PDA

View Full Version : The reloadable artillery shell

displayfireworks1
07-13-2014, 01:32 PM
The reloadable artillery shell is in the news again this year. I can't believe this one happened in the same town as that event from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufBiUFtQ7IY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcPZA0lkUo
I also received a report of a rocket blowing a mans hand off. Rumor has it the rocket was a 1.3 rocket made to look like a 1.4 rocket. I heard what company sold it but will keep that part confidential.
In short the reloadable artillery shells is under attack. The word I getting is if people keep getting hurt with these it may eventually cause them to be banned in some areas. I keep stating the way the fuse visually appears is causing people to load these in backwards. Here is my video on the subject again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIgPr00eUU

N3OQO
07-13-2014, 06:01 PM
People get too causal around fireworks and don't respect the potential they have. Common sense and caution go a long way.

PGH_Pyro
07-13-2014, 06:02 PM
yeah because every heavy rock you see outside could be dangerous ... kitchen knives could be dangerous... a hot pot of coffee could be dangerous ... etc etc

Dion
07-13-2014, 06:05 PM
If a stupid person is handed anything they will find a way to misuse it and get themselves or somebody else hurt!!

Dion
07-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Ive been lighting fireworks longer then ive been riding motorcycles and have hurt myself many times on my bikes and only had the very slightest injury from a fuse or two. What kind of Idiot would hold a mortar tube in there hand while firing?!?! This shit blows my mind!! Now reloads are bad? NO stupid retards are bad! Im sorry but this shit pisses me off!

PGH_Pyro
07-13-2014, 06:58 PM
the thing the anti-pyro people wont concede to per se is that a definite % of society are just stupid/dumb-asses that drunk or not, will find a way to hurt themselves . we pyros that are safe and do things correctly/safely should not be penalized for their darwinian insufficiency .

Blackdevil77
07-13-2014, 07:11 PM
It's frustrating that these guys that misuse the product and end up getting hurt are going to ruin it for the rest of us. Read the instructions, do as it says and all should be okay. Even IF the shell blows up in the tube and you did everything right, if you followed the instructions, you still shouldn't get hurt. It's only a matter of time before this become banned as well. I hear about people getting hurt in the news by doing stupid things with them, I hear how everyone on the news blames the fireworks and not the user, and I see and hear all this first hand as well. I saw one guy light the shell IN HIS HAND, then after it was lit, put it in the tube. I just don't get it….

Dave, somebody already took a video of an excal loaded upside down in that world class tube. Here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-_jSWI4cs

Adam PA Artist
07-13-2014, 09:31 PM
Agreed N3oqo

spanks_4
07-13-2014, 09:47 PM
Ron White once said: I married an ugly woman because I can pay to fix ugly, but nothing can fix stupid.

I did find it funny that the news report and all news reports on the fireworks are dangerous topic never seem to mention what the user did wrong to cause the incident.

displayfireworks1
07-13-2014, 11:10 PM
From talking with people in countries outside of United States for example, while they allow more powerful types of consumer fireworks, they do not allow reloadable artillery shells. You have to buy the artillery shell preloaded into a single shot mortar. My sources told me this year had many consumer fireworks injuries related to these reloadable. The industry is afraid if these reloadable injuries continue the government will step in a ban them. People keep loading these canister artillery shells in backwards. What also typically happens is not only is one mistake made , two are made. One person recently not only loaded the shell backwards but held it on top of his head after it was lit. For two years I keep preaching the visual on the canister artillery fuse needs changed as I stated in the video above, however nothing changes. I mentioned this to a big player in the industry and I think I tweaked his interest. We will see what the future holds.

Playingwithfire85
07-13-2014, 11:23 PM
They're gonna ruin it for everyone and its absolutely sickening. People need to stop whining about people hurting themselves especially when it happens under clear directions. The safety sheet is in every fireworks and people ignore it. Instead people want to blame the firework instead of the person who was not using it correctly. That's like saying we should outlaw stop signs because people ignore them and cause accidents. WTF. Let Darwinism take its course and save everyone else the trouble.

Blackdevil77
07-13-2014, 11:28 PM
What also typically happens is not only is one mistake made , two are made. One person recently not only loaded the shell backwards but held it on top of his head after it was lit.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Stupiditburns_zps56ade409.png (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/Blackdevil77/media/Stupiditburns_zps56ade409.png.html)

In all seriousness though, that's just ridiculous… I'm sorry, but I don't care how little you know about fireworks, anybody should know that lighting a firework, then putting it on your head is a bad idea. Loading the shell upside down, that's a mistake. Like you said, the combination of loading the shell upside down, then putting it on his head is a serious combination of "mistakes." I really hope they didn't blame the firework for that one.

