PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Michigan

pyrohobie
06-06-2014, 07:00 AM
I was looking around and seen this forum and wanted to check it out.

jknepp1954
06-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Welcome pyrohobie to pyro talk! Tell us a bit about yourself! ;)

pyrohobie
06-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Hi Joyce;

Well, I am now retired from shooting displays. I know I have somewhere in between 100-200 displays under the belt. I still have my 54. I got my first federal license back in 1984. Before then we had state permits back into the 70's.

Know the Michigan laws forward and backwards from working with township offices through out the years. Same with many of the federal laws also.

Married and have 2 autistic young adults.

MIpyro
06-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Welcome Pyrohobie,

I am in MI as well, just obtained my type 54 and am looking to start incorporating some 1.3 cakes into my show. Are you familiar with York twp? I can never get a hold of them in regard in shooting in their township. I was told they really don't want to deal with it like most townships in southeastern MI

PyroManiacs
06-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Welcome Pyrohobie!

jknepp1954
06-07-2014, 03:49 AM
oh oh - look at the "BANNED" under his name ???
Confused

displayfireworks1
06-07-2014, 10:14 PM
To clear up any confusion, there are about 20 people from a rival fireworks website I do not want on pyrotalk forums. For some reason they keep registering on the forums. I have been accused by this group of all sorts of things, they report me to the ATF, they sabotage my videos, they threaten potential advertisers, they intimidate people that enjoy my videos, they steal and register my name and domain, I could make a list a mile long. It borders on cult activity. If someone wants to promote all that about me you have to go elsewhere other than pyrotalk. These new ATF license holders in Michigan do not need to hear this bullshit that the ATF can come into your house and search it anytime they want because you have a fireworks license. I live in the real world of fireworks, I shoot fireworks all the time, I do not always have a permit, I do not always leave the cover on the electric match, I do not always wear the proper safety gear etc. I do not sit in an Ivory Tower and pass judgment on users of fireworks. Safety has its place and we try the best we can to follow it. But we are not perfect. My mission is to promote fireworks and fireworks related equipment and activity. This group has caused me to slip a few times and entertain this nonsense; I do not want it here. I am moving into multiple states with my ATF license package, I am helping promote fireworks sales at multiple locations, I get emails all the time fireworks enthusiast are getting their license, finding new places to purchase fireworks and having fabulous displays using firing system etc. Anyone trying to slow all that down has another motive. Please do not promote that played out message here.
Here is a copy and paste of my latest private message, this is what keeps me going amongst all the hatred.
hi my name is (withheld) I am from (state withheld). I have watched your videos for awhile now. I must say I really do like watching them you go into so much detail with everything. I have had my ATF lic for 2 years now and just keep moving forward. Just wanted to say thank you for posting everything that you do

MIpyro
06-08-2014, 09:33 PM
To clear up any confusion, there are about 20 people from a rival fireworks I do not want on pyrotalk forums. For some reason they keep registering on the forums. I have been accused by this group of all sorts of things, they report me to the ATF, they sabotage my videos, they threaten potential advertisers, they intimidate people that enjoy my videos, they steal and register my name and domain, I could make a list a mile long. It borders on cult activity. If someone wants to promote all that about me you have to go elsewhere other than pyrotalk. These new ATF license holders in Michigan do not need to hear this bullshit that the ATF can come into your house and search it anytime they want because you have a fireworks license. I live in the real world of fireworks, I shoot fireworks all the time, I do not always have a permit, I do not always leave the cover on the electric match, I do not always wear the proper safety gear etc. I do not sit in an Ivory Tower and pass judgment on users of fireworks. Safety has its place and we try the best we can to follow it. But we are not perfect. My mission is to promote fireworks and fireworks related equipment and activity. This group has caused me to slip a few times and entertain this nonsense; I do not want it here. I am moving into multiple states with my ATF license package, I am helping promote fireworks sales at multiple locations, I get emails all the time fireworks enthusiast are getting their license, finding new places to purchase fireworks and having fabulous displays using firing system etc. Anyone trying to slow all that down has another motive. Please do not promote that played out message here.
Here is a copy and paste of my latest private message, this is what keeps me going amongst all the hatred.
hi my name is (withheld) I am from (state withheld). I have watched your videos for awhile now. I must say I really do like watching them you go into so much detail with everything. I have had my ATF lic for 2 years now and just keep moving forward. Just wanted to say thank you for posting everything that you do

