PDA

View Full Version : vintage thunder bombs

Ryan1026
11-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Hello Everyone,
I hope you are all well this fine evening. Was looking for some information, or perhaps to be pointed in the right direction. I am looking for Thunder Bomb firecrackers from the 80's-90's I guess. Basically, the ones I grew up with. The crackers have a flower wrap pattern around them, and no clay like todays crackers. I believe they were made by Tiger or Horse head? I did some reasearch online, but it appears mostly people collecting and selling labels, and or a few packs. Are these still in existance If I were looking for a brick of 80/16? .... am I too late to the party?

they are nostalgic as hell, and to me had better quality, less duds, and better bang. If these are still in circulation, and can be purchased please let me know. Any and all info appreciated.

thanks all!
Ryan

Dion
11-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Oo they are out there! Keep looking and get involved with a club and or look at the forums and you will figure it out.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Like Dion said, they are out there--just need to be in the right place at the right time. There are groups of collectors of vintage firecrackers. Sometimes you will find vendors at open shoots that have some for sale. Last year Pyro Direct had a "swap meet" & show of vintage firecrackers. So, just keep pursuing your quest. You will find them.

PGH_Pyro
11-07-2014, 10:21 AM
they're definetly "Out there" if you don't mind paying out the a__ for them . there's other vintage bricks that are just as cool/nice/spicy that aren't so ridiculously expensive .

displayfireworks1
11-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Here is a reason to join the Pyrotechnic Guild International, when you attend a convention they have an area where vendors sell old consumer fireworks. Of course sometimes the prices are high but many are open to offers.
This video is from the PGI convention 2013. I bet you will see something you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCbje9R_uQ

Ryan1026
11-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Oo they are out there! Keep looking and get involved with a club and or look at the forums and you will figure it out.

Good to hear Dion, thanks for the info. I will def keep digging.

Ryan1026
11-07-2014, 03:27 PM
Like Dion said, they are out there--just need to be in the right place at the right time. There are groups of collectors of vintage firecrackers. Sometimes you will find vendors at open shoots that have some for sale. Last year Pyro Direct had a "swap meet" & show of vintage firecrackers. So, just keep pursuing your quest. You will find them.

Got it, thanks PyroJoe! appreciate the info. im did see the video Dave had when walking through the PGI, which I saw he has posted below. I really think I want to join that. THe conventions will most def be a hike though. One I dont mind however. thanks again!

Ryan1026
11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
they're definetly "Out there" if you don't mind paying out the a__ for them . there's other vintage bricks that are just as cool/nice/spicy that aren't so ridiculously expensive .

LOL, thank you for the info. I had a feeling prices would be high. I will keep my eyes opened.

Ryan1026
11-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Here is a reason to join the Pyrotechnic Guild International, when you attend a convention they have an area where vendors sell old consumer fireworks. Of course sometimes the prices are high but many are open to offers.
This video is from the PGI convention 2013. I bet you will see something you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCbje9R_uQ

Hello Displayfireworks1! or may I call you Dave? thank you for the video and all of your hard work. I def saw alot of items I would love to get my hands on. I am really interested in the PGI, and will be looking to join. I see you also have the application on this site, you are the best! thanks again for all of your input. And reply.

Ryan

Ryan1026
12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Merry Christmas to me!

ok, so they arent Daisy's, or anything to rare, but for me? perfect. Like many others im sure, this was my first Fireworks purchase, and having an entire brick as a 12 year oldiiish child, makes you feel on top of the world.

I have been fortunate enough to have that same nostalgic feeling back. I am now the proud owner of two TB bricks (1x 80/16 and 1x 80/12) pics or it didnt happen? OK, you twisted my arm....

Much thanks, and appreciation for the information and responses everyone.

have a great day everyone, and stay safe.

Ryan

PGH_Pyro
12-19-2014, 02:01 AM
cool . congrats :D

PyroJoeNEPA
12-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Nice start for your collection!

Ryan1026
12-19-2014, 01:02 PM
cool . congrats :D

Thank you PGH_Pyro! I am pretty excited.

Nice start for your collection!

Thank you Joe, Funny you say that, I think I have already cought the buzz, and want a few more DOT items from my past... addicting!!
the 80/16 has cello issues, so im not sure if I want to blast my way through this brick, or re-wrap it the 16 is my preferred size pack. The 80/12 is almost mint. One slight cello tear about an inch long on the side. Not very wide, but besides that its mint. So, at this time not sure which one will make the collection, and which will go up in smoke.. decisions, decisions!! :)

thanks again guys!