Dion
07-15-2014, 08:05 AM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Stupiditburns_zps56ade409.png (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/Blackdevil77/media/Stupiditburns_zps56ade409.png.html)

In all seriousness though, that's just ridiculous… I'm sorry, but I don't care how little you know about fireworks, anybody should know that lighting a firework, then putting it on your head is a bad idea. Loading the shell upside down, that's a mistake. Like you said, the combination of loading the shell upside down, then putting it on his head is a serious combination of "mistakes." I really hope they didn't blame the firework for that one.

Please tell me this person does not have a drivers license, Firearm or even a weedwacker!! I hope that morter knocked some sense into his retarded brain!!

displayfireworks1
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM
The most recent reloadable shell accident happened in the same geographic area as that event from 2012. I would hate to see these canister artillery shells removed from the market, but if the industry does not correct this that may start to happen in certain states.

PELHAM -- Compounding the "catastrophic" injury that a 24-year-old man suffered to his left hand from a reloadable-mortar shell fireworks explosion at his Pelham home July 4, the victim is left-handed, Fire Chief James Midgley said.

"It was his left hand, and he's a lefty," Midgley said. "He's got a long road ahead of him."

The life-altering injury occurred at 7:30 p.m. Friday at 3 Indian Valley Road, in the same Pelham neighborhood where a similar device injured 13 people in a backyard deck explosion on July 3, 2012, at the Pappathan family residence on Dodge Road, a frustrated Midgley said.
Here is the full story
http://www.lowellsun.com/news/ci_26107856/fireworks-explosion-that-injured-pelham-man-reignites-debate

displayfireworks1
07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
See if you recognize the mortars at 55 sec into this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoZ3XOk9RPU
LONG BEACH - A man handling illegal fireworks had one explode in his hand at a 4th of July block party in Long Beach Friday night. The accident occurred around 9:00 PM in the 1800 block of Lave Avenue. A live band was playing at the time of the accident and the shockwave from the accident shook those lining the crowded street. Long Beach Police, Long Beach Fire and Long Beach Arson investigations responded to the scene. The victim was transported to a local hospital for his wounds. The unconfirmed report of a witness (off camera) stated that at least one finger was severed in the accident. A pool of blood was seen near a couple of used and unused illegal fireworks.

Blackdevil77
07-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Those are Excal tubes at 55 seconds. There's one tube that doesn't belong that I don't recognize.

Blackdevil77
07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
If you jump to 1:30, you see a guy pull the shell out of the tube. It's certainly an excal shell and it appears that it's in the tube correctly.

PGH_Pyro
07-16-2014, 07:32 PM
funny how the cops just kind've drive away without any concern for those tubes and that shell sitting there on the sidewalk ...

PyroJoeNEPA
07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
I'm surprised they didn't call in the bomb squad to remove the one shell left behind!!! Like PGH_Pyro said--funny the police just left the tubes & shell sitting there on the sidewalk! Guess it was a long day for them & time for coffee & donuts!!
Those are all Excal tubes--the one is turned so you can't see the label on the tube--but the sleeve on the bottom is a giveaway.

wizard7611
07-17-2014, 08:34 PM
I even used to have neighbors that would throw these cheap artillery shells on the streets and blow the up. They were drunk and didn't know what they were doing, but still, everyone shouldn't be penalized for the wrongdoings of the dumb-asses.

wizard7611
07-17-2014, 08:35 PM
I even used to have neighbors that would throw these cheap artillery shells on the streets and blow them up. They were drunk and didn't know what they were doing, but still, everyone shouldn't be penalized for the wrongdoings of the dumb-asses.

Dion
07-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Such a easy device to use. How the hell do people go wrong! How did this moron screw up? I don't see the blown tube from a inverted shell? Did he light it in his hand and try to throw it?! WTF!

Zach27
07-24-2014, 10:07 PM
If the federal government did ban these types of fireworks ( which I don't see happening) I bet some pyro friendly states would still continue to sell it as they are very popular products in the consumer firework industry market.

displayfireworks1
08-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I believe if the Federal Government aka Consumer Product Safety Commission bans a fireworks device, it prevents it from importation and transportation. The individual states may restrict what types of consumer fireworks are allowed for sale in their state. For example there are a few states that restrict rockets. A state in theory could restrict reloadable artillery shells and only allow them to be sold already preloaded one time use. I always find it interesting that European countries do not allow reloadable artillery shells. From what I see these reloadable shells in the consumer line are a United States thing.