PDA

View Full Version : Match Crackers

NWPA
06-10-2014, 10:43 PM
When, If ever, were match crackers sold in the United States. I see them around once in awhile but don't ever remember seeing them for sale in any of the shops. When did they stop selling them? Seems they are popular in Europe.

jknepp1954
06-11-2014, 07:25 PM
they NEVER were legal in the USA - they are for Europe only.

Overtrained
06-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Those the things you strike and they flare for a few seconds(hopefully) and then explode?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Dave had a video of these a couple years ago. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HillzS75ko

Overtrained
06-27-2014, 07:36 AM
I use to get the same thing but called "match sticks". They came 20 per box and had a striker too. Had some pop but if you save them for a year or so the sulfur match head would dry out and it would go off almost immediately after striking it. Definitely not something you would want a kid to get a hold off.

NWPA
06-27-2014, 09:02 AM
Interesting. The ones I saw were not marked "Do not hold in hand" but by there very nature striking on a striker rules that out I guess.

PGH_Pyro
06-27-2014, 10:48 AM
ive played around with some match bangers. they make me nervous since I can't really see a fuse making progress as it burns but they never popped earlier . they are expensive when you do come across some since they are an rarity .

Overtrained
06-27-2014, 01:11 PM
ive played around with some match bangers. they make me nervous since I can't really see a fuse making progress as it burns but they never popped earlier . they are expensive when you do come across some since they are an rarity .

Yeah, not something you usually see in stores

countryboy7978
01-04-2015, 01:05 PM
US laws require an externally burning fuse, so even small match crackers containing 50 mg would not be allowed per CPSC regulations. That being said they find their way here from other markets every now any then. I find them to be more of a novelty than serious firecrackers although some carry a rather heavy charge.

I don't see how they would dry out and go off instantly unless they were damaged. Most are produced by running regular chinese visco fuse to the charge and using the match strike composition, pressed on top to ignite the visco. Some of the European-made match crackers use a black powder spoolette to ignite the charge. The striker ignites the spoolette (pressed black powder similar to a rocket engine but without the nozzle).