PDA

View Full Version : The making of the 366 1.75 Salutes Video.

displayfireworks1
04-12-2011, 07:39 AM
This is video from Kellners Fireworks open shoot night. Thanks to everyone that showed up with mortar racks to help me shoot the 1.75 inch salutes. I appreciated all your help and allowing me to share the video with everyone that could not make it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45XuFAfzSk

fireworksman74
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Damn we do good work!!!!!! A couple left behind aint bad at all. Im impressed!!!!

Burning_D4ve
04-12-2011, 12:59 PM
looking good :)

DLux3888
04-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Something in this video really surprised me. There was a guy who was asking Dave what quick match is. Dave told him what it is and that he needs a license to buy it. The guy then said he had a license. I'm amazed that somebody can procure a Type 54 license WITHOUT even knowing what quick match is. Unbelievable...

UniversalPyro
04-12-2011, 06:15 PM
maybe he though drivers license? But anyway...great job and im sure it sounded incredible!!!!! BTW i didnt know what TK's stood for until it was spelled out!!!!!!

Pyro Nation
04-12-2011, 08:11 PM
LOL.. universal... was it a DUH moment..lol

Dart
04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
As a pyro newb, i thought Titanium salutes had a bit of a visual effect, some sparks/stars on the report(like this,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGE9Az3-ag) , do these have this effect but it cant be seen during the day?

StormY
04-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Titanium Salutes contain titanium, hence the name, obviously - which gives it those silver stars. They just come across as flash salutes during daylight.

Grillma$ter
04-13-2011, 02:43 AM
I love those ground zero vids. It's like a freakin' chain gun going off...

Grillma$ter
04-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Something in this video really surprised me. There was a guy who was asking Dave what quick match is. Dave told him what it is and that he needs a license to buy it. The guy then said he had a license. I'm amazed that somebody can procure a Type 54 license WITHOUT even knowing what quick match is. Unbelievable...

He also said "he never gets to watch", which makes it sound like he's done a few shows. lol. Maybe it was home shows and he thought drivers license...IDK..

BigMO
04-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Another interesting thing was the use of consumer quick fuse. It seemed to work well (maybe not as fast as quick match, but still very fast) Was there any reason why they didn't just use quck match all the through the racks? Just curious.

indianahx
04-13-2011, 10:20 AM
is it just me, or did the 1.75 salutes have a regular visco leader? do all 1.75 salutes like this have the same leader and the larger salutes have the quickmatch leader??? just wondering as I have not bought any salutes (yet) and was just something i would like to have in consideration for the future

hokester44
04-13-2011, 11:33 AM
is it just me, or did the 1.75 salutes have a regular visco leader? do all 1.75 salutes like this have the same leader and the larger salutes have the quickmatch leader??? just wondering as I have not bought any salutes (yet) and was just something i would like to have in consideration for the future

These particular ones do have the visco leaders. I'm not sure what "brand" they are, but I believe the Lidu has the visco to QM leaders just like other 1.3 shells.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
We spent quite a long time fusing all those salutes together [a couple hours]. To use quick match would have been extremely time consuming-cutting in & taping each hole shut. Another issue was that the racks came from several different people & some of the tubes were as long as the leader fuses. That meant we had to use a loop of visco into the tube to get the fuse tied in. It would have been a pain to try to do with QM. I know three of the racks I did were like this. Most of the fuse was yellow visco fast fuse 6/10 sec/ft burn rate-I brought it so I know that for a fact. There also was some of the pink visco fast fuse which someone else brought that seemed to go just as fast if you look at the ground zero clip. As far as the QM leader-these shells are so small-the lift cup is only about an inch in diameter --it would be a manufacturing hassle to put a QM fuse on them. The lift cup has a hole punched in the side. fuse stuck in, end of story! And, it DID sound AWESOME for those of you that could not be there!

J's12talk
04-13-2011, 12:42 PM
They did make an impressive amount of noise thats for sure.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Hee Hee Hee was kinda hard to run it all that mud, wasn't it!!!

fireworksman74
04-13-2011, 02:47 PM
i almost lost my shoe twice in that mud lol

fireworksman74
04-13-2011, 02:49 PM
These particular ones do have the visco leaders. I'm not sure what "brand" they are, but I believe the Lidu has the visco to QM leaders just like other 1.3 shells.

they are liberty bell brand also the majority of 1.75 shells have visco leaders

fireworksman74
04-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Another interesting thing was the use of consumer quick fuse. It seemed to work well (maybe not as fast as quick match, but still very fast) Was there any reason why they didn't just use quck match all the through the racks? Just curious.

we used quick match to tie all the racks together. the end of each row was put into quickmatch along the side

PyroMonkey
04-13-2011, 10:48 PM
That was cool. Gave me the pyro giggles.

Were those 1.75" or 1.5" salutes? One of our local vendors sells cases of 288 small salutes (for roughly the price Dave mentioned) but they're only 1.5". Their 1.75" salutes are packed 144 to the case, and cost about 60% more. Dave said in the video that in previous years the 1.75" salutes didn't fit the mortars well. Perhaps those were actually 1.75", and this year's batch were 1.5"? Just speculating...

I bet you could use that yardstick with the hook on it to remove lift cups from mortars, too.

fireworkfan503
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
That was cool. Gave me the pyro giggles.

Were those 1.75" or 1.5" salutes? One of our local vendors sells cases of 288 small salutes (for roughly the price Dave mentioned) but they're only 1.5". Their 1.75" salutes are packed 144 to the case, and cost about 60% more. Dave said in the video that in previous years the 1.75" salutes didn't fit the mortars well. Perhaps those were actually 1.75", and this year's batch were 1.5"? Just speculating...

I bet you could use that yardstick with the hook on it to remove lift cups from mortars, too.

just looking at the video I think those were true 1.75" shells because most of the tubes were DR-11 and only a few were DR-9 and seeing as they were loading the shells they fit nice like they should have so my bet is that they were true 1.75" shells because if they were smaller I would think they would fit more loosely than they did but,that's only looking at the video.

PyroJoeNEPA
04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Those were 1/75" salutes, with a good fit in both the DR-9 & DR-11 guns--and I did make the yardstick "gizmo" hook primarily to pull burnt lift cups out & to check shell seating.

J's12talk
11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
With snow on the way I wanted to take another look at how the season began this year and what a great year it turned out to be. Cheers!

Pyro Nation
11-02-2011, 02:34 AM
HERE HERE!!!! And I get to end it be meeting everyone..WOOHOOO

PyroJoeNEPA
11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Still two months left---lots of time to light up the sky. Looking forward to what the next year will bring--new friends, demo's, club events, etc.

Pyro Nation
11-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Lots of time, but after next week.... I only have the New years eve planned for Fireworks... wish there was more..I have a few cases to BLOW OFF

Palermitano2
11-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I wish I lived Closer to you Gents..........New years Eve Is so far away thats my next shoot......