PDA

View Full Version : 2 hurt when fireworks explode in trunk of car

displayfireworks1
02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - Two men attending a fireworks industry event in Lake Havasu City were injured when fireworks exploded in the trunk of their car. The explosion and resulting fire gutted the car and scattered debris on a highway.

The Today's News-Herald reports that the fireworks began to explode Wednesday while the car was on State Route 95 and that the trunk's contents blew up when the driver pulled off the highway.

Lake Havasu City police spokesman Sgt. Troy Stirling said a 59-year-old man who suffered burns to his torso remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition at a Nevada hospital.

The other man in the car refused treatment for his minor injuries.

Stirling said both men had just left a Western Pyrotechnics Association event, and an event organizer helped dispose of material at the scene.
http://www.pyroinnovations.com/images/wpasky.gif
http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/az/AZ_11230.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9sCXqr8jRc
Lake Havasu City, Arizona - On February 12th just after 5 PM Fire Department personnel from Station #2 on N. Kiowa Blvd. were advised of a vehicle fire, which they relayed to Dispatch while en route to the scene. Upon arriving, emergency personnel found a fully engulfed vehicle fire with two subjects involved, one victim with 3rd degree burns which was transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center to an awaiting helicopter which then transported the victim to Sunrise Medical Center in Las Vegas. The condition of this victim is unknown at this point.

As of the time of uploading this video (7 PM) Rescue 42 was dispatched to the scene to provide additional manpower and lighting as the investigation into the incident continues

Northern Sky
02-14-2014, 01:28 AM
Scary. These guys knew what they were doing. Not your average pyros.

displayfireworks1
02-14-2014, 06:06 AM
Local comments found
I vote for cancelling all further firework conventions in Havasu. I hate being in a battle zone for a week.

Did they have a hazardous materials placard on their vehicle?

Something doesn't make since, the fireworks detonate leaving debris for 100 ft. He pulls over and then it explodes? Detonate and explode have the same meaning.
I'm confused.

Please forgive me, but is there something wrong with this picture. I hope this is not the last of this story. I hope the injured parties recover. I hope local and state authorities are looking into this for any violations. This could have been "disastrous
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/havasunews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/d7/ed71cc40-9456-11e3-b3d6-001a4bcf887a/52fc2ebe9afe6.preview-300.jpg

jknepp1954
02-14-2014, 08:13 AM
Don't jump the gun Dave! Or at least until more details are released...
Like Dane said - the guys who attend these events are not just the normal John Q Public - they know what they are doing.
Prayers goes out to the Victims.

Justintime
02-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Seems like the image in #3 post is not the same incident

PGH_Pyro
02-14-2014, 01:36 PM
there was surely more than bundles of sparklers in that trunk !!!
mass detonation/ignition

PyroJoeNEPA
02-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Any time a brother pyro is injured it is a sad day for all of us and brings us to the reality of never being "comfortable" with the product we deal with whether it is 1.4 or 1.3. Prayers for their recovery.

Northern Sky
02-14-2014, 02:42 PM
These guys are professionals. As I understand it they were doing a presentation at the event. They had unassembled components in the trunk of their personal vehicle along with firecrackers. There was a vehicle fuel system malfunction that caused a vehicle fire. All other factors were happenstance. The vehicle was not placarded. They were not in commerce NOT placarded. For DOT regulations there was nothing but a vehicle except gasoline and firecrackers.

This thread had the feel more of hater thread than a pyro thread. Guilty until proven innocent I guess. This is the same as someone coming to PGI for a seminar and being lynched because he had an accident on the way. Again these were well respected individuals in the PROFESSION.

Really, is that the way it is?

cracker
02-14-2014, 05:38 PM
These guys are professionals. As I understand it they were doing a presentation at the event. They had unassembled components in the trunk of their personal vehicle along with firecrackers. There was a vehicle fuel system malfunction that caused a vehicle fire. All other factors were happenstance. The vehicle was not placarded. They were not in commerce NOT placarded. For DOT regulations there was nothing but a vehicle except gasoline and firecrackers.

This thread had the feel more of hater thread than a pyro thread. Guilty until proven innocent I guess. This is the same as someone coming to PGI for a seminar and being lynched because he had an accident on the way. Again these were well respected individuals in the PROFESSION.

Really, is that the way it is?

Nobody on here is hating, or victim blaming.

cracker
02-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Don't jump the gun Dave! Or at least until more details are released...
Like Dane said - the guys who attend these events are not just the normal John Q Public - they know what they are doing.
Prayers goes out to the Victims.

You do realize, Dave is quoting other sources, right?

PyroJoeNEPA
02-14-2014, 07:12 PM
I think this thread took a wrong turn and has been taken wrong! In post #3 Dave posted "LOCAL COMMENTS FOUND"...those weren't his comments but evidently remarks from the local papers--or media...