lol! I agree Dave, That guy was a joke. I don't see anyone bothering me if I am just shooting off a couple 1.3 with my 1.4 I do every year. They can care less what you do on the 4th or the 5th because everyone is shooting that day around where I shoot at anyhow. I just laughed when the nonsense was rolling from that guy. Thank you for everything that you do and keep the videos coming and the knowledge of years in the fireworks industry. I have already made my 1st 1.3 purchase today and can't wait to pick it up on the 4th and 5th.

displayfireworks1
06-09-2014, 08:47 AM
It has to 5 years or longer this group has been trying to stop me. Here is the strange part, most of them are heavily involved in fireworks, they work at major fireworks events and hold officer positions in fireworks clubs. The message is that I am somehow destroying the fireworks industry. But there is no clear explanation of this reasoning. I am not beyond taking advice, without mentioning names or organizations, I let it be know that I can be approached in confidence by these people and organizations if they have concern about what I am doing.
If you look at this guys post he starts out everything cool, then about the fourth post the real message comes out, he thinks he is going to control the behavior of every fireworks user in the state of Michigan. If you read the message's on the site it all looks like copy and paste here. They ran out of victims on their site and need more, I do not want it here.

N3OQO
06-09-2014, 09:30 AM
The site is excellent, and you are doing a fine job providing a wealth of info to everyone that enjoys the hobby. The logic escapes me, rather than destroying you are promoting.

MIpyro
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
I kind of got it once he started to go on a tangent about it..lol! when it gets to that point I just ignore it. Like fireworks are going to become illegal again in MI, that's more taxes for them to get when we buy in MI. Lord knows we need our roads fixed, lol! You are doing a great job Dave, no one will ever approach you on your stuff, they just want to control the industry and that will never happen.

I just joing a pyro club here in MI and if they seem to be know it all's and Aholes, I'm out. I just want to start doing stuff legally once I get into bigger shows year by year.

paperman
06-13-2014, 08:25 AM
As a note to MIpyro I am the president of the pyro club here in MI. If Im a straight talker and will tell you the way it is. Find me in Owosso and I can give you all the ins and outs of who we are and what we are about. Im in the middle of Dave and Doug, there is no hard line in my mind its all situational based. I dont shoot for money as its all fun to me, if I want to shoot a few 1.3 items on my 80 acre field I will. At the same time I wouldnt think of touching off a rack of shells downtown,even on a holiday, just because I can. Its all about the situation. Kind of like the open carry laws. Most of us have the right to carry a gun in the open. Some do it just to prove the point. Do i need to carry a 12 ga. through town, nope, all it does is make you a target of the LEO's. Carry the same gun over your shoulder in the middle of no where and the same LEO will ask hows the hunting. We see to many that lack common sense.

MIpyro
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=paperman;23155]As a note to MIpyro I am the president of the pyro club here in MI. If Im a straight talker and will tell you the way it is. Find me in Owosso and I can give you all the ins and outs of who we are and what we are about. Im in the middle of Dave and Doug, there is no hard line in my mind its all situational based. I dont shoot for money as its all fun to me, if I want to shoot a few 1.3 items on my 80 acre field I will. At the same time I wouldnt think of touching off a rack of shells downtown,even on a holiday, just because I can. Its all about the situation. Kind of like the open carry laws. Most of us have the right to carry a gun in the open. Some do it just to prove the point. Do i need to carry a 12 ga. through town, nope, all it does is make you a target of the LEO's. Carry the same gun over your shoulder in the middle of no where and the same LEO will ask hows the hunting. We see to many that lack common sense.[/QUOT

Thank you! That is a great point. I just purchased a few thunderkings to shootoff with my 1.4 this year. The guy who started this thread was making it sound like we will all go to prison and ruin it for everyone just because we are shooting of a few 1.3. lol! I'll send you a private message in regard to info on the pyro club.

