PDA

View Full Version : Will,Deep Blue stars formula

benrenyi4
10-29-2014, 07:54 AM
Dark blue stars formula, do not have a white light

displayfireworks1
10-29-2014, 06:18 PM
I am not sure what are friend from China is asking. Perhaps he is looking for a blue fireworks star formula. You are correct the best blue fireworks stars have very little white color. If someone can help him, he may be looking for a good blue star composition.
我不知道什么是来自中国的朋友问。也许他正在寻找一个蓝色烟花星公式。你是正确的最好的蓝色烟花明星很少有 白色的颜色。如果有人能帮助他,他可能会寻找一个良好的蓝色恒星组成。
Found on the web, my guess is Dan Creagan website
http://www.creagan.net/fireworks/stars%20-%20gary%20smith%20parlon%20comps.jpg

PyroJoeNEPA
10-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Shimizu's formula #49 for "excellent blue":

Potassium Perchlorate 0.610
Parlon 0.130
Copper Carbonate or Copper Oxide 0.120
Red Gum or Phenolic Resin 0.090
Dextrin 0.050

Copper Carbonate star will burn almost twice as long as star made with Copper Oxide.

Formula can be found in Shimizu's "Pyrotechnica 6".

benrenyi4
10-30-2014, 02:36 AM
Thank you very much

wizard7611
10-30-2014, 11:19 PM
What exactly does parlon do to stars?

PyroJoeNEPA
10-31-2014, 09:07 AM
What exactly does parlon do to stars?
Parlon is a chlorine donor--it enhances color in stars & colored flame comps as well as being a binding agent. It is dissolved with Acetone or Xylene. Very popular since the formulations for "Parlon Rubber Stars" came out a couple years ago allowing you to make stars & use them the very same day. No long drying time required with them...& they look very nice.

wizard7611
10-31-2014, 05:54 PM
It is dissolved with Acetone or Xylene. Very popular since the formulations for "Parlon Rubber Stars" came out a couple years ago allowing you to make stars & use them the very same day. No long drying time required with them...& they look very nice. Would I have to use a hot igniter prime?

displayfireworks1
10-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Joe wasn't the advantage of using parlon to make and shoot a project the same day. Plus it would not require overnight storage and all the magazine requirement issues. I have a Crackerjack video of George teaching a class making a fireworks shell and we used parlon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnr19MSbYws

PyroJoeNEPA
10-31-2014, 09:19 PM
Would I have to use a hot igniter prime?

Typically, a BP prime is used on the "pancake" before it is cut, then, a hot prime is used on the stars when they are cut. I no longer do this: I use a Spanish Monocapa Prime & it works incredibly well. Quick & easy.

PyroJoeNEPA
10-31-2014, 09:23 PM
To Displayfireworks1: Yes, Dave the big advantage of the Parlon Stars are they dry very quickly & can be used almost immediately. No drying process for days like you have with plain Dextrine bound stars. Also, it is very easy to mix a very small batch & test the color right away if you are "tweaking" a color formula or trying to get a specific color variation.

wizard7611
10-31-2014, 09:55 PM
I use a Spanish Monocapa Prime & it works incredibly well. Quick & easy. So it's really effective on the burn rate of these stars? I might give it a try.

wizard7611
10-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Displayfireworks1, I seen your series of fireworks making videos. I do have a question though. What caused the small burst? Was it the tape spiking or the low amount of burst charge? I have to say, when you showed "your shell" (the willow shell that really wasn't yours), I thought that was pretty funny.;)

displayfireworks1
11-01-2014, 09:35 AM
What caused the small burst was we were amateurs and using an improvised way to build a fireworks shell. LOL This may have been around the time Skylighter was introducing his "Turbo-Pyro system for shell building. People that make real fireworks probably will never use this method. This may be more of a hobbyist project starting out. When you are now at this , you are just happy to get something in the air and it explodes. LOL
The funny part you are referencing is at 6:55 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCAXcfMBtJ8

wizard7611
11-01-2014, 12:55 PM
"Now you are going to see the best shell" Lol

Kenny East
05-19-2017, 05:54 AM
Parlon is great, tried a formula a while back that used pvc as a chlorine doner... Never again... Or maybe next time i will buy pre-milled pvc instead of milling it my self... So hard to clean it out of the drum due to the static charge....

PyroJoeNEPA
05-20-2017, 07:47 AM
If you were shaving & milling a piece of PVC pipe you need to realize there are other "mystery ingredients" in there--whatever they use as a binding agent and stabilizer to make the pipe. No telling what other stuff is in there!!! Get the chemical grade PVC and you will not have an issue with purity. The parlon is a really easy formula to make if you want to try blending different quantities to get away from the base colors and go for different "shades". Easy to make very small batches for testing & shoot a few to see how they look.
Parlon is great, tried a formula a while back that used pvc as a chlorine doner... Never again... Or maybe next time i will buy pre-milled pvc instead of milling it my self... So hard to clean it out of the drum due to the static charge....

Kenny East
05-20-2017, 03:12 PM
I will stick with parlon, plenty of formulas for it... Maybe one day i will buy some pvc