PDA

View Full Version : Whistle Mix Pressing

wizard7611
11-29-2014, 10:59 PM
I just wanted to clarify this, but the instructions I'm reading says that I can use an arbor press for my whistling gerbs. Is it safe to use an arbor press on whistle mix? Can't it ignite due to the pressure and friction? Would about a hydraulic press?

SLAP
11-30-2014, 05:17 PM
Whistle should always be pressed, never rammed...

What kind of whistle mix are you using? Some are more temperamental than others... are you using a phlegmatizer (wax, oil or vaseline)?

wizard7611
11-30-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm using a 73/24/3 formula consisting of potassium perchlorate(73%), gallic acid(24%), and red gum(3%). Will I have to use a phlegmatizer for this formula? If so, how much?

SLAP
11-30-2014, 11:17 PM
You have chosen Ellern whistle mix #2. I have personally never worked with that, so can't comment on the performance, sound or dangers.

Whistle mix is a potentially dangerous composition, and should be treated like flash... especially ones that use chlorate, and possibly yours.

Personally, I prefer to work with potassium perchlorate (76 typically), potassium benzoate (23) and copper oxychloride (1) as the catalyst. You then melt 3% Vaseline in a mason jar sitting in boiling water. Remove from heat, and add 1/3 cup lacquer thinner to the Vaseline, and let them combine (1/3 cup is for a 500g batch, so 2 kilos of mix would use about 1 1/3 cups). Once mixed and in a liquid state, pour the Vaseline/LT into a zip lock bag containing your dry chems than have been pre-mixed. At this point, you'll remove a lot of the air from the bag, and seal it up. Kneed the propellant using your hands (in the bag) like you would with dough. It doesn't hurt to let it sit either. Once you feel it is well mixed/kneeded... dump the contents out onto a 20 mesh screen, and continue to pass it through the screen "ricing". As the LT evaporates, it will begin to pass through the screen easier... I like to screen it 4 - 6 times...

Spread out on Kraft paper, and let dry... You can use it once the LT smell is no longer present.

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o588/SaltLakeAreaPyros/Mobile%20Uploads/20140106_142012_zps8ffba61a.jpg

Again, there are many ways to make it... with many formulas, and some are safer than others. Be safe, even the tamer whistle propellants have plenty of power and great sound.

If you do end up working with the Gallic acid formula, let me know what you think of it.

Potassium benzoate can be replaced with sodium benzoate, but it becomes more hygroscopic... and you'll notice a yellow flame (I don't like the yellow).

wizard7611
12-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Lol thanks!

wizard7611
01-28-2015, 06:27 PM
How much force can I apply to the whistle mix?

displayfireworks1
01-28-2015, 11:16 PM
Great post, I wish more members would talk about making fireworks.
I also seem to remember using Sodium Salicylate and Potassium Perchlorate to make a whistle. It has to be compacted hard into the tube I remember that much, plus you need very strong thick tubes. I saw whistle mix go off once, it sounded like a big salute.
This is where these hydraulic press tools come in handy.

wizard7611
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
Wait, did the whistle mix go off while compacting it?

wizard7611
02-05-2015, 03:44 AM
Lets just say I used a whistle motor tool set that had a long spindle like this one here:
How long do you think the motor would burn since there is a direct hole through the composition?