PDA

View Full Version : Painting Racks

DLux3888
05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
The other day I was talking with my uncle about building some mortar racks and he said when we were done building them, he would like to paint. I opposed and told him I've never seen a painted mortar rack and when he asked why, I didn't really have a good answer.

Do people paint racks? And if so, is there any advantage to it? Or is there a good reason why I have not seen a lot of them painted?

Palermitano2
05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
DLuxx3888 I built 2 real nice Racks last year 1 is a 60 shot fan the other is a 40 shot straight. After I used them the first time I inspected them and the 1 thing that stood out was the burn marks. Therefore I will be spray painting them black. IMO......and yes the 60 shot rack weighs a Ton I am going to add wheels and move it around like a Dolly....Its well worth it I filled it 2 times with excals as my opener in 2 different shows.

indianahx
05-03-2011, 06:09 PM
I have seen a few racks painted different colors as to be able to discern which size mortars are grouped together......similar to the tubes of different sizes being different. Just might be advantageous to get a visual so the wrong shell doesn't go in the wrong gun....

wpman321
05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I do paint my racks I think they look better and they clean easier!

DLux3888
05-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I do paint my racks I think they look better and they clean easier!

Thank you for sharing.

wpman321
05-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Any time, Spray painting them when they are built or brush on paint when they are still in pieces before assembly is what worked best for me!

Pyro Nation
05-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah I plane on spray painting mine some time within the next few weeks. I will do a before and after shot. I am currently in process of building some more racks as well

DLux3888
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah I plane on spray painting mine some time within the next few weeks. I will do a before and after shot. I am currently in process of building some more racks as well

Before and after shots would be awesome.

pyro man 205
05-04-2011, 12:27 AM
When i started building my racks 6yrs ago i paint some of mine, black,blue,red white and blue. green, white.so you can if you want to do it do stripes go for it!! have fun.

Thumpjunkey
05-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I also paint mine black. No advantage to painting them. I just think they look cleaner.

blown2bits
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I could see painting them florescent orange or put some reflective tape on them. Black just seems kind of dangerous, its dark and there are very dumb people, who may have the thought "i want to go see what they are doing" they start running and sure enough trip over a rack, because they couldn't see it "or they were to drunk to pay attention". I understand painting racks to make them look nice, and I am not picking on anyone for painting them, i just think painting should be used more for safety, and maybe a clear coat to protect the wood from moisture.

Thumpjunkey
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm going to assume you don't have much experience with fireworks. Black is the most common color you will see racks painted. First, Black is used because it doesn't stick out at night. Secondly black powder is black and leaves black marks on your racks. When painted black they still look pretty good. I've done a lot of shows over the years and haven't had the problem of dumb drunk people running into my racks. I'm not sure what kind of people your shooting around but at my shows I usually don't have dumb drunk people around me.

I could see painting them florescent orange or put some reflective tape on them. Black just seems kind of dangerous, its dark and there are very dumb people, who may have the thought "i want to go see what they are doing" they start running and sure enough trip over a rack, because they couldn't see it "or they were to drunk to pay attention". I understand painting racks to make them look nice, and I am not picking on anyone for painting them, i just think painting should be used more for safety, and maybe a clear coat to protect the wood from moisture.

blown2bits
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I had a guy trip over one of my racks last year, it wasn't even painted, who cares about burn marks, a real pyro loves burn marks, the most common color of a rack is just plain wood, I have done a few 1.3 shoots, but for some of my personal 1.4 shows any average joe could walk up "cuz I don't have a security gaurd" and trip and mess up wiring. wood braces are removed and nailed and removed and nailed again, I just don't see a point in painting them, but who cares, because I don't have any experience with fireworks.

Albone
05-04-2011, 03:19 PM
I paint mine black. Looks good and helps protect them from the elements.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/511/medium/P1040339.jpg

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/511/medium/rc2.jpg

indianahx
05-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Love that candle design!

wpman321
05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Love the racks painted black and a very cool looking candle rack, looks great and very functional, good idea!

Palermitano2
05-04-2011, 09:10 PM

I understand your point however for me its a non factor.I do have the luxury of having security at all my shoots.......

Palermitano2
05-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I paint mine black. Looks good and helps protect them from the elements.