This thread had the feel more of hater thread than a pyro thread I think that was a misunderstanding of Post #3. IMHO.

matandch
02-14-2014, 09:41 PM
That's why we have to be careful about the things we post and what we say. Someone who is unfamiliar with the fireworks community who comes across this thread can only conclude: FIREWORKS ARE DANGEROUS AND NEED TO BE BANNED!

displayfireworks1
02-14-2014, 11:26 PM
To Matandch
Part of what I do on pyrotalk in addition to fireworks videos is cover fireworks news events around the world. This is the nature of what I do, fireworks videos and news events. Due to the nature of pyrotechnics, it can be the one of the most pleasurable experiences and unfortunately one of the most terrible experiences for all involved. I try to report on both.
I think I may have said this a few times, I do not feel compelled to protect fireworks; I do feel I should promote fireworks. Let the organizations that are designed to protect fireworks decide how to protect fireworks. I approached some of the major fireworks organizations and told them they can confidentially approach me about any issue any time. I told the ATF the same thing. As far as I can tell, I am on good terms with all of these organizations.
Using this event as an example, I report on this because I see it as a major news event to pyro enthusiast. I am curious how such a thing happened. I have concern for those involved and the organization that runs this.
My wife said something to me once that was memorable. She said most men deal with things by not talking about them. I remember an “event” happened to a fireworks organization I was part of and someone said something along the lines of “How should we explain this to the members” One of the male members at the meeting raised his hand and said I know what to do. He said, “Just don’t talk about it”. I looked at the person next to me and said, “I wish my wife was here to hear this

Pyrocity
02-15-2014, 02:48 AM
Just my opinion, Dave is pretty judgmental, Quit being such a know it all Dave, restrain the pen and listen instead, and you might just learn something.

Vavoom
02-15-2014, 06:11 AM
First of all I would like to wish everyone involved a good and speedy recovery.

Secondly I hope this will not feed public opinion for a ban on fireworks. Public opinion is very difficult to manage, as we know all to well in The Netherlands, unfortunately. Us pyros, in general, tend to "trivialise" pyro-related accidents. E.g. by putting the "blame" on another cause and exploding fireworks being a logical result of that. Or by saying it's not that big a deal and that all necessary permits (if any) were lived by.

Let me tell you that the general public thinks totally different. They see fireworks as something unnecessary, that costs money, polutes the environment, puts them and their loved ones in danger, etc., etc.. They are scared, most times fed by "the media". But does this mean, we should stop writing, speaking, communicating at all? Absolutely not! So, I agree with Dave's wife.

Talk to one another! Don't build walls! Embrase concerns!

I hope the pyro community will act wisely.
Wishing them all the best, because it's a sensitive and therefore difficult subject.

displayfireworks1
02-15-2014, 06:11 AM
It is news event for people that have an interest in pyrotechnics. Censorship is what pyrouniverse was/is all about. I try to report on all of this as tastefully as I can. Perhaps we can all learn for it.

jknepp1954
02-15-2014, 09:42 AM
i think we can put this all behind us as it has been found out - NOT THE FAULT OF THE FIREWORKS - it was a fault in the fuel system of the guys car - the fireworks were just incidental... according to "the other forum"...
***AKA A FREAK ACCIDENT!***

Pyrocity
02-15-2014, 09:53 AM
You do realize, Dave is quoting other sources, right?

Really? Quoting other sources from where? What? ……... Boy, you guys sure do cover each other's butts

and Dave, I don't know you, I just call it as I see it. I've been around this pyro jazz a long time. Shit happens. Mr. Netherlands, we do our best to keep pyro alive. There's always going to be negative public opinion about fireworks. I don't see that as the vast majority of the populace though, more like a small fraction, same with guns.

And the poor man who got so badly burned, I wish him god's speed in recovery. I think we all want that.

Dart
02-15-2014, 04:51 PM
It is news event for people that have an interest in pyrotechnics. Censorship is what pyrouniverse was/is all about. I try to report on all of this as tastefully as I can. Perhaps we can all learn for it.

This site doesn't allow the mention of non advertisers, pyrouniverse doesn't allow mention of banned/prohibited practices/products. Censorship is no stranger here.

I can understand you wanting to Promote fireworks, but you often promote practices and content that does not show fireworks in a safe+positive manor.

jknepp1954
02-15-2014, 05:30 PM
ok - one more time - this is a quote from a reputable Cracker Jacks Club member (also from "another site")

I have a little more information. Randy and his twin brother had been out at the event site in their car, a Merc, and damaged the exhaust on a rock. They left the site and went to the local Mercedes dealer to try and get it fixed. The dealer declined, on the grounds that the catalytic converter was aftermarket and not a genuine Merc part. We believe they fixed up the pipe themselves with wire and were driving back when the car caught fire. Randy ran clear at first, but then went back to the car and opened the trunk. His last words before they anesthetized him were apparently "I shouldn't have done that ... I shouldn't have done that"

We don't have a lot more info at the moment. I was told Randy's burns may be 60%, and he has debris embedded in the wounds. The risk of infection is high and he may lose his life.
When i read that last sentence - my heart just sank! :(

matandch
02-15-2014, 06:15 PM
I can understand you wanting to Promote fireworks, but you often promote practices and content that does not show fireworks in a safe+positive manor.

