PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Gold

NWPA
03-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Had the pyro itch yesterday and looked for something to light. Decided on a 50 pack of Cowboy Gold titanium. Heavy, lots of clay, 1-5/8" long. Trudged through the 2 feet of snow STILL in my yard, hung it up and lit it. Near as I could tell they all went off, quite nicely. Reaffirmed my like of 50mg firecrackers.

PyroManiacs
03-13-2015, 11:33 AM
LOL....Yea, Im itchin to light something up as well.

Training seminar in 10 days. :)

N3OQO
03-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Had the pyro itch yesterday and looked for something to light. Decided on a 50 pack of Cowboy Gold titanium. Heavy, lots of clay, 1-5/8" long. Trudged through the 2 feet of snow STILL in my yard, hung it up and lit it. Near as I could tell they all went off, quite nicely. Reaffirmed my like of 50mg firecrackers.

Snow is gone down here, and seeing the first buds on the trees already. Dying to light something here as well. Love big strings of crackers, you can create some serious thunder with em.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Had a club shoot [yeah--in the snow] two weeks ago & someone lit up a 10,000 string. Sweet! Another club shoot tomorrow, so the smoke is flowing.

NWPA
03-14-2015, 09:27 AM
Amazing how the sight, sound and smell, of something so simple can make you feel so good. Helps shake off the winter blues. Now if all the snow would just go away. Please.

pbjacker
07-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Only 10k?? My introduction to firecrackers was Chinese New Year while my dad was stationed in Hawaii in 1999. The locals didn't use any less than 100k, more often 500k. Most pets had to be sedated... They had long poles cemented into buckets from which they hang the strings.

countryboy7978
08-05-2015, 12:24 AM
pbjacker,

The firecracker rolls they use in Chinese celebrations are measured in TAU. While I can't tell you what TAU actually means I can tell you that a 100,000 TAU roll doesn't contain 100,000 firecrackers but roughly 16,000. I have not seen rolls typically sold that are longer than this due to weight and ease of use. The biggest I've heard of is roughly 20,000 crackers.

Also Cowboy Golds are good because they are well....good. They have been discontinued by the importer for a few years now. Get what you can.

pbjacker
08-07-2015, 09:35 AM
pbjacker,

The firecracker rolls they use in Chinese celebrations are measured in TAU. While I can't tell you what TAU actually means I can tell you that a 100,000 TAU roll doesn't contain 100,000 firecrackers but roughly 16,000. I have not seen rolls typically sold that are longer than this due to weight and ease of use. The biggest I've heard of is roughly 20,000 crackers.

Also Cowboy Golds are good because they are well....good. They have been discontinued by the importer for a few years now. Get what you can.

Thanks for setting me straight! I know they chained some, guess I need to research TAU.

PGH_Pyro
08-07-2015, 04:23 PM
i was a party recently where someone brought celebration strings and we just hung them over the basketball hoop ... worked well .. the higher up off the ground , the better for better sound and light effect .

pyropep
10-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Also Cowboy Golds are good because they are well....good. They have been discontinued by the importer for a few years now. Get what you can.[/QUOTE]

Can confirm that I got the last 2 cases they had

thechemist45
11-07-2015, 04:12 AM
TAU means 1/3 of whatever it says is how many actual crackers are there. If it says 5,000 TAU Then it's 1/3rd of that is how many crackers are truly there.

thechemist45
11-07-2015, 04:15 AM
TAU Means 1/3rd of the amount of whatever it says.

displayfireworks1
11-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Here we go with this Tau stuff again. Tau is a form of measurement similar to pi and has nothing to do with total number of firecrackers divided by anything. There may be some form of rough formula out there to guesstimate the firecracker count but it may not be reliable. The Chinese are doing some form of fuzzy mathematics to come up with that Tau number. It works in their favor because the average USA consumer things that is how many firecrackers are in the roll. The internet is full of the Tau vs Pi debate.
If I had time I would search the internet for some pictures of old rolls of firecrackers that used the Tau terminology, they had an additional sticker on the package that stated something along the "contains approximately 500 firecrackers" etc. Over the years that extra sticker disappeared.

NWPA
11-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Tau,Pi, what matters most is that they all go off with a nice bang. Right.