PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys just a few questions

Redbullz
02-27-2014, 10:58 PM
So im in the market for a firing system, I have been browsing a bit and the cobra system has caught my eye but i am new to this whole thing and can use some insight. So im thinking I would prefer possible two system's with 12 setting's on each to help with spacing the show out a bit. But I wouldnt mind a 20+ system all together. Also would like something were i could sync say first 5 together, then next 5 to go a certain period after something like that. any other insight or ideas would be great also price range is kinda open not looking to break the bank but looking for a good system cause I love 4th of july and go big every year thanks guys.

displayfireworks1
02-27-2014, 11:34 PM
Welcome to pyrotalk discussion forums. It sounds like you are advancing into electrical firing. In my opinion the current state of small fireworks firing systems is simple and complicated and the same time. There are basically two categories, there is the Cobra Fireworks Firing System and there is everything else that is not the Cobra. The good news is the Cobra System is reasonably priced, because of that is that everything that is not a Cobra is also reasonably priced to stay competitive. One of my advertisers Quantum Fireworks addresses this by selling multiple systems. Here is link to his website, it looks like he has some special deals this time of year. Find one that meets you needs and budget requirements.
http://www.firingsystems.us/

Redbullz
02-28-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.firingsystems.us/SequencePack-24-Wireless-Firing-System-Set-p/seqpack24.htm
Has anyone ever used this one before?

Redbullz
02-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Also curious what are some of the features on these what separates one from another?
-do certain ones have better response times
-can they be preprogrammed to operate in a order based on time duration?
-difference between chargeable and battery's?
-what is the distance on the remotes?

I'm sure I have many other questions but trying to gather as much information as possible. Price range currently $600 + or - depending on features.

displayfireworks1
02-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Click to the same links you just posted, Quantum has extensive explanations of each system plus it looks like there are user reviews under the systems listing. I would recommend reading what he has written on the site.

Redbullz
03-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Wasn't sure how accurate the reviews were some site have fakes, figured I go straight to the consumer but thanks.

displayfireworks1
03-03-2014, 11:46 AM
After you read the descriptions on the Quantum website and possibly narrow you questions and choices down to one or two models , then we can give you some guidance.
The typical route most enthusiast new into pyrotechnics take is, they start with an inexpensive model to get the feel for electrical firing of fireworks, once you experience what the inexpensive model can and a can not do, you have a much better understanding of how all this works and a better understanding of what your needs are. Most fireworks enthusiast have more than one system as a result of this.
After I read what I wrote I did not want to come across wrong, it is a difficult decision to make when you first start out and do not know how far you are going in the hobby. Maybe start with a small import system, next time you have a fireworks display, hand light your items as usual, then get the firing system and make a 10 or 12 finale shot final. Get your impressions of how it all went then go from there

Redbullz
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Okay so I narrowed it down to 3 different systems. So the sequence system seems like a great buy for the price it is under $600 dollars and has a 32 cue option. Only thing that scares me is the battery is internal which seems great till it goes bad also the firing distance is rated at only 350ft which seems kinda short.

Now with the cobra really can't find anything wrong with it but the price, but you pay for what you get. Just a few questions about the system. So I was reading and may be wrong but can you put up to multiple talon igniters in 1 cue? And how we'll does the scripting work on the 18r2. Also is it worth buying there show creator or does the excel work fine. And do you guys create scripts ahead of time or is it easier to do it manually and play it by sight?
http://www.firingsystems.us/Sequencefire-32-Wireless-Firing-System-p/seqfire-32.htm
http://www.firingsystems.us/Cobra-Manual-18-Cue-Firing-System-Package-p/cobra-man18cuepackage.htm
http://www.firingsystems.us/Cobra-Scripted-18-Cue-Firing-System-Package-p/cobra-script18cuepackage.htm

Pyro Nation
03-04-2014, 04:09 AM
1. U can do more than one talon on one cue...remember to change from ematch setting to igniter setting first

2. The scripting works AMAZINGLYYYYYYY.. Done it several times already

3. U can use just excel in scripting without the show creator just takes a longer time.

4. Only real way of making a script is ahead of time...Unless u have a computer, USB flash drive on hand at the show

Redbullz
03-04-2014, 11:26 AM
1. U can do more than one talon on one cue...remember to change from ematch setting to igniter setting first

2. The scripting works AMAZINGLYYYYYYY.. Done it several times already

3. U can use just excel in scripting without the show creator just takes a longer time.

4. Only real way of making a script is ahead of time...Unless u have a computer, USB flash drive on hand at the show

So I was also reading that ematchs require you to have a license, and the talon are more for common use. Hoe hard is it to obtain ematchs and is there that big of a difference.
And for the show creator you have to pay a yearly prescription to this? Is there another program out the and with excel do you need to download something else with it to generate the shows? Really leaning too the 18r2 I think I'm going to go on excel and try and script a few shows to see what I'm deal with. Thanks guys all this insight is great.

