PDA

View Full Version : Nitrocellulose Lacquer problem

whitepyro
05-13-2011, 05:29 PM
i have just had an attempt at making this composition but have failed.i simply cut up 6 ping pong balls into pieces as big as my fingernail and placed them in a mustard jar that has a steel lid and then filled the jar with acetone up to the top totally covering the cut up ping pong balls i.after i put the lid on i noticed the freshness tap on the lid had popped up and this showed that there was no leaks for the vapour to escape but i sealed the lid with tape just in case and its been sitting a couple of days and hasnt dissolved . Any reason why this hasnt worked. these are your average orange ping pong balls

BJV1
05-13-2011, 07:01 PM
I believe some ping pong balls are not made of nitrocellulose.
I would try some from a different manufacture.
BJV1

pyro man 205
05-14-2011, 02:57 AM
I have made this same Nitrocellulose out of ping pong balls white/orange/ yellow. they are all the same nitrocellulose. all i used was a hard plastic tub from the doller store. no the acetone will not melt the tub,at lease mine didnt. cut up 6 ping pong balls into pieces right so far, fill it up just Enough to cover them. you will need to stir it once in a while. 24 hrs should be dissolved.use the white ones.are you making electrical igniters? if it is still not working for you e-mail me and i will get my paper work out and send it to you for a better explanation on this matter.

Forrestanfo
05-14-2011, 05:32 AM
You can save a lot of trouble, with a flake double nitro reloading powder, and acetone. Mix until you have the consistency you want to work with. This works great for match heads etc. Why bother with ping pong balls?

pyro man 205
05-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Well you can do it that way. ping pong balls are cheap this is real fun making for do it your self electrical igniters.

whitepyro
05-14-2011, 05:07 PM
yeah still no luck . I need a firearms license to purchase the smokeless powder so thats out of the picture

pyropep
06-11-2011, 01:14 PM
You can save a lot of trouble, with a flake double nitro reloading powder, and acetone. Mix until you have the consistency you want to work with. This works great for match heads etc. Why bother with ping pong balls?
You want to use a Single Base Smokeless Powder any of the IMR powders are single base 4795 is the fastest and has the least amount of inhibitors and stabilizers in it.