PDA

View Full Version : Side Boarding Racks

UniversalPyro
05-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Just want to see what the preference is on side boarding, i see how some put the board on the bottom of the racks like a wide board, but then in Dave's videos with Zembelli, i see they run like 3x3 or so boards across the top and 2on the sides. Which would you prefer and is one better than the other?

also, has anyone delt with a rack falling after boarding it?

and as far as the cakes - 1.3, is it best to stake the cakes or just open and shoot?

Pyro Nation
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
I use boards on the bottom opposite side. One facing to the left and the other side facing the right.

Use of cake's with stake or just open will depend on a few things when I am considering. Are the cakes going to be on a board or the ground? How is the cake shaped, How heavy is it. Most of the time I will stake them in

Example of when not staking. Lets take Thunder Kings. Smaller 25 shot cake. I will take 4 of them and group them together using Duct tape or any other strong tape. Gives a larger surface area when sitting them on a board and 1 stake if sitting on the ground.

mici59
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26681986@N08/2634580844/in/photostream

here is a good exaple of how racks should be secure. two pieces of 1 x 3 run down the top and bottom of each side, nailing into each rack.

as far as cakes, angled ones will rarely tip over as long as hey are on level ground. if you get into shooting cakes that have 2.5 or 3 inch shells inthem, definaletly stake them

Pyro Nation
05-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Thats fine to do mici if ya are doing multiple racks together.

UniversalPyro
05-17-2011, 07:54 PM
so if you do single rows, then board them at the bottom..

indianahx
05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
I might do a top and a bottom.....just for the reassurance to myself that THEY ARE BRACED....

mici59
05-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Do you only shoot shells out of single pipe?

I mean obviously if you have a 3 inch rack of 5 and are only shooting out of that rack there is nothing to brace the rack into on the top, but you should still drive a stake into the ground for extra support.

tgis81
05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I have 2 eye hooks on each side of my racks. I pound a looong metal steak down through the eye hooks on each side. Of course this is only possible if you are shooting from a grassy area. I'd either use the method above OR "end boards" (about a 3 foot long 1x4 nailed up against each end of the rack - using double headed nails, so they are easier to remove when the show is over). I have done shows for 2 different companies - one uses the steak method, one likes the end boards. I haven't used the method described in the above posts yet though.

Hector
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I pound a looong metal steak down through the eye hooks on each side. I have done shows for 2 different companies - one uses the steak method, one likes the end boards.

I don't think pounding a steak into the ground is going to work very well... Perhaps if it was badly burned or frozen...

indianahx
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
I don't think pounding a steak into the ground is going to work very well... Perhaps if it was badly burned or frozen...

Classic.......