PDA

View Full Version : Local permit denied by borough...

mrfirework359
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Hi all! Just wanted to share my quick story on here today. I'm currently a Type 54 license holder in Western Pennsylvania and just got denied for a "local" permit from the borough manager. I explained it was just for a backyard fireworks show (non-commerce) , showed the layout of the land on where i planned on having the show, and all the safety steps to ensure a safe, fun 4th of July. I was shut down with the sentence "We will have no such backyard firework shows in this borough". So needless to say i'm not to thrilled with having the ability to finally purchase 1.3 product but don't have a place to set off... If anyone has any suggestions, thoughts or info. i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Have a wonderful day!
-Larry

PGH_Pyro
06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
seeing as how you're in the PGH area, it seems this is the norm unless you're Zambelli or Pyrotecnico or you're further out in the hinterlands away from urban areas ...

rppyro
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Get a new borough manager, whatever the hell that is.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Can you appeal the decision? I would make it a point to talk to the local fire chief and chief of police & see if they personally [off the record] have any negative feelings about what you want to do. If your borough or township has monthly meeting you may want to go to the meeting & speak your mind. He already shot your request down, so speaking out about it isn't going to hurt! Be persistent. At this point you have nothing to loose. See if you can engage this guy in a "peaceful discussion" as to why he is so against the display. Possibly someone in his family was hurt with fireworks or he is just a miserable grinch---but it helps to talk & find out where he is coming from--if he will allow you to. Also, remind him that he is an elected official & lots of voters are fireworks enthusiasts. You could get a local letter/email campaign going against him--American Legion, VFW, AMVETS, VietVets--lots of patriotic organizations that could add their voice to the lawful display of fireworks honoring our Veterans & the freedom we have in America!
OK--I'm stepping down from my soap box now. This guy makes me angry! Gotta have a cup of Earl Grey Tea & cool down!!! Good Luck & keep us posted!

displayfireworks1
06-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Knowing how populated West Mifflin is, it does not surprise me. I would be curious to know if you verbally ask for a permit and they verbally told you no. Or was their response in writing.
If you have a Type 54 license and want to shoot 1.3 fireworks, buy whatever you want and bring them to my annual sportsman club fireworks display on August 23, 2014 and You can shoot them off there. Whatever you purchase, please keep it at the distributor until the day of the display. The location is less than 20 miles from you. There now you have a place to shoot 1.3 fireworks.
If you did not put that request in writing you just dropped these writing scores. LOL
http://www.trulia.com/graph_school_test_scores.php?sid=889363&grade=11

jknepp1954
06-06-2014, 01:08 AM
Larry - were you able to get a permit for your show "before" you got your type 54?
What a lot of folks don't understand is just because you have the paper (54) in your hand does not give you the legal right to shoot your show - Pa or otherwise.
Since this town sounds like a PITA - i would suggest putting your show off in a more rural "pyro friendly" neighborhood - perhaps easier to get a permit then. Alot of municipalities are afraid of "liabilities" they may face if something was to go wrong.

pyrohobie
06-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Very Correct Joyce.

I person should check locally if they can even shoot fireworks. If that was there intention is to be putting on a backyard display with 1.3-they need to tell the AHJ. It doesn't do you any good being able to purchase them and then find out you need to go someplace a distance just to shoot some baby "B" off.

Another thing they should realize. Whenever they do get the 54-thier address is in the data bank so when ever someone does anything around the neighborhood with 1.3- They will be the ones getting a visit after the cops stop by the violators.

Then at anytime the BATF can come into your home-you sign that right away when you sign for the 54.

Something to think about.

mguerra
06-06-2014, 09:34 AM
mrfirework359
Find out if there is a law on the books prohibiting your show. A govt official can't just make up the law based on their personal whim. Usually. Some statutes give a specified official discretion in certain matters. You need to find out the answers to both of these questions. It is possible this person has no actual legal authority to refuse you. Or he might.

N3OQO
06-06-2014, 08:23 PM
The issue is most likely that you want to shoot 1.3 in your backyard. Take Dave's invite and go shoot 1.3 there with no worries. I wonder what his response would have been had you said 1.4. We have someone close to us that is no doubt shooting 1.3 every year...don't know him or if he gets a permit, but dayum he shakes our windows!!!!

jknepp1954
06-07-2014, 03:56 AM
The issue is most likely that you want to shoot 1.3 in your backyard. Take Dave's invite and go shoot 1.3 there with no worries. I wonder what his response would have been had you said 1.4. We have someone close to us that is no doubt shooting 1.3 every year...don't know him or if he gets a permit, but dayum he shakes our windows!!!!
Might be worth an idea of gong back to see if 1.4 is then permissible. if so -then save the 54 for somethinig else - like a club shoot or similar
Worth a try - can't do any worse than say NO. That is why i asked - did they issue you a permit before?
In Pa - the municipalities are the AHJ or they appoint the AHJ - some cases the mayor - some case Fire Chief - some cases code enforcement officer

mrfirework359
06-07-2014, 10:17 PM
I plan on talking with the chief of police and fire on Monday. You bring up many valid points! I thank you for your input!!!!

mrfirework359
06-07-2014, 10:24 PM
And yes Dave, i went up to the borough building in person and talked with him. I greatly appreciate the invite to the club. I would love to be apart of that!!!