PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from AZ (Pyro Purgatory)

lightfusegetaway
07-11-2014, 10:53 PM
Hey fellow pyros -

Thought I would introduce myself. I've been interested in fireworks since my dad allowed me to light them off at the wee age of 8. What's the saying... once thou hast smelt the smoke, thou art ne'er again free? Something like that...

I grew up in the 80's in Indiana where Class C ground items were legal and that is mostly what I had. My friends and I would, of course, take apart regular wheel-style ground spinners and make them into rockets by taping them to bamboo skewers. Occasionally a friend would obtain something with a little more get-up-and-go and we'd have a real good time. I think our favorite thing was to light bottle rockets and throw them into the river. :cool:

I moved to Arizona (or as I called it, Pyro Purgatory) in 1998. The first thing I did before we moved was check the Arizona fireworks laws; my heart sank when I read that everything beyond sparklers and snaps was illegal. I gave a paper grocery bag full of fireworks to my police officer neighbor before moving, telling him to put them to good use. I did keep a few of my favorite items and still have most of them. I imagine a few might have increased in value, as they are Class C era.

I occasionally got some pyro kicks with friends on the Indian reservation, where pretty much anything goes, and by finding a spot away from town where the police didn't normally patrol.

I guess TNT's lobbyists finally got their way and we now have Safe and Sane items for a week around the 4th and new years. Better than nothing, not as good as Indiana. I understand their reasoning, though. Our rainfall averages 10 inches per year or less.

I used to frequent rec.pyrotechnics back in the old days. Learned a few neat tricks and got to interact with some people who have become fireworks legends. Didn't know it at the time, though.

Hopefully I can contribute something useful to the forum. Otherwise, I'll just grab some popcorn and enjoy the show. :D

killer57
07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
welcome aboard :)

PyroManiacs
07-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

PGH_Pyro
07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
i've spent some time in the oven-HOT state of Arizona . done some camping in the desert and a lot of driving around.
love it . love the big saguaro cacti & reptiles / birds . amazing scenery at dawn & dusk, too .
i do not care for their state politics whatsoever but whaddya gonna do ?

lightfusegetaway
07-12-2014, 10:12 PM
i've spent some time in the oven-HOT state of Arizona . done some camping in the desert and a lot of driving around.
love it . love the big saguaro cacti & reptiles / birds . amazing scenery at dawn & dusk, too .
i do not care for their state politics whatsoever but whaddya gonna do ?

Yes, it is beautiful. The state has a pretty wide range of climate depending on where you are. The Prescott area is my favorite part so far. But yes, it is indeed an oven! That's about the worst part of living in the Tucson area - walking outside in June and being hit with a blast-furnace gust of wind.

Agreed, the politicians are not with it. The average third-grader could probably solve most of our issues. I'm being charitable here... :rolleyes:

I've been to your neck of the woods quite a bit. My grandmother lives in the Franklin/Oil City area. Used to spend summer vacations out there. Beautiful area with rolling hills and awesome forests. I love reading about the history of the oil industry in that area. Someone told me they are re-drilling/torpedoing old wells in NWPA. Haven't checked into their claims, though.

displayfireworks1
07-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Would say this poster accurately represents consumer fireworks in Arizona?
http://www.sgplaw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/which-fireworks-are-legal-in-az-inforgrapic1.png

Adam PA Artist
07-31-2014, 11:24 PM
Welcome to the club

PyroManiacs
08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Would say this poster accurately represents consumer fireworks in Arizona?
http://www.sgplaw.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/which-fireworks-are-legal-in-az-inforgrapic1.png

18,808 incidents out of over 6.3 million people in the state.