PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day

Pyro Nation
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Well, Looks like PA is starting to crack down on fireworks being shipped in without a permit now. Thankfully I have one and just emailed it over, but a lot are not that fortunate. Not mentioning the dealer, but got email this morning that he said several orders going to PA were returned due to not having a permit.

Now this company is using UPS Freight for there shipping and that very well could be the issue. I don't know, but hope that's the issue

jknepp1954
05-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I am wondering - is this the first time this has happened with this company - UPS Freight that is? I never really understood why they would accept fireworks here anyway unless they were just S&S stuff. But maybe just this one... i am going to check a couple of the local companies aorund here and see what they say - just curious.
Joyce

displayfireworks1
05-10-2011, 09:08 PM
I do not think what you are experiencing has anything to do with Pennsylvania law. When Tannerite shipped those “Articles of Pyrotechnics” to me, they arrived FedEx. However if you ask FedEx if they ship fireworks they may tell you no. However, what I received really was not fireworks. They way you receive fireworks shipped, are to order a very large amount, then it ships by common carrier of whatever that term is. You then pick the order up at the truck depot in your area. The reason you pick it up at the depot is that as long as it is at the depot it is still in “Commerce”. If it is in commerce it is not subject to certain rules that apply to residentially shipped items. Some of the advertisers on pyrotalk.com are experts at this. Remember when you buy fireworks you always sign a paper saying you will follow all the rules in your state. People that sell fireworks need you to sign that paper. To be honest they probably do not check if you are following the rules. But they do not have to check. You own the responsibility not them.
I always like to use the example of the Phantom Fireworks store in Nevada near Los Angeles California. Of the thousand of people that come from Los Angeles to Nevada to purchase fireworks what percent of those people actually have a fireworks permit. My guess is 1%. Nevertheless, they all sign the paper saying they do. If they get caught with fireworks, is Phantom in trouble? No. Why, because they will say those people signed a paper saying that they did have permission.
Most consumer fireworks sold in United States operate under this out of state sales premise. If that law would ever change the entire consumer fireworks market would suffer dramatically. I did a video about it once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUaffIhomhA&feature=player_embedded

Pyro Nation
05-12-2011, 02:42 AM
Thanks Dave... Watched the video there. NICE.... Now I talked to a few other Distributors and they said pretty much what u said. Also said that UPS should never be used for shipping of fireworks...

Chinapapertrader
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
I remember back in 1980 getting a huge order from Fireworks Unlimited and UPS dropped it right on my door step in the state of NY. Boy what fun it was opening those boxes with my friends Air Travellers and ThunderBombs every where.

SITHADMIRAL
05-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Back in the 80s when I lived in Virginia I used to order fireworks too from Ohio and UPS would deliver them to my door. And if you purchased a one time permit, you could order class b fireworks which were 3 - 6 inch shells and large rockets. Back then a 4 inch shell was $20 retail. Back in the good old days.

fireworksman74
05-15-2011, 02:41 PM
if you order from an out of state dealer/supplier, and get it shipped to a business you are more likely not to have a problem then if you ship it to your house. but either way if you dont bring attention to yourself then you wont have any issues.

Knightmare
05-15-2011, 09:46 PM
What about people using consumer fireworks? Or people driving back from Ohio possessing fireworks?

They cracking down on these things as well?

Pyro Nation
05-15-2011, 10:28 PM
The main issue that happened was people were ordering fireworks to false addresses. Guess trying to not get caught ordering them if not suppose to. When they were getting delivered by UPS the people at the address had no clue what was being delivered because it was not being ordered by them.

Knightmare
05-16-2011, 12:01 AM
So there is no cracking down? No cracking down on people using consumer fireworks? Or people driving back from Ohio possessing fireworks?

Just asking for clarification. Nobody was busted and nothing was seized right?

Pyro Nation
05-16-2011, 12:08 AM
No, no one was busted at all. Just UPS not allowing the shipment to the door for fireworks

jknepp1954
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Also just for Clarification - the OP is talking about the UPS FREIGHT, the big 18 wheelers, not the little brown UPS truck vans. UPS FREIGHT had bought out a few years ago OVERNITE trucking. OVERNITE had at one time use to ship fireworks as we had used them, then their policy changed - they wouldn't then. Then UPS FREIGHT bought them out - policy must have changed back to where they WOULD ship fireworks, now it must have changed back to where they WON'T ship fireworks. I would suppose they would though if shipping from 1 fireworks company to another.
When we ship - I always insist on the receiver either picking their own works up at the truck terminal or shipping to a business. NEver to a residense. Besides it costs like $75 or lots more to ship to a residense.
As far as Ohio goes - In the 15 years we have been in business - i have never heard of Ohio residents being tracked back and forth from a legal state back to Ohio.
NY/NJ on the other hand .... just be careful is all I can say.

Pyro Nation
05-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I have friends who do the NJ to PA thing. They will definitely track you is all I will say..lol