Ryan

countryboy7978
12-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Those are good Thunder Bombs. The rose printed back wrap and the white/blue Caution box indicates that it is a later DOT item but they are great shooters. Sure the daisy print are a bit louder but these are just the crackers I grew up shooting. They should be a notch above 50mg.

It's hard to give people direction on what they should do with their vintage collections but I'm of the mind that I grew up shooting them so they bring me the most joy when I'm shooting them rather than displaying them under glass. I certainly won't blast through them like I would a brick of UN garbage but I do enjoy them like a fine wine or a cigar. I don't sell anything but if you have any questions about mid to late DOT era crackers let me know.

flynlr
01-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Did someone say Thunderbombs?
http://www.njrod.com/images/fw/thunderbomb_bricks.jpg

pitshack
01-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Say whaaaaaat!

PGH_Pyro
01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
nice little stash

Ryan1026
01-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Those are good Thunder Bombs. The rose printed back wrap and the white/blue Caution box indicates that it is a later DOT item but they are great shooters. Sure the daisy print are a bit louder but these are just the crackers I grew up shooting. They should be a notch above 50mg.

It's hard to give people direction on what they should do with their vintage collections but I'm of the mind that I grew up shooting them so they bring me the most joy when I'm shooting them rather than displaying them under glass. I certainly won't blast through them like I would a brick of UN garbage but I do enjoy them like a fine wine or a cigar. I don't sell anything but if you have any questions about mid to late DOT era crackers let me know.

Thanks CountryBoy! thank you for the info!. I plan on shooting the 80/16, the cello is just to far gone, and my attempts at a re-wrap werent pretty.
the 80/12 Ill tuck away for a bit.... I agree though, and will get much pleasure shooting these.

Ryan1026
01-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Did someone say Thunderbombs?
http://www.njrod.com/images/fw/thunderbomb_bricks.jpg

Very, very nice collection! I would love a brick of bomb logo wraps too! I can see cracker collecting is extremely addicting. Congrats on this collection though, sexy as hell...

NWPA
01-05-2015, 02:44 PM
There are really some older nice 1-1/2" firecrackers that rival thunder bombs without the price one that comes to mind is Gangster brand by Deerfield fireworks. Had 2 bricks, shot one and saved the other.

Ryan1026
01-05-2015, 06:42 PM
There are really some older nice 1-1/2" firecrackers that rival thunder bombs without the price one that comes to mind is Gangster brand by Deerfield fireworks. Had 2 bricks, shot one and saved the other.

Agreed, although I havent heard of the brand "Gangster", I do agree that the old days was riddled with quality crackers. Everything was loud and bright. Miss those days... I just really wanted this because it was for the majority all I shot as a kid. First thing I did was smell the brick, and man did it take me back. I would also like a Black Cat brick, but these seem harder to find, may not be true, but just my observation although I am just getting started.

Ken Sturm
03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
What your looking for are Class 5 Thunderbomb made from 1973-76 most with the black and yellow label that has the Animal-By Product on it made in Kwangtung. A few others will have the blue and yellow label. By the late 70s Daisy Tbomb was history. The "Bomb" logo cracker was born and pf course the Snowflake wrap, and celebration red. I believe the rare Confetti wrap was history by the late 70s also. By the mid 90s most crackers were doomed with clay, the crackers as we knew them were dead..

countryboy7978
03-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Agreed, although I havent heard of the brand "Gangster", I do agree that the old days was riddled with quality crackers. Everything was loud and bright. Miss those days... I just really wanted this because it was for the majority all I shot as a kid. First thing I did was smell the brick, and man did it take me back. I would also like a Black Cat brick, but these seem harder to find, may not be true, but just my observation although I am just getting started.

There are two types of Gangster bricks. They were both brought in by Larry Lomaz of Midwest Fireworks back in the 80's and 90's. The earlier ones are usually Red Lantern rewraps and are nice and loud. The shell wraps were pastel colors with stars. You'll see the crimp through the wrapper. They are wrapped in cello or glassine. The later ones have the gangster tissue paper wrap and the crackers are clay plugged and have weak reports. The shell wraps are red and green with stars.

VintagePyro
10-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Here's a class 5 Thunder Bomb 80/16s clear cellophane confetti pack brick.

Voodooheadhunter
10-23-2015, 06:05 PM
I've got several bricks and cases and will be setting up a table at PGI this year