PDA

View Full Version : Programming remotes

wizard7611
03-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I just had a quick question about consumer firing systems. Can I program a Rfremotech 12 button transmitter to a QuantumFire firing system? -Just curious ;)

wizard7611
03-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Solved. Sorry for posting this. I've never tried to program a remote before. The reason being is because I always use the remote the kit comes with.

displayfireworks1
03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
My experience is you program the module that receives the signal as opposed to the remote.

wizard7611
03-11-2014, 05:45 PM
hmmm... ok makes sense. So basically you can program any remote that receives a signal.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
hmmm... ok makes sense. So basically you can program any remote that receives a signal.
Let's clear up some "word usage" terminology: The unit you hold in your hand--or have at your shooting station is a Transmitter--it sends a radio signal to the modules your igniters hook up to--they are receivers..1 transmitter, many Receivers. You program the receiver to the signal from the transmitter.
One thing to be aware of: you can not use any transmitter with any receiver! There are two different frequency bands that are currently being used [FCC Approved devices] which is 315Mhz & 433Mhz. So, if you have a 315Mhz transmitter, it will not "talk to" or allow you to program 433Mhz remotes to it. They must be the same frequency.
Quantumfire has 315 & 433 Hhz units--RFRemotetech is 433Mhz, Superbfire is 433Mhz, Sequencefire is 315Mhz....you really need to research the specifications of items you might want to "mix & match".
Also, there are "eChina" non-FCC approved firing systems out there that are not very good in their tolerances as far as being on the correct frequency & being stable at that frequency.
I hope this clears things up a bit--"remote" is a general term & needed a little clarification.
The smaller, inexpensive firing systems are a great step up from trying to fuse & hand light everything, but as you get more into the hobby, save up & work towards purchasing a Cobra system. You won't regret it!

wizard7611
04-02-2014, 11:56 PM
Let's clear up some "word usage" terminology: The unit you hold in your hand--or have at your shooting station is a Transmitter--it sends a radio signal to the modules your igniters hook up to--they are receivers..1 transmitter, many Receivers. You program the receiver to the signal from the transmitter.
One thing to be aware of: you can not use any transmitter with any receiver! There are two different frequency bands that are currently being used [FCC Approved devices] which is 315Mhz & 433Mhz. So, if you have a 315Mhz transmitter, it will not "talk to" or allow you to program 433Mhz remotes to it. They must be the same frequency.
Quantumfire has 315 & 433 Hhz units--RFRemotetech is 433Mhz, Superbfire is 433Mhz, Sequencefire is 315Mhz....you really need to research the specifications of items you might want to "mix & match".
Also, there are "eChina" non-FCC approved firing systems out there that are not very good in their tolerances as far as being on the correct frequency & being stable at that frequency.
I hope this clears things up a bit--"remote" is a general term & needed a little clarification.
The smaller, inexpensive firing systems are a great step up from trying to fuse & hand light everything, but as you get more into the hobby, save up & work towards purchasing a Cobra system. You won't regret it!
Cobra Firing systems are expensive at the moment, maybe I can afford one later on this year.

PGH_Pyro
04-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah i'm waiting for Cobra to bring the price(s) down some before I take that plunge .

wizard7611
04-03-2014, 06:30 PM
When do they go down and by how far?:confused:

PyroJoeNEPA
04-03-2014, 08:10 PM
When do they go down and by how far?:confused:
I believe that is "wishful thinking" on the part of PGH_PYRO. Don't expect to see any kind of major price drop in the near future in the Cobra system...the system is very affordable if you look at what it does for the price & look at the next step up into the "pro" systems like a Fire One. Just like a Mercedes the Cobra equipment holds its value so even when there are used systems up for sale, they are not "bargain basement give away prices". That, actually, is a good thing, because when you do invest in one you don't have to worry about it being obsolete and depreciated in a year or two.
Scott at Cobra has done an excellent job in designing, developing, and promoting the Cobra system and anyone that has one will tell you there is no comparison to all the "less expensive starter systems" out there. And their customer support is awesome!
True, it may be out of the reach of the occasional "drop & light" pyro, but if/when you want to get into bigger shows & productions it has a well earned place in the market.
There is a reason why people say "I've been bitten by the Cobra" and then smile the biggest smile they have!

wizard7611
04-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't know, it just seems really overpriced for me at the moment and am trying to find a firing system for the great price with enough cues.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't know, it just seems really overpriced for me at the moment and am trying to find a firing system for the great price with enough cues.
How many ques do you need? There are lots of "entry level" systems out there that are expandable--also, stepper/sequencers[like the Kingdom 10que]. You can piece together a reasonable system if you make sure everything is compatible.

wizard7611
04-03-2014, 10:07 PM
How many ques do you need? There are lots of "entry level" systems out there that are expandable--also, stepper/sequencers[like the Kingdom 10que]. You can piece together a reasonable system if you make sure everything is compatible.

I'm going to need 24 cues.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-04-2014, 10:05 AM
PM sent with recommendations.