PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Barge Setup

westlondonpyrokid
02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi,
I'm just posting to see if anyone could offer me some advice on how to set up fireworks on a barge for a charity event.

I am very familiar with various types of firework, fuse, and equipment, and igniter types, including quick match.

I know how the fireworks will be layed out, however I am unsure of how to secure them on a barge.
A picture of the barge can be found attached to this post.

The pyro will consist of roman candles, and cakes from Sandling Fireworks and some shot tubes.
Any other advice will also be much appreciated.

Northern Sky
02-25-2015, 06:19 PM
If it will be on a navigable water way don't forget to get Coast Guard authorization.

The "Orange Book" will give you the number requirements for the setup itself.

A barge is a whole different animal.

westlondonpyrokid
02-25-2015, 06:30 PM
If it will be on a navigable water way don't forget to get Coast Guard authorization.

The "Orange Book" will give you the number requirements for the setup itself.

A barge is a whole different animal.
You only need permission from the Port Of London Authority Harbour Master for displays on the river Thames - they close the bridges on either side of the shoot site to stop river traffic.

westlondonpyrokid
02-25-2015, 06:43 PM
@Northern Sky,
Which orange book are you referring to - ATF or UN?

displayfireworks1
02-26-2015, 10:25 AM
It looks like they missed you are from the United Kingdom.
I have to be honest I hear these type of request often. They all sound like a "work a round", someone with a low budget is looking for a way to set of a fireworks display for an event. It on the surface looks rather simple. Pull up a flat boat and fire some fireworks off. If anyone is attempting any fireworks display in a major city and closing a bridges etc. needs coordinated, you are moving into professional territory. If someone wants fireworks in a rural area on private property that can be accomplished a little easier. You would also be surprised how much it cost to rent a barge for one day and have it moved into positions and then moved out of position. Some fireworks companies negotiate deals to use barges for multiple displays, reducing the cost. I would try to get the sponsor of the event o increase the budget and run that amount past two professional companies in the area.

westlondonpyrokid
02-26-2015, 12:23 PM
It looks like they missed you are from the United Kingdom.
I have to be honest I hear these type of request often. They all sound like a "work a round", someone with a low budget is looking for a way to set of a fireworks display for an event. It on the surface looks rather simple. Pull up a flat boat and fire some fireworks off. If anyone is attempting any fireworks display in a major city and closing a bridges etc. needs coordinated, you are moving into professional territory. If someone wants fireworks in a rural area on private property that can be accomplished a little easier. You would also be surprised how much it cost to rent a barge for one day and have it moved into positions and then moved out of position. Some fireworks companies negotiate deals to use barges for multiple displays, reducing the cost. I would try to get the sponsor of the event o increase the budget and run that amount past two professional companies in the area.
This is for a sea cadets unit, and will be fired opposite HMS belfast.
we have 3 hobbiest technicians and 1 pro technician in the unit, so can use uk cat 4 articles.

we have scripted the show already, which as a 2k max budget, a quarter of which has already been spent on ematches, fuse, and somemail pyro. Most of the fireworks are from Sandling Fireworks Pro Range.

we have spoken to the organiser and tried to convince him to hire a full pro crew, but he is unwilling to do so.

At present, the only issue we are having is finding a way to secure 1.3 and 1.4g pyro on the barge - could we just secure them to a board, or will we have to attach them to a frame?

Thanks for the reply dave

displayfireworks1
02-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Is this display for a military celebration?
Look at these pictures, is this your shoot site?
What Firing System will be used? Is it wireless?
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-1-929fba0d69c237b8754e5790187a1856be40b467.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-2-c3c479a038113b07b84d27a583f62e6212ed7d65.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-3-b846ab72f0e37204513ef39f492562131a8904e7.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-4-00def790a46a8819a16b9ca8a92c520f04935513.jpg

westlondonpyrokid
02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Is this display for a military celebration?
Look at these pictures, is this your shoot site?
What Firing System will be used? Is it wireless?
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-1-929fba0d69c237b8754e5790187a1856be40b467.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-2-c3c479a038113b07b84d27a583f62e6212ed7d65.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-3-b846ab72f0e37204513ef39f492562131a8904e7.jpg
http://pyrotalk.com/wp-photos/wp-content/gallery/united-kingdom/bellfast-4-00def790a46a8819a16b9ca8a92c520f04935513.jpg

