PDA

View Full Version : Lift charge

N3OQO
02-19-2015, 05:56 PM
What would you recommend for a 1.75 inch ball shell for lift? Opinions on shell to lift ratio? What powder would you recommend?

MIpyro
02-19-2015, 06:12 PM
you watch that crazies guy on youtube when he takes the shells apart most have between 7-10 grams of lift (blackpowder of some sort)

Playingwithfire85
02-19-2015, 07:24 PM
if you are using homemade black powder you can use 7-10 grams but if you tinker with goex i suggest starting around 5 grams

PyroJoeNEPA
02-19-2015, 07:45 PM
A very general rule of thumb is to use 1/10 the weight of the finished shell, so if the shell weighs 60 grams, you would use 6 grams of lift. 50 gram shell, 5 grams, etc.
There are many variables here--the size & type of powders varies greatly. Generally, "made in china" ball shells use a pretty fine lift powder similar to a 4fa,
If you are using commercial powder it may not be as "hot" as home made powder that has been milled.
Easiest thing is to shoot a couple test shells & see how they go. There comes a point where more lift powder will not make the shell go any higher, it only burns up coming out of the mouth of the gun.
If you don't want to waste stars testing shells, make a couple dummy shells up with sand in them. Weigh them & make a note of the amount of lift you use to get them "tweaked" to your liking.

You can use a heavier grain BP like 2FA but in a smaller shell the finer powder seems to work much better.

Northern Sky
02-19-2015, 10:21 PM
AS a suggestion, maybe you would like to attend a demo here: http://www.littlebigshots.net/.

They host a club that builds product safely.

Be careful. You are walking a thin line. For example, do you plan to discharge product the day it is made?

We do not need to contribute to "News at Eleven".

Food for thought.

Westpapyro
02-19-2015, 11:30 PM
June 7th, I might go too!

Northern Sky
02-20-2015, 01:05 AM
It might time out well for me too actually.