PDA

View Full Version : hpw to set up fireworks

hatsgoods
05-20-2011, 04:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKdjPkSURw

indianahx
05-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow....I can't help but say wow. "i can't remember how far these suckers shoot out...." that for me was the deal breaker. Granted, its just a wheel but still. You nailed that thing REASONABLY CLOSE to that house. There are some places you can and can't do fireworks and there are places you should and shouldn't. Two different evils. And for me I wouldn't do anything in that enclosed space.

So in order to not completely cut the video up, I would never have purchased a wheel so no matter how basic thanks for the demo.....

J's12talk
05-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Wow....I can't help but say wow. "i can't remember how far these suckers shoot out...." that for me was the deal breaker. Granted, its just a wheel but still. You nailed that thing REASONABLY CLOSE to that house. There are some places you can and can't do fireworks and there are places you should and shouldn't. Two different evils. And for me I wouldn't do anything in that enclosed space.

So in order to not completely cut the video up, I would never have purchased a wheel so no matter how basic thanks for the demo.....

I agree that they should not have been playing with any fireworks in that area. I firmly believe that anyone that purchases fireworks should have some form of training even if it's a video that they have to watch. With that being said some people are just plain stupid no matter what they're told or warned about. Also I feel that lazyness is part of the problem, people don't want to go thru the effort of walking more than 10' to do anything. Side note, I love a good pinwheel, that wasn't one of them.

Pyro Nation
05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
And that folks is prime example of some sort of training before allowed to get a hold of fireworks...

Pyro@Mach13
05-21-2011, 12:51 PM
agree! training should be a prerequisite.

californiapyro
05-21-2011, 11:51 PM
aw, poor hatsgoods

hatsgoods
05-22-2011, 06:51 PM
thanks californiapyro

indianahx
05-23-2011, 06:09 AM
It's called constructive criticism....if you can't take it here you certainly won't be able to in the real world

PyroJoeNEPA
05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
At least let's give him credit for being concerned enough to have the hose on standby==even if he shouldn't have been so close to the house. Learning is a process--mentoring is a privilege. I remember when I was that age-going to a 4th of July show & watching from afar as the workers assembled the set pieces for the show. Now we are the workers & others are watching us. So let's encourage the youth & instill the importance for safety & supervision.

J's12talk
05-23-2011, 09:40 PM
At least let's give him credit for being concerned enough to have the hose on standby==even if he shouldn't have been so close to the house. Learning is a process--mentoring is a privilege. I remember when I was that age-going to a 4th of July show & watching from afar as the workers assembled the set pieces for the show. Now we are the workers & others are watching us. So let's encourage the youth & instill the importance for safety & supervision.

OK, a little hard on him but I bet his next video shows a much improved safety scenario. The best learned lessons of my youth were on the backside of my fathers hand. Any help and or advice that hatsgoods wants I will gladly give. Keep the faith hatsgood we will be there for you.

Hector
06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Just kind of FYI, Don't make a Tutorial unless you actually know what you are doing. For instance, there is a tutorial about how to make a ball shell or something where the person who is doing the tutorial actually says, "Yeah, I've never done this before." You can review all the stuff you want, but if you are going to make a tutorial about how to do something, it better be set up perfectly and have nothing go wrong, or it was a total waste.

indianahx
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Just kind of FYI, Don't make a Tutorial unless you actually know what you are doing. For instance, there is a tutorial about how to make a ball shell or something where the person who is doing the tutorial actually says, "Yeah, I've never done this before." You can review all the stuff you want, but if you are going to make a tutorial about how to do something, it better be set up perfectly and have nothing go wrong, or it was a total waste.

Is there an applause button?

californiapyro
06-02-2011, 12:33 AM
as true as that is, i think we might have scared him away... I mean, I know that there were flaws in the video but aren't we supposed to be an accepting community of pyrotechnic enthusiasts? I'm not trying to open a can of worms by any means, I'm just providing another point of view. I remember when I was 12 and starting out, I couldn't get anyone to help me, so I learned through trial, error, and 3rd degree burns. If this resource had been available, it would have been invaluable to me. Just food for thought

Hector
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM
I didn't mean to scare anyone away, we just don't really need a bunch of random videos on random things. I mean to say that the video didn't go that bad, but was quite unnecessary. If you were to make this a review of the spinner and not pretend that you were teaching people how to set one up correctly, then it would have been great.

The beauty of a review is that you can be informal, say random things, and even be totally ignorant (not saying that anyone was or is, you obviously knew how to set it up) and still come out ahead.

