PDA

View Full Version : How much do you make running a fireworks stand?

displayfireworks1
04-08-2014, 08:06 PM
How much do you make running a fireworks stand? This craigslist ad should give you some idea of how it works.
TNT Fireworks Stand Employment (WI)

compensation: 20% Commission

TNT Fireworks is looking for responsible, high energy non-profit group or individuals with good retail and management skills to operate a fireworks tent for the July 4th season. We currently have locations available in:
WI: Baraboo, Delafield, Delavan, Fitchburg, Fond Du Lac, Janesville, Kenosha, Marshfield, McFarland, Menomonie, Monroe, New Berlin, Platteville, Plymouth, Rhinelander, Rice Lake, Saukville, Shawano, Spooner, Stoughton, Watertown, Waukesha, and Wausau.

Our tents are set up on major retailer's parking lots with high traffic volume such as Wal-Mart, Kmart, Sam's Club, Big Lots, etc.

You will be responsible for staffing, operating/securing and managing the sale for about 12 days (6/25 through 7/5) so a strong sense of Ownership, Commitment, and an Entrepreneurial spirit are needed for a successful sale. This is running your own business for 2 weeks, not an hourly paid job. You must provide a cash register, small fire extinguisher, generator and staff to run the stand/tent and to secure the stand/tent at night.
This requires a big commitment for a big reward, so the faint of heart need not apply.
Earn a 20% commission on all retail sales! This is a great opportunity for Teachers, College Students and seasonal small business owners as well as non-profit groups. TNT will provide the venue, sales and safety training as well as securing all necessary licenses and permits.

All applicants:
*Must have a reasonably good established credit history as a credit/background check will be performed prior to an interview/consultation. We will be sending you merchandise on consignment.
*Must be 21 years of age or older
*Must be able to lift 40 lbs
*Must have own transportation
If you or someone you know would be interested in working with TNT Fireworks for more information by replying to Rachel Stein via email (link provided above). Want to watch our video for more info? Visit
www. tntfireworks.com/fundraising

jknepp1954
04-09-2014, 07:39 AM
20%? is that all? I had talked to some folks from a church group that ran a TNT stand in our local Walmart parking lot. At that time (about 8 or 9 yr ago) - I asked them how much they made - said 40%...which really isn't that bad - but 20%???

PyroManiacs
04-09-2014, 08:04 AM
And you would think with them making hand over fist, because "retail" AND being "Americas Best Selling Brand" they would give more to the little guy.

Greed is the 'Merican way

PGH_Pyro
04-09-2014, 02:56 PM
TNT is bad news all the way around

displayfireworks1
04-09-2014, 11:00 PM
I often wondered how they ran these tents with some there literally 24 hours a day. I said to myself this could never be an hourly job. They do some fancy contract work and you are a private contractor and "In your own business". I would love to look over one of those contracts.
These big fireworks outfits are really very good at what they do. In a way they sort of sanitized fireworks,over the years they took a product you would purchase out of a trunk or backroom and sanitized it with churches and charitable outfits, then sell it in stores that look like pharmacy chains. If someone complains in town about fireworks you can march an entire congregation of church people to the town meeting to fight to keep fireworks sales legal. It helps charitable organizations. You actually have to admire the marketing technique. In a strange sort of way, they are doing a positive promotion of fireworks.

PuroJon
04-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Not saying it ain't true, but I've never heard of TNT paying more than 20%. But keep in mind that you are looking at only 2 weeks sales of S&S product; fountains, sparklers, etc. and you are in direct competition with Walmart and most any grocery store in the area who also now sell TNT and/or Phantom S&S fireworks.

Running an open tent/stand sucks.

I think you'd be very lucky to move $10k-$20k of product in a good year; I know one tent operator who grossed less than $1k in one season running a TNT tent. A tent you have to staff and protect 24/7, provide your own generator, you provide your own POS equipment, provide & pay your own employees, etc. When it rains - you're screwed. And they 'sell you product on commission' which means they basically run a credit check on you and you become liable for all product. So if you shoot anything - you pay for it. Product loss by weather or theft? You pay for it. Weather closed you for 12 of the 14 days? Too bad...

Wisconsin allows some aerial products in some areas (how I dunno - their state law seems to say "S&S only"). But its another S&S state and that means small items with little wow factor.

Here are a few examples of running a stand/tent:

http://youtu.be/K_QgbuRFa1U
http://youtu.be/4Ta_rCpnv0Y
http://youtu.be/ptFA0OAQkDM

PyroManiacs
04-10-2014, 12:05 PM
Running an open tent/stand sucks.

Glad I DIDNT have the opportunity to do it last year after thinking about trying it out, lol.

Oh, also, If you live where I live, even with S&S, your going to sell a lot.

I have shown up to tents towards the last days, and the tables were almost empty.

mguerra
04-11-2014, 12:05 PM
It is not "greed" to try to be successful and make money. And greed is NOT the "Merican way". The American way is liberty. In a free society, the more money you make the more you demonstrate that you are pleasing your fellow man. Because in a free society people give you their money voluntarily because they like your service or product. It is not up to TNT to "give more" to the little guy. It is up to the little guy to EARN more, by his hard work, drive and ambition. No one is forced to work for TNT for a 20% commission, they choose to. If a 20% commission seems too low, anyone can choose to do something else. If TNT can get people to work for a 10% commission, so much the better for them. If on the other hand they find that people will only do it for a 50% commission, then that is what they will have to pay. The people who work for TNT decide what the commission is, not the other way around, by what they are willing to accept. And that happens to be 20%, obviously.