyroTalk.com Members,

A few updates!

COBRA to attend PGI Convention for 2nd year

COBRA will be attending our 2nd PGI convention this year from August 6th to August 13th in Fargo, North Dakota. You can find us in the trade show area and also the supply tent. We'll be offering live demos in the class C shooting area and will be giving out free Talon-brand consumer igniter clips. Swing by our booth for a schedule and shoot the system for yourself! We'll also be attempting to organize a system stress test where we want to fire over 50 modules from single remote. Make sure to bring your systems and we'll be working with Dan Creagan (PGI VP) to organize what we can. Lastly, if you would like a system software upgrade, swing by the booth as we'll be doing them for free. It only takes a few minutes to perform, and we'll have you on your way.

A few YouTube updates...

We have been actively updating our YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/cobrafiringsystems. If you have any videos of shows shot using the COBRA system, please let us know and we'll add them to our favorites. We recently added some new videos including the repair of an 18M module demonstrating the modular design of our system, and a cool video firing 180 e-matches in 1.8 seconds. Dave also posted a new video of our systems used in a small community display in Muse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL38Pkf1QzA

As always, if you have any questions you can email me direct at ssmith@cobrafiringsystems.com.

Scott Smith

cobrafiringsystems
08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Dear PyroTalk.com members,

A quick new YouTube video that we had a lot of fun putting together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7sgUCnOogY

Filmed at 2011 PGI in Fargo, ND is a successful stress test of the COBRA firing system with the main purpose of ensuring no latency in firing with a high quantity of modules on the same network as requested by members of passfire.com.

- 7 firing positions with four to five 18-cue COBRA modules per position
- Each module had six to 18 cues wired
- All positioned fired instantly with a 0.4 second sequence on 20 modules on the same channel, 7 positions fired half-way through on a 0.3 second sequence
- Included 5 cakes and 325 individual effects gathered from ripping apart cheap cakes and wiring each tube individually
- Effects included random mines, comets, single shot tubes and fountains
- All but about 5-6 effects did not fire due to us some wires not being hooked up and lack of continuity testing -- we were in a major rush as there was a tornado warning and severe weather that hit 5 minutes after the shoot
- The dribble in the end came from fountains and a few smaller cakes fired mid-show