Northern Sky
03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Up to 4 talons can be used per cue wired in parallel.

It is really easy to program using Excel. On the Cobra website there is a sample script using excel you can modify and use. Scott's videos are also very informative.

If you can swing it, the 18-R2 is a HUGE upgrade and makes even small displays so much easier to perform. The larger the display the more you will appreciate the R2.

Is is much cheaper in the long run to get the R2 than to upgrade.

Redbullz
03-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Up to 4 talons can be used per cue wired in parallel.

It is really easy to program using Excel. On the Cobra website there is a sample script using excel you can modify and use. Scott's videos are also very informative.

If you can swing it, the 18-R2 is a HUGE upgrade and makes even small displays so much easier to perform. The larger the display the more you will appreciate the R2.

Is is much cheaper in the long run to get the R2 than to upgrade.
Yeah I figure if I'm planning on spending $500-$600 mind as we'll go for the best just wanted to make sure all the functions were useful. Seems like I have no other options but the r2 and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Northern Sky
03-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Yeah I figure if I'm planning on spending $500-$600 mind as we'll go for the best just wanted to make sure all the functions were useful. Seems like I have no other options but the r2 and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

I have two of them in my collection.

Redbullz
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Is 5m the longest talon or can you wire it up to be longer?

Northern Sky
03-05-2014, 09:45 PM
You can always use scab wire to make them as long as you want.

johnb46804
06-03-2016, 09:02 AM
I wanted to ask a question about multiple wires to the same cue. Will different length wires have any effect on timing

johnb46804
06-03-2016, 09:04 AM
i should have stated that I'm still looking for a system.

Bazerk
06-03-2016, 10:10 AM
I wanted to ask a question about multiple wires to the same cue. Will different length wires have any effect on timing

Multiple wires on the same cue will work but you have to be careful about the lengths. As with anything electrical, the longer the wire, the more resistance. The more resistance, the more voltage fluctuation and the result may be an igniter not firing. However, the thickness of wire also plays a factor. I am not sure how far you can go with whatever gauge wire you use. You may have to experiment.

johnb46804
06-03-2016, 10:53 AM
If I am understanding correctly...consumers use Talon igniters only? What gauge wire is commonly used? Also, if I put the mod in the center and had left/center/right boards, what would be a good distance between boards? I am moving up from piece lighting and single fuse shows!!!

Bazerk
06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
If I am understanding correctly...consumers use Talon igniters only? What gauge wire is commonly used? Also, if I put the mod in the center and had left/center/right boards, what would be a good distance between boards? I am moving up from piece lighting and single fuse shows!!!

I was exactly where you are 1 year ago bud, so trust me, I feel your pain. You are going to love a firing system, no matter what system you chose. Please understand that I am speaking based on the Cobra system because thats what I own. I am not sure about the firetek and the Chinese systems. I believe Dave has a few videos using the Chinese systems and multiple igniters on one cue though. In saying that, you can but igniters that look and act very much like an e-match. Just do a search on ebay and you will see a ton of them and they work very well. I would be guessing on the distances, but I would say that you would probably be good if you stayed under 100ft. in each direction. I would test first though. Just plug 4 igniters into one cue and put 100 feet of wire on each one and see if they fire. Usually scab wire is 22 to 24ga.

johnb46804
06-03-2016, 05:39 PM
thanks for all the advice....i know theres info out there but it seems to be scattered around the web. the more detailed info out there needs to be put in a "pyro for dummies" book

Northern Sky
06-05-2016, 07:39 AM
Join PGI and come to LaPort Indiana and you will be able to see many different systems and product for the week long convension.

Csection
06-06-2016, 11:29 AM
Scott has a table of distances on his site. I think it is under the "Quick Guide" for the 18m module. There is also one for the lipo batteries.
Scott also sells the Talon igniters and his price is very good.
One extra thought is if you join pyro club in your area. Scott gives a discount to club members(Helps pay for your dues!). Look on the site under "Club Cobra".
I'm not trying to take away from other systems, but I know you can't go wrong with Cobra for a personal system.
P. S. He backs this shit up with the shirt on his back. So! If we see him running around shirtless, we'll know some one got him!