displayfireworks1
06-13-2014, 03:43 PM
paperman
Thank you for your comment.
The administrative function on this bulletin board allows me to search multiple registration coming out of the same ip address. The names pyrohobie and PSL Doug are showing up as the same ip address. Both account made with a day of each other and both accounts posting on the forums. It follows a typical pattern, the person that yells out the most for you to follow the rules is actually breaking more rules than you are. Be careful, don't fall victim to these underhanded tactics. It is all rooted in jealously and hate.
As a reminder, a member may not have more than one user account. If you forgot your password please email me and I can reset it for you. If you forgot your username I have ways to search that also. If you accidentally have two accounts let me know, I can correct it.

MIpyro
06-13-2014, 08:33 PM
WOW! this is just insane. One minute, this guy is telling me to get everything in writing and whining about how fireworks were finally made legal in MI and with people like me will make it illegal again then telling me that shooting 1.3 is fine as long as you are responsible and not shooting stuff off in the middle of the city. If I get caught, man up and pay up...hmmmmmm! not sure I want to join that pyro club. Thank dave for pointing this out.

displayfireworks1
06-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Please do not judge this fireworks club based on the pyrohobie comments. Respect the fact the president of club stepped forward and made a comment. He may be the first pyrotechnic club officer to post a comment acknowledging he is an officer in a club. For me that is a first, most of the fireworks clubs across the United States are not a part of pyrotalk. Currently I am not a member of any fireworks club other than the PGI. This group of haters is very involved in these clubs and organization, some of them are officers or high profile members. I am sure some of the good club officers are trying to find a way to deal with some of these issues.
For those new ATF license folks in Michigan.
You do not owe anyone anything for the recent favorable fireworks law changes in the state of Michigan.
If I helped you get your license, you do not owe me anything more than the cost of the video package.
You are responsible for your own behavior.
Do not let anyone slow down progress you are making in the field of pyrotechnics.
If you join a fireworks club and do not like what they are doing drop out.
Don't absorb some of the poison that is out there disguised as being helpful.

Northern Sky
06-15-2014, 10:05 AM
I don't see what the beef is. If somebody is trying to give others a heads up as to how to do things legally why is there a problem with that. In many states it is pretty easy to do. . . . get legal that is.I know here in PA many municipalities make it very easy to do things legally.

Your AHJ will walk your discharge area to make sure things are safe for you, your audience and surrounding areas. I for the life of me can't figure out why that is a bad thing. I have been shooting legally for years. Just because you obtain a federal permit to purchase, that doesn't make it legal for you to discharge. If you want to keep your federal permit, the first step is to make sure you proceed legally where you store, transport, and discharge.

Getting training comes in many forms. If you bury your head in the sand and say I didn't know any better when the authorities comes knocking things can get ugly in a hurry. Ignoring the basics is foolish at best.

Clubs are a great place to learn and build friendships with others with common interests. You will find people in the area that have far more knowledge than you. They will give access to product and display sites most us could only dream of.

Don't knock until you try it for a while.

Most of them were where you are now and enjoy teaching their techniques to open minded people. Many of us find it more enjoyable to watch the smiles on the faces of new pyros than the shells bursting in the night sky.

MIpyro
06-15-2014, 10:07 PM
That's my bad Dave, I was responding that way because it was noted that the username came from the same IP address as the other 2 that got banned. I have taken note of what he has told me and will take it to heart. Northern Sky, you are right, I just jumped the gun too quick. I hope to be a part of the local pyro club and learn everything that they know.

jknepp1954
06-15-2014, 10:38 PM
Dave - i thought you were member of CJ's? Which is a great club I just joined about 2 years ago.

displayfireworks1
06-16-2014, 02:56 PM
At jknepp I convinced you to join and now I am no longer a member. LOL It has been maybe two or three years, I disapproved of a financial decision they made, then the new locations were inconvenient for me. It is still a great club for those that want an opportunity to be involved in fireworks. I still recommend the Crackerjacks all the time when I get email from people in states where they are at.

PyroManiacs
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Dave, have you ever thought about starting your own PyroTalk Club?

That would be awesome!