PDA

View Full Version : Fusing A Cake(Spolletes Or Fast Fuse)

wizard7611
04-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Hello! I m currently planning on making a small cake for my show. I will have two trials of it to test it in the field. Anyway, this cake is a cake that starts to burn from the right side, burns all the way to the left side, and comes back. I want to construct this cake, but am forced to use fast fuse or spolletes, due to my limitations on cues. These two time delay devices will be used as a delay between each shot of the cake. I ask you this, what is more accurate, time fuse, or spolletes?

-Thanks!:cool:

wizard7611
04-03-2015, 03:34 PM
By the way, I chose Fireworks Manufacturing for this thread to be in due to the fact that I directly state that I am manufacturing a firework product, yet need advice with.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Fast Fuse & Time Fuse are two different things. I'm not sure if you are refering to 1/4" time fuse--or visco??? Time fuse & spollettes are equally reliable timing wise for shells & chains--but I don't see how you could incorporate a 1/4" spollette between tubes of a cake reliably.
There are a HUGE amount of different timing visco fuse available on the market. Look at the fuse cannonfuse dot com carries. You can get quite a variety there & the prices are very reasonable..

wizard7611
04-04-2015, 02:05 AM
Alright, here's what I was thinking. The spolletes would be made so that the burn time would be more accurate. I'm just not sure if my fast fuse that I bought from Pyrodirect.com, would be exact enough on burn times. Do not underestimate spolletes as a pyrotechnic device meant for delay, comparable to time fuse. I was hoping I could make the spolletes burn fast enough, in direct time with the fast fuse, if not, more accurate than the fast fuse. This cake is fast, but each shot has to be exact, if not, close to exact. What do you prefer me doing? Applying a black powder slurry to the ends of the fast fuse to ensure ignition, or leave them be? Could applying a black powder slurry increase the burn rate of the fast fuse? Oh yes, isn't that advertising, by the way?

PyroJoeNEPA
04-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Do not underestimate spolletes as a pyrotechnic device meant for delay, comparable to time fuse.
I'm not underestimating spollettes--I have been making them for years...I just don't see the physical integration into cake tubes as being practical----Just exactly how much time do you want between each tube? and what size tubes do you plan on using?

As far as advertising--I was simply telling you of a good source for varied delay time fuse. If that was out of line, Dave can surely delete my post & let me know about it. If more people on here were to tell the vendors--"I heard about you on PyroTalk" & encourage them to become advertisers it would help us all out. There are a lot of good vendors out there that are "in the shadows" to a large segment of the pyro community--especially when it comes to building supplies.
I could have given you that same info in a PM but I did not think it was out of line--I was merely trying to help you solve a problem.

SLAP
04-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Good grief...

wizard7611
04-05-2015, 07:19 PM
Good grief...

Not quite.

Okay, I understand. I am not really sure what Dave's advertising standards are, but I just wanted to point that out. I mentioned in my first post that the cake is meant to go fast. The exact time I'm shooting for is around .5 seconds or less.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-05-2015, 08:48 PM
If you want it to go fast, use double pieces of grey paper fuse covered with HVAC foil tape to protect it. Fire will fly for you--

PGH_Pyro
04-05-2015, 09:41 PM
sorry little bit of comic relief
i've got your spolette right here
:p

displayfireworks1
04-05-2015, 09:51 PM
I never heard of a Spollette used in a cake as fuse between mortars, maybe I missing something. The are multiple fuse suppliers out there, the prices are certainly reasonable. If you use a spollette in a cake I would love to see pictures or video of that. My experience is these are used in place of timed fuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOH1Fm1deI

wizard7611
04-05-2015, 09:54 PM
sorry little bit of comic relief
i've got your spolette right here
:p

But would if spollete was not fast?

wizard7611
04-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Yes, I have watched that spollete video before. I find it interesting how you could see the burning of the black powder from just looking at the clear tube.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-06-2015, 09:05 AM
That was neat that you could see the actual burn rate progressing thru the spolette as it went from the prime to the time powder. This is a pretty nice size spolette tube which would be used in a larger caliber shell. Small shells [3", 4"] would typically have a 1/4" diameter spolette --unless you were making a small diameter multi break shell.
Getting back to the OP question--why try & reinvent the wheel? Commercial visco is available in a huge selection of varying burn rates & is pretty consistent.

wizard7611
04-07-2015, 05:53 PM
I like to be unique, not repetitive.