PDA

View Full Version : Concerns regarding insurance

Dr.FillyBlunt
06-22-2014, 01:07 PM
I've taken the time to familiarize myself a bit more not only with federal, but also state and local laws regarding the use of display fireworks.

I had a question regarding insurance requirements that seem to differ between state and local laws. (I live in Kentucky)

Kentucky legislature if I remember correctly states that I need a minimum of a $1,000,000 liability of insurance for any public displays, however when I looked into local municipal code (Owensboro) it states on a "special event permit" (required under city law) that I need a minimum of $10,000 liability of insurance. My question is this, would I need only the liability amount required by local regulations or would I have to have this insurance AND the state required $1,000,000 policy on top of that?

I understand that whoever sees this may not know regulations specifically for my AHJ, but from what I can see I'd imagine my area is not the only place to have differing insurance requirements between state and local and maybe someone else that has been through this before in another state/city or knows anyhow can educate me on the matter.

Thanks

fatcat
06-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Dr. FB
I'm not a lawyer nor am I even licensed to purchase 1.3 pyro. However from reading what you posted, I would ask what is the definition of "special event" in your local community code. Does it include display fireworks? I would think that state law is stronger than local code in this case. Since you live in Kentucky, why don't you call one of Dave's sponsors from your state who sells 1.3 products and ask him. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in getting the info you need

Dr.FillyBlunt
06-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Dr. FB
I'm not a lawyer nor am I even licensed to purchase 1.3 pyro. However from reading what you posted, I would ask what is the definition of "special event" in your local community code. Does it include display fireworks? I would think that state law is stronger than local code in this case. Since you live in Kentucky, why don't you call one of Dave's sponsors from your state who sells 1.3 products and ask him. Just my 2 cents. Good luck in getting the info you need

"The use or sale of any fireworks other than consumer fireworks, including display fireworks as defined in KRS 227.706, are subject to the applicable restrictions of state and federal law and are further prohibited at all times within the city without written approval of the city's special events committee." -local code

"A special event is defined as a pre-planned event, whether publicly and/or privately sponsored where the public is invited and is proposed to be held on publicly owned, leased, or controlled property, including, but not limited to parks, streets, sidewalks (excluding indoor events at the Sportscenter, Edge Ice Center, RiverPark Center, Owensboro Convention Center, etc.). All special events require a Special Event Permit issued by the City of Owensboro." -city's event website

I'm not sure which of the sponsors are located in Kentucky other than nite lites, the locations are not listed for every sponsor on the sponsor list.

displayfireworks1
06-22-2014, 10:26 PM
I was just in the state of Kentucky visiting one of my advertisers. They told me all consumer fireworks are legal in the state. Not sure if you saw my video where I stopped at this liquor store but the owner told me it sounds like a war near him on July 4th there are so many fireworks going off. Remember when you read some of these state laws they may be pertaining to for profit displays. This same laws may not apply to a display you are shooting on private property that is for your own use. One thing for sure is if you plan on using 1.3 product you will need a Federal License, once you obtain that license, whatever happens after that, you are at least a properly licensed individual using the product. If you read too many of these state statues or regulations it may confuse the hell out of you. The first step is to get a Federal Fireworks Explosives license.
My sponsor in Kentucky is Nite Lites Fireworks. Find his banner and info on this page of my website. Not to be funny, but at this time of year don't call with a bunch of questions. Call with a list of fireworks you are ready to order and pick up. These fireworks distributors are extremely busy this time of year. His price list will appear if you refresh any page on my website and wait for Nite Lites large banner to appear. Tell him I referred you.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/sponsors.php
He is located in Leitchfield Kentucky.
http://townmapsusa.com/images/maps/map_of_leitchfield_ky.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPUUmWzC9Q

Dr.FillyBlunt
06-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Ya I usually shoot 1.4 every year and I've kind of grown bored of what's available in the consumer market (love the excals but I want something a lot louder/bigger)

I just like to be cautious because I don't want to end up being one of those guys with a type 54 with no place to shoot (legally), I live in a city neighborhood, Im not on private property per se.

I've watched that video (awesome BTW) and that's actually how I learned about nite lites lol.

displayfireworks1
06-23-2014, 08:19 AM
If you live in a city neighborhood you probably do not want to be shooting 1.3 product. The exception may be Thunder Kings. or similar size cake. Many times 1.3 products packed 12/1 to a case can be used close to the audience . If I did not have a Type 54, I would buy some 1.75 racks and load them with canister artillery shells, then fast fuse it for a finale. I do this at my Sportsman Club display and it sounds and looks great.

Dr.FillyBlunt
06-23-2014, 09:14 AM
If you live in a city neighborhood you probably do not want to be shooting 1.3 product. The exception may be Thunder Kings. or similar size cake. Many times 1.3 products packed 12/1 to a case can be used close to the audience . If I did not have a Type 54, I would buy some 1.75 racks and load them with canister artillery shells, then fast fuse it for a finale. I do this at my Sportsman Club display and it sounds and looks great.

Good idea, I'm not looking to completely do 1.3, but I just want to enhance my 1.4 displays with it anyhow. Whenever I watch the city's 1.3 shows on the 4th of July I hear the salutes they use and I want something similar lol. I guess thunder kings would cut it considering how popular they are (at least to start me off)
I'm sure a rack or two will be a worthwhile investment. I've been fusing the four tubes together that come with the excals, kind of hard but it works.

Does this mean I'd be able to use 1.3 shells packed 12/1 as well?

h2opyro
06-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Dr.FillyBlunt,

I would start here for info -- the ky fire marshall page. should have all u need: http://dhbc.ky.gov/sfm/Pages/Fireworks.aspx

They have an application for display permit on there and look like it requires an insurance cert. also checking the law on the form leads to this: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=39506
Look like u need xperience or have an experienced shooter with u.

last, contact ur local gov where u will be shooting and see what they say. have fun lol!

Dr.FillyBlunt
06-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Dr.FillyBlunt,

I would start here for info -- the ky fire marshall page. should have all u need: http://dhbc.ky.gov/sfm/Pages/Fireworks.aspx

They have an application for display permit on there and look like it requires an insurance cert. also checking the law on the form leads to this: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=39506
Look like u need xperience or have an experienced shooter with u.

last, contact ur local gov where u will be shooting and see what they say. have fun lol!

Thanks!

I guess I'm gonna need to find some clubs that offer some sort of training/certification courses then, hopefully they'd accept a certification as adequate lol.