PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Sealing Chemicals

ADVANCEDPYRO
06-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Has anyone tried this or is currently doing it.

As a space saver / freshness standpoint if you where to buy in larger quantities.

In general just chemicals being vacuum sealed and not mixed compositions.

I don't currently do this as I'm not sure of any adverse reactions.

I'm just throwing this option out there, what do you guys think.

displayfireworks1
06-21-2014, 07:47 PM
My opinion is this a good thing, specifying as you stated NOT mixed chemicals, just stand alone chemicals.
Many oxidizers (fireworks chemicals) are what is termed "Hydrophilic" . This means having an affinity for water, they will even suck water out of the air. I believe ammonium nitrate or potassium nitrate are notorious for this .

Chris H
06-22-2014, 09:21 PM
The word you're looking for is hygroscopic, not hydrophillic.

displayfireworks1
06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
I mixed them up LOL.
Hydrophilic means easily mixes with water I believe.
Teacher, I really knew the answer , I got mixed up on the test. Can I still get credit.

Kenny East
05-19-2017, 05:43 AM
That's how i store bulk chemicals... Only the ones that don't get used often. I usually only vacuum pack 1# bags of oxidizers, don't bother with any metal powders. And never any mixed chemicals... I store all my chemicals in either vacuum or doubled up zip lock bags, inside buckets by what they are... Red bucket for flammable chemicals like metal powder or certain metal salts.... Yellow for oxidizers, and black for fuels. Each type of bucket has it's place away from the other buckets. Very small amounts or very reactive/hazardous chemicals get their own plastic/metal ammo cans.