PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch shell explodes on the ground video

displayfireworks1
04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I just ran into this video. It seems real enough I am curious if anyone out there knows the story on this. It looks like poor time fuse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2dm2esYmI8&feature=related

indianahx
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
I've seen quite a few videos of ground shells detonated like that in Japan or China....but none looked like they were nearly as close as some of those spectators

J's12talk
04-29-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm thinking there is no way that was a 16" shell. I was present for one being shot this winter and it didn't brake right away, there was a lot more time to go oh no than what this crowd had going on. A shell weighing 50Lbs is something you can't cover your head or hide in your car from. I was with seasoned pyro's and we all got nervous.

StormY
04-30-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking there is no way that was a 16" shell. I was present for one being shot this winter and it didn't brake right away, there was a lot more time to go oh no than what this crowd had going on. A shell weighing 50Lbs is something you can't cover your head or hide in your car from. I was with seasoned pyro's and we all got nervous.

The shell was in the air for about 10 seconds....I don't know how much more time you could ask for... And also, a 16" shell weighs a little more than that, buddy. ;)

J's12talk
04-30-2011, 09:20 PM
The shell was in the air for about 10 seconds....I don't know how much more time you could ask for... And also, a 16" shell weighs a little more than that, buddy. ;)

You the man buddy. The guy that made the shell weighed it but what do I know buddy. Bite me!

californiapyro
04-30-2011, 10:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_33Ty-lOacseems as if the shell hit the ground and then got lit from the outside, possibly the comet? that may explain why the break didnt seem as hard as a 16 should. here's a video of a 16 shot at winterblast, may clear some things up on the timing. 7 secs. although it wasn't pro made, so hard to judge.

heard it weighed 75.

J's12talk
04-30-2011, 11:04 PM
All I know for sure is they shouldn't have used a shell of that size at that venue.

boomboom
05-03-2011, 12:07 AM
That shell was a 16", and it was shot in Arthur Illinois.

jknepp1954
05-03-2011, 05:16 AM
Yes - I remember that one j12. The guy who hosted this event made it himself - thought it was going to be a great event - was somewhat disapointed. BTW - this guy does have his mfg lic.