If you are going to make a tutorial, on the other hand, you must have several things. You must be straight forward in your explanations. You must have loads of knowledge on the subject, and enough wisdom to apply that knowledge in an easy to understand way. You must be concise. You need suitable surroundings and equipment to accomplish the task effectively and safely. You need a high quality video capture unit (good camera). A tripod to stabilise the camera. You need a good quality microphone. Good lighting, and video editing software to create the final product. Next you need a deep soothing voice to do a voice-over, and perhaps a little (non-annoying) elevator music in the background.

I probably forgot some things.
As a general recap, Tutorial= takes lots of time+money+skills for a good product.
Review= takes a few minutes with a camera and personal opinions, no experience required!

p.s.I am going to get all of this stuff and make a rant on Youtube, I mean a tutorial... lol

Hector
06-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Stated simply...

Every time that you make a bad tutorial people will think less of you and discount your channel as being just another channel created by some idiot when it is not. If you make a review of the same quality and effort as the tutorial, even though the audio is a little crackly and video is shaky and you don't know what you are going to say, people will enjoy the video and come back for more.

For instance I enjoyed your video "desret at night fouintan repeter cake firework". It was a pretty good example of that cake in action.

Hector
06-02-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm not trying to open a can of worms by any means, I'm just providing another point of view.

hahaha, you don't have to worry with me, I pack my own can opener, lol.

The worms were already spilling out in the bottom of the boat by the time you got here.

Hector
06-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Anyone else notice the title "hpw to set up fireworks"? hpw???????? Hewlett Packard Walrus? Help Picard Write?

Sorry that I went crazy with replys, but the little button was so cute I couldn't stop poking it... O.O

indianahx
06-02-2011, 06:41 AM
As I stated before this is called constructive criticism. Not all things in life are sugar coated on a silver spoon of happiness. No one has said "this video was terrible, get out and don't ever return to this forum". We've given our opinions on the matter. Isn't THAT what forums are for? Discussion??

floridapyro
07-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Well that was ......interesting?

indianahx
07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
The hatsgoods thread lives on!.......

tennpyro1
07-16-2011, 10:30 PM
in this hobby knowledge is power the more you know the better you are

ktaylor
07-27-2011, 04:58 PM
as true as that is, i think we might have scared him away... I mean, I know that there were flaws in the video but aren't we supposed to be an accepting community of pyrotechnic enthusiasts? I'm not trying to open a can of worms by any means, I'm just providing another point of view. I remember when I was 12 and starting out, I couldn't get anyone to help me, so I learned through trial, error, and 3rd degree burns. If this resource had been available, it would have been invaluable to me. Just food for thought

Thumbs-Up to you Cali for sticking your neck out there. I agree. Indiana....a bit on Constructive criticism....Start with a positive note, add the suggestion, end with another positive note. I'm not sure I've read that in any of the threads thus far.

indianahx
07-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the manners lesson on your initial post. I could have been a huge dick about the whole video but I wasn't. Hence why I also posted "this is called constructive criticism"

ktaylor
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you for the manners lesson on your initial post. I could have been a huge dick about the whole video but I wasn't. Hence why I also posted "this is called constructive criticism",

Hello Indianahx, my post was not about manners (or the lackthereof) at all. Rather, I was voicing that your statement labeling conversations within this thread as "constructive criticism" was false as each response lacked some key components to be Both Contructive and Criticising at the same time. You cannot simply rip on someone (criticism) and expect to have any credibility in your post if you do not offer a suggestion on improvement (the constructive part). Well, I suppose it is possible...but then you really would come off as a....what did you call it? :-)

hokester44
07-27-2011, 08:46 PM
There needs to be someone that locks up dead threads.

indianahx
07-28-2011, 06:02 AM
And people from criticizing others on their first post instead of introducing themselves

ktaylor
07-28-2011, 12:15 PM
And people from criticizing others on their first post instead of introducing themselves

Touche' indiana! You are correct on that one, please accept my apologies....I jumped right in instead of properly introducing myself. But it was one hell of an "opening" wasn't it?! ;-)

indianahx
07-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Touche' indiana! You are correct on that one, please accept my apologies....I jumped right in instead of properly introducing myself. But it was one hell of an "opening" wasn't it?! ;-)

It's alright. We've all done it. Not trying to call you out or anything....just trying to reiterate we DID give him the benefit of the doubt and kudos for at least doing us a demo or what not. There was no malice involved.