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/511/medium/P1040339.jpg

http://www.pyrouniverse.com/gallery2/data/511/medium/rc2.jpg

Ive been looking for the right candle set up If you dont mind i WILL copy you lol.....Great Job!

rrumlow
05-04-2011, 09:42 PM
just adds more unwanted weight imo

californiapyro
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
just adds more unwanted weight imo

what, paint?

Pyro Nation
05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
hmmm.. are u saying paint adds more unwanted weight.. Really.. Maybe a few ounces...

Thumpjunkey
05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Nice racks Albone. Love the candle rack. Blown2bits, come on man, we don't all have security at all our shoots. You are security if it is your shoot. Common sense goes a long way. Drunks and fireworks don't go together. Throw your drunk buddies out.

blown2bits
05-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I do throw the drunks out, very few people are allowed in my shoot site, but with the hours of fusing and wiring I can't watch everyone. I know we don't all have security, when I do a shoot a lot of the locals tend to show up because of word of mouth, so it's not technically a public show "but it sure feels like one", and someone always brings their buddy who has had too much. I am also a mobile dj, and deal with drunks a lot at weddings and parties, and have had them bump into speakers that are chest high. Trust me, I am not very nice when someone comes into my shoot site, asking,"burp" how much did you spend?, can I shoot one? "burp". I can't control everyone. N-e way enough of my complaaaaaaining! those racks do look pretty slick. I like the candle idea.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I paint mine-just because I can. Since I own a sound company there is always a couple of gallons of flat black paint here & cases of flat black spray paint we use to touch up speaker cabinets with. I do put several coats on the bottom to protect the wood from dew & moisture that is always there when setting up in the grass. Paint does make them look nicer--excellence in ALL things is something to strive for--even if it is as trivial as painting a rack. No, it doesn't make it work better; yes, it does look like you took time & care about your racks--Hey--want to start another thread??? I even SAND my racks! ROFL . Should get a few comments on that one!

pyro man 205
05-09-2011, 12:30 AM
OK lets look at painting racks in a deferent way. lets say you have 30 to 60 racks or even say 40 racks, and you have your shells 1.3 or 1.4. you have deferent breaks you would like to do all willows out of 5 tubes thean some stars to strobes or something like that. painting your racks a dark Colour you can label your racks 1,2,3 and so on, with white paint or a light Colour . so you know what racks have what in theam and you can put down on paper to use as a Reference so you know what cue you want to use. Also if you like the way your show went then the Reference to your show can be used later on.Even if you paint theam a light Colour just use a dark Colour label with.even if you dont paint them you can still mark them some way. when you have so many wires runing from your racks to your firing box it is nice to know where the hell you have things ran to, and everone of us has been there be for.

Pyro Nation
05-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I am painting the 1.3 and 1.4 racks separate color. Easier to recognize from when looking quickly at them

pyro man 205
05-10-2011, 12:11 AM
thats what im talking about!! it just does make it easier to know what racks have in them.

indianahx
05-10-2011, 06:12 AM
That was my response two pages ago.....:cool::cool:

pyro man 205
05-11-2011, 01:45 AM
you are right on that indianahx, guess we went deeperrrrrrrrrrr it to the paint thing

Pyro Nation
06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Here is racks I have built for this year..... Some painted some I left unpainted just to see difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU5Pa2lD8w8

PyroJoeNEPA
06-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Nice collection of racks, pyroliffic! Hey--when you go to Lowes to get more wood to finish the last two, pick up a box of Nitrile Gloves!!! Save you lots of scrubbing & irritating chemicals to clean up the spray paint on your hands--unless you are going for the "urban camo" look! LOL

Pyro Nation
06-13-2011, 07:41 PM
LOL... It came up relitively easy.. Plus it makes it look like I do something at my real job.. Can say my hands get dirty..lol

Palermitano2
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Great Job !

Pyro Nation
06-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks....

J's12talk
06-13-2011, 10:17 PM
I cannot believe that a thread about painting racks has gotten close to 500 views and over 30 replies. You guys have got to go light something.

Pyro Nation
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
LOL.... I lit something this weekend... Checked out some items I havent used... Like... Jesse James, Blue Angel, Attitude Adjustment, Dead End, 750 Full Auto, Gunsmoke, Imperial Wizard.....