PDA

View Full Version : Bo from Dayton, OH checkin in!

bozie8823
04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Hiya from OHIO guys n gals,

I'm excited to join in on the conversation's and overall knowledge floating around the forums. A little about myself...my family's originally from Belleville, IL (a little town just east of St. Louis, MO). The vast majority of our clan still resides there. We've been putting on a small 1.4g consumer fourth of July display at Stolberg's lake in Belleville for nearly 35 years now. My pop, uncle, and I share the experience year in and year out...it's truly a great time!

In the last year I've taken GREAT interest in taking our little show (and my overall involvement in pyrotechnics & the industry here locally, OH) to the next level. Dave, I acquired your DVD sometime last year and started in on my quest for my 54. I'll admit I didn't get far before I let things go stagnant. The wonderful state of Ohio befuddles me a bit. Ohio requires the shooter to have an exhibitors license and there's a section on the ATF license form (field 13 I believe) that asks for your license # or date you applied for the license...BUT in order to apply for an exhibitors permit you MUST have an OHIO licensed exhibitor sign off on your abilities in order to sit for the test. Overall I'm not really sure where to go from here.

I started zeroing in on this again because I want THIS YEAR to be THE YEAR ya'know...I sent an email down to the only 1.3g distributor I know down south asking if this is truly the case, to which he responded no. So I guess i'm at a bit of a stand still again as I'm not quite sure what to do next.

Question for all you Ohio shooters & 54 holders...will taking a shooters school (ie. Rozzi's or Lynch's) get you the letter of proficiency needed to obtain your exhibitors permit? (If that's the case I'll truly have to wait another year to kick things off as they're both holding their shooters schools on the 26th...and unfortunately I'm in a wedding. :mad: )

Really looking forward to being a part of the community guys! Dave thanks for a great place to hang out!

Bo

PyroManiacs
04-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk, Bo!

killer57
04-05-2014, 10:48 AM
welcome aboard :)

wpman321
04-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

bozie8823
04-06-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome gang!

PGH_Pyro
04-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I recall being a kid and driving through Dayton with my parents who had family in Ohio and seeing that building in downtown Dayton that said 'Mead' on the top .

displayfireworks1
04-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Even if you can not make it to these shooter courses in Ohio I would still purse the ATF fireworks license. Remember the Federal license to purchase 1.3 fireworks is not contingent upon any state certifications.
I was indirectly involved in helping someone in Ohio get a ATF 1.3 license. The ATF tried to dynt him licensure because he did not have a state of Ohio exhibitors license. That local ATF office in Ohio tried to convince this applicant to drop his application. This applicant came out and told the ATF he was not getting an Ohio Exhibitors license. After we discussed the situation he decided to allow the ATF to make a decision within the 90 day window and not voluntarily drop his application. He called me after he received his ATF license around the 87 day mark. I went through this with an applicant in the state of Maine and he received his license.
The ATF is not beyond using psychological tactics to make you drop the application, if I were you I would get the license. Lynch Imports is one of my advertisers, he has agreed to help anyone in Ohio , Indiana etc. that purchased my video by giving them the required documents to assist you in getting your license.

bozie8823
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
I recall being a kid and driving through Dayton with my parents who had family in Ohio and seeing that building in downtown Dayton that said 'Mead' on the top .

PGH - Yeahhh! the Mead building's the second tallest tower in downtown Dayton (although now it's the KeyBank Tower circa 07/08...can't remember) next to the Kettering Tower. :cool: Good memory man!

bozie8823
04-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Even if you can not make it to these shooter courses in Ohio I would still purse the ATF fireworks license. Remember the Federal license to purchase 1.3 fireworks is not contingent upon any state certifications.
I was indirectly involved in helping someone in Ohio get a ATF 1.3 license. The ATF tried to dynt him licensure because he did not have a state of Ohio exhibitors license. That local ATF office in Ohio tried to convince this applicant to drop his application. This applicant came out and told the ATF he was not getting an Ohio Exhibitors license. After we discussed the situation he decided to allow the ATF to make a decision within the 90 day window and not voluntarily drop his application. He called me after he received his ATF license around the 87 day mark. I went through this with an applicant in the state of Maine and he received his license.
The ATF is not beyond using psychological tactics to make you drop the application, if I were you I would get the license. Lynch Imports is one of my advertisers, he has agreed to help anyone in Ohio , Indiana etc. that purchased my video by giving them the required documents to assist you in getting your license.

Dave,
Thanks for the reply man...(also thanks for taking the time to produce the DVDs...really helpful stuff). As of the past week or so I've been in contact with Bryan (President of the Ohio Pyrotechnic Arts Guild) and I'm heading out to meet him and the guys at their next shoot here early next month. The idea's to get on board as an apprentice for awhile. Also going to sign up for Hamburg Fireworks safety course toward the end of May. If it weren't for Bryan, I wouldn't have known about it.

How do you believe I should mark/answer field 13 on the ATF license app Dave? I'm fully intending on pursuing my exhibitors license within the state of Ohio...just not sure how to "date" the required field as I haven't "scheduled the exam" as the field implies.

Once I jump this little hurdle I believe I'm definitely in the clear to get the app through to the ATF. I've reached out to Dennis @ Lynch (in regard to the safety course and demo nights) I'll fire him an email asking for a written document regarding the contingency plan.

Again...Dave...you the man sir...:cool:

bozie

Pyro Nation
04-08-2014, 02:39 AM
Welcome to the forum Bo!!!

PyroJoeNEPA
04-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the Forum Bo. Hope all goes smoothly for you in your quest for the "54". Don't be discouraged. Patience rules. And get to know & talk to as many of the local pyro's through the OPAG as you can.

Westpapyro
04-08-2014, 07:19 PM
Welcome aboard! How far from Lucas Ohio are you, shoot there on May 2 & 3! Your OPAG guy should know about it, put on by NEOPG. Maybe see ya at a shoot someday!
Chuck

Northern Sky
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
I've been out of touch for a while with MAFF last weekend. I would check out OPAG and NEOPG for sure. There is a bit of overlap of the two clubs and we often attend each other's events. Both are a great place to start out and not just for Ohioans. Bruce and Brian of OPAG are very knowledgeable pyrotechnicians and Ohio lead shooters.

Wholesale Fireworks
04-17-2014, 08:54 AM
Welcome to Pyro Talk Bo . If you have any 1.4 questions do not hesitate to ask.

dplynch
04-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Question for all you Ohio shooters & 54 holders...will taking a shooters school (ie. Rozzi's or Lynch's) get you the letter of proficiency needed to obtain your exhibitors permit?

Hi Bo.

When I submit a letter to accompany someone's application for exhibitor's license in Ohio, I am certifying that I have personal knowledge that someone is proficient in the safe handling, discharge, and disposal of fireworks. I can't do that honestly after spending a few hours with someone in a class, even with a live fire component. Proficiency and familiarity are not the same thing.

The only folks I have written letters for are people that have shot with me for at least a season or that I've known through local pyro guilds. Is the state requirement silly? Probably - but it's important for us all to remember that being an exhibitor is serious business.

I would be surprised if you'll find someone to write a letter for you unless they KNOW you - and KNOW that you're proficient. I think the best way to get there is through local guilds, but that's just one man's opinion.

Best of luck, let me know if there's anything I can do to help - other than writing that letter :)

David Lynch