The NRA is about guns and things relating to guns. Mass shootings are related to guns, but the NRA doesn't report about and sensationalize mass shooting on their website.

displayfireworks1
02-15-2014, 10:17 PM
The earlier comments were copy and paste of local comments from a newspaper site. Here is the link, you have to scroll way down
http://www.havasunews.com/news/fireworks-explode-in-vehicle-s-trunk-in-havasu/article_ab127f16-9456-11e3-b5af-001a4bcf887a.html
This story is now plastered all over the internet. I posted what I know about the event from what is publicly available to anyone.
The NRA has many paying members to protect, I have a small handful of advertisers. LOL I guess I do give them some degree of advertising exclusivity on the website. Its part of the contract. At the same time I keep telling some of these advertisers I think they need to redesign the canister artillery shell to prevent this loading upside accidents that keep popping up from time to time. I posted news stories and video about some of it.
If you look over some of the "Bad" fireworks events I covered recently, it should give us all something to think about.
Example the tragic electric match event where pyrotechnicians died. Now we know these cases can take years to come to conclusion, are we private contractors or employees when death occurs? We still do not know the outcome. The shooter in the UK that was charged with causing a major accident when his fireworks smoke was blamed for a massive car pile up. The outcome of both of these stories can have a major impact on the entire industry. To me that is a news event and by following it, you can gain some knowledge.
People in the fireworks business follow all of this sort of thing, using these two stories I stated, I personally learned something on both. This most recent accident may also fall into this category, what exactly happened and how can we all prevent it. Its a pyro news event. In a way I am trying to be a fireworks newspaper for events around the world, as we know the news is not always pleasant.

displayfireworks1
03-07-2014, 11:41 PM
A Menlo Park pyrotechnics expert died Thursday of injuries he suffered when a load of fireworks he and his twin brother were transporting ignited inside their car as they drove on an Arizona highway in early February, authorities said.

The explosion happened on state Highway 95 in Lake Havasu City on Feb 12.

Randall Feldman, 59, known as Randy, suffered burns to 70 percent of his body and was taken to a hospital in Las Vegas, Nev., where he died Thursday, according to the Clark County coroner’s office.

Lake Havasu City police Sgt. Troy Stirling said the fireworks that Randy and his identical twin Michael were transporting ignited while they were driving.

Randy and Michael were in Lake Havasu to attend the annual Western Pyrotechnic Association’s Winter Blast, a five-day get-together for pyrotechnic enthusiasts, according to the association president Lynden King.

King said Randy was scheduled to give a presentation on building fireworks at the event, which ran from Feb. 12 to Feb. 16.

Stirling said the brothers were traveling on the highway heading away from the event that day when the fireworks in the trunk began igniting.

Randy was a passenger in the vehicle and his brother was driving at the time. Michael pulled over and Randy walked toward the car’s trunk to see what was causing the fireworks to go off, according to the sergeant.

He ended up being badly burned by the explosions, and was taken by ambulance to Havasu Regional Medical Center and then airlifted to Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas, Stirling said.

Michael suffered only minor injuries and refused medical treatment at the scene, Stirling said.

Stirling said the cause of the ignition appears to have been a chemical reaction, but “since the product burned up there is no way to determine exactly what happened.”

King said Feldman had been handling fireworks for most his life and was an expert pyrotechnician. He said the association will continue to promote the safe use of fireworks by giving seminars throughout the year on how to build and properly use pyrotechnics.

An online obituary states that Feldman was also a husband and a father
Randall Mark Feldman
Randy Feldman from Menlo Park, passed away on February 27, 2014, surrounded by his family. He was 59 years old. He was a devoted husband, loving father, son, brother and uncle.

Randy was a man of many talents. He could fix anything, would help anyone, and talk to everyone. He lived his life with an infectious energy; a fun-loving father and friend with a passion for big things (like fireworks).

Beloved husband of Linda Feldman for 28 years; loving father of Jessica Lynn and Alison Michelle; loving son to Bernard and Ellen Feldman, and Marian Hammer; loving brother to Michael, Daniel, Adam, and Marshall, and many nieces and nephews. He will be greatly missed by his family, and many, many friends.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made in Randy's name to The Firefighters of Southern Nevada Burn Foundation, 3111 S. Valley View Blvd., Suite B -111, Las Vegas, NV 89102; The Lion's Burn Care Center at University Medical Center, 1800 W. Charleston Blvd., Las Vegas, NV 89102; or to the charity of your choice .

Memorial service to be announced.