PDA

View Full Version : 1.3 licensing in New York

MikeP
07-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Dave,

Thanks a bunch for your excellent web site and videos.
You've inspired me to obtain my type 54.
I will be purchasing your DVD set, I've always found it much easier to learn how to do something from someone that's already done it.
Because this endeavor requires time and money, I have a few questions.

I heard that in NY, you have to have your state license before the ATF will even consider your federal.
I heard that to GET a NY license, you need to have shooting experience with 1.3.
Well how the heck do you get the experience without the license??
Is any of this true?

Living in NY, the winters get quite severe. Regarding storage, I have access to a magazine on a friends farm.
Do 1.3 fireworks need to stay above a certain temperature? Will the frigid cold affect them?
What about the humidity in summer which gets very muggy at times?

How about "backyard shooting"? There must be laws about not shooting 1.3 within a certain distance of a residence?
I have a big backyard, but no point where it's 100 feet from a residence.
What about insurance? I hear it can be quite pricey. I'm not looking to start a business, just want to shoot for family and friends on the 4th, or birthdays etc, but I can't justify the cost if I need pricey insurance every year.
I know you can't speak about my local, county, and state, but what is your situation in PA?

Finally, other than Kellners, I don't know where else to buy 1.3 that's within 3 or 4 hours of Buffalo.
Where do you buy? Does wfboom do 1.3?

Thanks very much for any info you can provide.

Mike

displayfireworks1
07-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I get almost all of these questions before someone purchases my ATF/DVD package. Once you watch the DVD many of these questions will be answered.
I can tell you the ATF 1.3 permit is not contingent upon any state certification to shoot fireworks, it is not contingent upon knowing how to shoot fireworks. The procedure is the same for all states because it is a Federal Government process. The permit allows you to legally purchase and transport 1.3 fireworks and that is all it does. If you are considering shooting powerful fireworks 100 feet from someone's home, you need to familiarize yourself with distance requirement common to mortar size.
I do not mean to be hypercritical but I often wonder if people that have 20 questions "Before" they spend $23.00 have as many questions when they spend say $23,000 on an automobile. Advertising and my DVD package help me keep the operation running so I appreciate the support.

jknepp1954
07-06-2014, 11:32 AM
WFBOOM does NOT sell 1.3.
Mike P = consider joining a club such as Pa Pyro Artists or Western NY Pyro. Alot of members of WNYPA also shoots shows for a couple display companies in NY - but i think you would need other cert. papers for doing that in NY to be part of a crew. I am sure other NY folks can chime in on that.
Back yard shooting in NY (the Nanny state) is never permissible - not even ftns - and that really sucks!

PGH_Pyro
07-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Mike --- look up Jay Roll & Western N.Y. Pyro Club. Those guys are solid and very experienced. I have learned a few things from them.
They're right in your area .

MikeP
07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Dave, DVD purchased :) can't wait to get started.
I knew I should have expressed my thoughts better than I did.
I really just wanted to know that NY wasn't going to make this harder than it needs to be.

I believe that spectators and residences are supposed to be 100 feet away from ground zero for every inch of shell diameter, just something I heard. My first priority of course is safety. I plan to familiarize myself with all the rules and regulations. NFPA 1123 and 1126 are just some I plan to read. Thanks again for making this package available.

jknepp1954 - Great idea to reach out to WNYPA, I'll do that later today. Also, I know that 1.4 is "never permissible" in NY, however our neighborhood was quite loud this past Friday, as it always is on the 4th.

PGH_Pyro - Thanks, I will.