PDA

View Full Version : Using lead dioxide as an oxidizer for impact sensitive projectiles

FaithyReturns
05-22-2015, 06:22 PM
Hey there, here's it all in a Guinness ball so to speak. Modified wrist rocket to include four bands merging together as one, enlarged pouch, and a smooth guard that projects from hand to face made out of a military flack jacket and fiberglass sanded smooth and painted with enamel.

Fizzy balls from Guinness beer are fairly thick walled and make great coyote chasers or for plinking at stuff out where you are sure of your backdrop. I had the need for a nonlethal way of chasing away vermin and this is what I came up with. They are great fun but the comp filled projectiles tend to drift and loose accuracy over any real distance and sometimes fail to explode. At longer ranges, these failures are likely due to inadequate impact force, and being too light to set off the silver fulminate primer inside. The primers are glued in place using CA glue first, then the report composition is added thereafter. If I use any effects like spherical titanium or anything that will rattle around, I always use a filler to take up the head space that still leaves room for gas expansion, but minimal effect on the ratios in the composition.

I don't have a death wish, nor do I want any trouble with the law... I'm basically using them the same way as they would use California seal bombs, but for longer distances and for faster moving nuisances.

I tried a composition using lead dioxide from a lead acid battery and German black aluminum and with the extra weight, they acted like regular ball bearings with much less drift and had no trouble with duds. However, I have not yet found much on the internet about using such an oxidizer for pyrotechnics. It may be either unstable or otherwise unsuitable in some way, so I will soon began trying various mix combinations in tiny quantities, each in their own separate baggie, labeled and hanging out on the fence for days or however long I decide to leave them, taking note of any that disappear or go bang in the night.

Has anyone employed lead dioxide before for anything pyrotechnic? I remember using it in organic chemistry where it serves as a strong reducing agent for redox rxns, but it didn't cross my mind until I needed the weight. And it seems comparable in effectiveness to perchlorate in the same ratios. What's the scoop with it? It's cheap, it's abundant but not very 'Green' yet I would think it would compare to lead projectiles environmentally speaking... Except for it being much finer particles.

Thanks for your kind advice and information.

displayfireworks1
05-26-2015, 10:27 PM
Unusual first post. Of all the pyrotechnic chemicals out there I never heard of Lead Dioxide being used for fireworks. for some reason I thought it would look gray in color but it appears to be black.
http://file1.lookchemmall.com/mallproduct/13/11/11/139501_162154207.jpg
To simplify what your paragraph, what are you trying to make, an impact explosive firecracker? I do see where this chemical is used to make matches.

FaithyReturns
05-30-2015, 01:48 PM
Unusual first post. Of all the pyrotechnic chemicals out there I never heard of Lead Dioxide being used for fireworks. for some reason I thought it would look gray in color but it appears to be black.
http://file1.lookchemmall.com/mallproduct/13/11/11/139501_162154207.jpg
To simplify what your paragraph, what are you trying to make, an impact explosive firecracker? I do see where this chemical is used to make matches.

Well, yes... An impact sensitive mini flash bang of sorts for running off coyotes and instilling a bit of respect in them for me and my livestock. The livestock may actually learn to associate the explosions they fear with the coyotes too... Which would be of added benefit. I usually just shoot the vermin whenever they get too bold, but these seemed like a fun alternative to experiment with.

Except the projectiles are too light with using two grams of the normal 70/30 comp; they need to have enough weight in order to behave more like a sling projectile, or a ball bearing, instead of a cotton ball. I wouldn't ever attempt to throw it with a true sling though. That's why I modified a sling shot with four lengths of surgical tubing so it has some extra punch...two bands felt too weak, I'm used to an eighty pound draw when shooting my bow for instance.

Thus far they work really well and I've put spherical titanium in some of them and you should see the gymnastics those coyotes can do!

My big question was what people thought about how lead dioxide behaves when combined with various other metals and fuels. Lead being one of the most unreactive metals there is, intuitively it should eagerly donate its oxygen to most anything given the chance...and that may cause it to be unstable when combined with any nitrates or chlorine donors for example. Hence my paragraph about putting out little baggies with different chemicals and the lead dioxide to check compatibility one chem at a time. Having not found the normal well studied literature one typically finds about pyro stuff on line, I wanted to bring it up to the forum for a good discussion.

Other than that, lead dioxide works splendidly 70/30 aluminum and seems to behave about the same as potassium perchlorate does. In open, unconfined conditions, it is quite violent when mixed with magnesium--I don't trust it with 1-11 micron magnesium and see no reason to stray from the tried and true flash anyway, but needed something heavier and lead fit the application. Hopefully this clarifies my intentions. Safe as possible, great fun, and of course hopefully still on this side of the grey margin in legality.

Thanks everyone!

FaithyReturns
06-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Actually I found a couple Lancaster cracking star comps using lead dioxide

Crackling star A
89% lead (II, III, IV) oxide
11% Magnalium

Crackling star B
44% lead (II, III, IV) oxide
31% copper II oxide
17% magnalium
4% potassium nitrate
4% sulfur

With APNC filled ones, the tree near the point of impact was completely shattered at the trunk... I couldn't find any coyote, just some hair.

No, I didn't do that really... I was thinking maybe it would raise an eyebrow or two though. At any rate, I'll not make mention of my little lead deterrent balls anymore. Im getting the idea they are taboo skulduggery...

Chris H
06-18-2015, 01:50 AM
Those compositions don't actually use lead dioxide. The compound in question lead (II,II,IV) oxide, Pb3O4, and is more commonly called red lead.

There are a few primer and ignition mixes, as well as a colored inorganic smoke composition given in a book called "Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics" by Herbert Ellern (1968). It does have sensitizing properties, and can be used in many of the same applications as red lead.

countryboy7978
06-29-2015, 09:03 PM
Why don't you just buy some adult super snappers. They are as loud as a regular firecracker and much safer than playing with toxic and sensitive compositions. The one you are talking about will not work for your purposes. Do yourself and your fingers a favor and get the snappers.