PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

wizard7611
07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
How can I start making my own firework stars? I find it really confusing when people say there are special tools needed. I don't know what start out with (chemicals, tools, oxidizers). Please help!:(

Chris H
07-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Well, there are three types of stars. Cut, pumped, and rolled. Each are made differently. As far as composition, I'd suggest a charcoal streamer. They're typically the simplest, safest, and pretty forgiving. Maybe something like Chrysanthemum 6, 8, or tiger tail.

Cut stars are probably easiest, and don't really require any special tools. Basically you take your composition and wet it to about the consistency of clay. You then form it into a loaf, or roll it out into a patty. From there you cut it into cubes. This can be done with most knives or a painter's edge.

Pumped stars are pumped. A tool is required for this. There are specialty tool makers around (Wolter, Ben Smith, Hunter Barerra) who will all provide nice tools. As a beginner, you can make your own basic tools. They're not as nice as the specialty made ones, but they can work to get your feet wet. These are generally made from wooden dowels and PVC or copper pipe. The composition is not made nearly as wet as when cutting, usually between 6-12% water by weight. Every composition is going to be a little different, and will depend on how you compact it. Generally the composition is then granulated. You dip the tool with the plunger in it into the granular comp, lightly compacting the comp until it is approximately 1.25x to 1.5x as long as you want the finished star. From there you can use a hammer on a solid base to compress the comp, or use a press or arbor press to do it mechanically.

For rolled stars you will either need a bowl, or a star roller. A star roller is a real machine. Ignore all the ones you may find on youtube or other poor sources of information that use drills to power them. They're unsafe and unsuitable as continuous motors. You need to use a core of some sort to star the stars. The cores are wet, and sprinkled with dry composition. Repeat many times until your stars are up to size. This technique really is more involved than can easily be explained. I'd suggest doing more reading and research if this is a type you'd be interested in.

wizard7611
07-07-2014, 04:01 AM
Yes, I was looking forward to rolling stars with a bowl of some sort. I still confused on the composition though. I don't really understand compositions for stars like chrysanthemum stars, willow stars, or others such as crackling or whistling.

PGH_Pyro
07-07-2014, 12:31 PM
there are some interesting videos on stars being rolled over in the factories in China, on youtube.

wizard7611
07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
there are some interesting videos on stars being rolled over in the factories in China, on youtube.
Yes, but I'd like advice on making them.

Chris H
07-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Yes, I was looking forward to rolling stars with a bowl of some sort. I still confused on the composition though. I don't really understand compositions for stars like chrysanthemum stars, willow stars, or others such as crackling or whistling.

What don't you under stand about them exactly? They're all measured by weight. It's common for them to be expressed in percentages, though parts are common with older compositions. I find it easiest to work in grams personally, but you'll find many older pyros are still stuck in ounces and pounds. You multiply your desired batch size by the percentage of each chemical to figure out how much you need. For instance the formula for Tiger Tail is:

Potassium Nitrate - 44%
Charcoal - 44%
Sulfur - 6%
Dextrin - 6%

Let's say you want to make a 250g batch, which is slightly over 1/2lb.

250g x 0.44 KNO3 = 110g KNO3
250g x 0.44 C = 110g Charcoal
250g x 0.06 Sulfur = 15g Sulfur
250g x 0.06 Dextrin = 15g Dextrin

Adding up everything will confirm that you did it right, since you get 250g total out as well.

wizard7611
07-08-2014, 01:18 AM
Ok, thanks!

displayfireworks1
07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
I wish I could get more members on the forums that make fireworks. I often run into people making fireworks, they show me all these pictures of what they are making. People that make fireworks as a hobbyist often like to keep it a private matter. If someone out there reading this is making fireworks and wants to join pyrotalk to share what they know please do so.
At Wizard7611 it sounds like you need a basic 101 type intro to making fireworks. I keep trying to add a fireworks chemical or fireworks tool maker as an advertiser on pyrotalk but it has not occurred. I would start by reading information on the internet to learn the basics.

wizard7611
07-09-2014, 01:44 AM
Ok thanks!

PyroManiacs
07-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I definitely wish I could .... I just dont have the time or a spot to do it. :(

Adam PA Artist
07-09-2014, 04:34 PM
I used to make some a few years back i would love to learn from real pyros and become more professional about it.. Dave im now in the process im applying for my ATF license soon as i move to P.A. in a few months. I have a few display companies sending me contingency letters to help me with the process and speed it up hopefully. I purchased your dvd havent applied yet even tho i been involved for more then 20 years with fireworks. Figured its about time i get this license. Well soon as i get the license i owe you and you will be the first person i will thank. I would love to link up and help you with any backyard or professional shoots in the near future. Ill contribute 1.3 products to any of your shows that you would welcome me too. I been looking forward to meeting you for a long time, you have only inspired me more and more over the years to get involved with using better products in my shows and to continue to spread the love for fireworks and pyrotechnics. Im currently a member of the P.A. Pyrotechnic artist im friends with a few guys you know from the club. One friend is in your '' Tannerite Shock Waves Travel video he also is from Long-island like me. When we hung out in person he told me all about the fun you all had that day.. lol Anyways i believe i still have your e-mail so let me know if you want to keep in touch if so ill e-mail you then and we can talk further. Well Dave sorry for going off on a tangent and thanks for taking your time to read this.

wizard7611
07-10-2014, 03:02 AM
Would a cement mixer like this work for a star roller? http://www.lowes.com/pd_241568-47120-SGY-CM1_0__?productId=3591096&Ntt=kobalt+tools&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkobalt%2Btools&facetInfo=

Chris H
07-23-2014, 01:21 AM
I wish I could get more members on the forums that make fireworks. I often run into people making fireworks, they show me all these pictures of what they are making. People that make fireworks as a hobbyist often like to keep it a private matter. If someone out there reading this is making fireworks and wants to join pyrotalk to share what they know please do so.
At Wizard7611 it sounds like you need a basic 101 type intro to making fireworks. I keep trying to add a fireworks chemical or fireworks tool maker as an advertiser on pyrotalk but it has not occurred. I would start by reading information on the internet to learn the basics.

Manufacturers tend to only hang out at one or two forums on the internet. The majority of them being older tend to restrict their internet activity and comfort as well. The established forums and those run by respected manufacturers tend to prevail in this regard.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-23-2014, 09:46 AM
PM sent with some info that may help you.

Northern Sky
07-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Come on out to Mason City Iowa to the PGI convention and learn how to do it correctly, safely,and legally taught by some of the best in the industry:

http://www.pgi.org/convention/2014/manufacturing.php