Yes, directly opposite HMS Belfast.
50th anniversary of City Of London Sea Cadets being Based on HMS belfast.
Not exactly a military celebration, but a significant number of dignitaries and visit will be attending, such as varous Royal Navy Admirals and probably high ranking officers such as the first Sea Lord.

westlondonpyrokid
02-27-2015, 02:21 PM
A wireless firing system will be used.
We have 6 of these Kingdom firing systems to use: http://easypyro.com/kingdom-firing-system/20-cue-wireless-firing-system

PGH_Pyro
02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
wear life jackets ... have somewhere to get away from the racks . egress, regress and all that.

westlondonpyrokid
03-01-2015, 02:06 PM
wear life jackets ... have somewhere to get away from the racks . egress, regress and all that.

I will be firing from on board HMS Belfast, with a RIB on standby 25m away from the barge with firefighting equipment, and the means to deal with any faults on board so safety ect isn't really a big concern. my main concern is how I will secure pyro on the barge.

Northern Sky
03-01-2015, 03:02 PM
1.3 racks are built the same way as on the ground. Cakes need to braced. The biggest thing to consider is egress in the event there is an accident. I am sure standards there are different between the US and there for spacing but the most important thing to plan for is an accident and procedures to follow for every possibility.

You said no one will be on the barge while the show is going off? That make things a lot better but still keep in mind that hang fires are a real possibility for remote firing. Post show inspection and tear down are much more dangerous on barge shows.

westlondonpyrokid
03-01-2015, 05:59 PM
1.3 racks are built the same way as on the ground. Cakes need to braced. The biggest thing to consider is egress in the event there is an accident. I am sure standards there are different between the US and there for spacing but the most important thing to plan for is an accident and procedures to follow for every possibility.

You said no one will be on the barge while the show is going off? That make things a lot better but still keep in mind that hang fires are a real possibility for remote firing. Post show inspection and tear down are much more dangerous on barge shows.

So should be find with cakes taped to ladder rungs with sandbags at each end, and pyroquip mortar racks set up in braced blocks as if on the ground then...

Northern Sky
03-01-2015, 07:27 PM
I can't say that I have ever heard of this technique.

I'd check with the Fire Marshal or who ever the AHJ is in your area for the final word of procedures to follow.

displayfireworks1
03-01-2015, 09:31 PM
At this location in an unmanned barge with those firing systems at that budget. I would shoot the display using all cakes. You can put a nice cake display together using all 1.3 cakes. then finish up with some salute cakes in the finale. The downside of using mortars in an unmanned barge are, you can not see the mortars, if one tips over or blows apart you can fire the next shell and it is pointing towards the shore. If the main audience is directly across the river a cake display will look great. If you use large 1.3 cakes, you can just place them in position, stabilization is not a real issue. The size and weight alone will keep it in position.
Please get a video of the display and setup if you do the display, I would enjoy seeing it.

westlondonpyrokid
03-02-2015, 02:57 AM
I will. Won't be until April tho.

westlondonpyrokid
03-02-2015, 01:20 PM
I was actually thinking of using 25 war hawks for the finale. This can be seen at this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZBCh4xWdHY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I thought that they were quite loud already. Would the salute cakes really be necessary?

Shootingstar_pyro86
03-03-2015, 03:59 PM
I have done lots of shows on the water. They can be great.....They can also drive you to drink and lose all your hair. I would go with all cakes at the budget you have. Make sure they are all secured good. Also make sure you have all four points of the barge anchored really good. Not sure what the current in that river is, but would be a good ideal to check it. Now me personally I would go for a mix of color and "BIG BANG' at the end. So maybe a cake that has color but also a salute cake as well.

PyroManiacs
03-04-2015, 02:49 AM
Would the salute cakes really be necessary?

Is that trick question?

I never thought I would have heard anyone say that ever in my life, lol.

PGH_Pyro
03-04-2015, 11:23 AM
yes they're necessary !!!
you've got to bring the boom
:D

westlondonpyrokid
03-04-2015, 02:52 PM
The closest you get to a proper salute cake here is a 119db thunder king.
Most salutes are shells here.