PDA

View Full Version : Piggy Backing

Palermitano2
04-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Can we touch on this ? How do you guys feel about this. To me it doesnt seem safe, I hope someone can make me feel more confident doing this or continue to stay away from this practice......Let Me know

pyrodude
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I have done it with shells and mines but never with shells on top of shells. I say get more mortars and there is no need.

Pyro Nation
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
I have seen quite a few do it, but i prefer not to. Just my 2 cents. I feel safer not doing it

indianahx
04-10-2011, 10:28 PM
One shell, one mortar....that's my .02

fireworksman74
04-10-2011, 10:41 PM
it can be done ive done it just a piece of advice put the more powerful shell on top and cut the fuse off the bottom one. finally dont put salutes on the bottom. Theres my 2 pennies

DLux3888
04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
It's something that is possible, but a lot can go wrong. I don't think the risk is worth the reward.

jknepp1954
04-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Same as everyone else - not safe.
If you are looking for a shell on shell - use a double breaking type shell
or if wanting mines/color - use a shell of that type such as Golden ones or Zillionare.

fireworksman74
04-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Same as everyone else - not safe.
If you are looking for a shell on shell - use a double breaking type shell
or if wanting mines/color - use a shell of that type such as Golden ones or Zillionare. You are correct on the alternatives. and 9 time outta 10 thats the way id do it also but ive never had any problems piggy backing. Dont get me wrong im not saying its safe,but shooting fireworks isnt safe either. They are extremely unpredictable and you never know if they are gunna fly out of the tube or flower pot and ruin your racks

Palermitano2
04-11-2011, 08:32 AM
All Great feedback ! I will now order another 100 tubes lol. I didnt think it was safe I have seen videos but never a video of one going bad. Thanks for all the responses.

blown2bits
04-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I have done it experimenting with festival balls, but never for a show, I have had it work fantastic,and I have had one shell go up great and the bottom shells blow 5 feet off the ground but since they were only festival balls the damage was pretty much non existent, maybe a burnt piece of grass. It was interesting to test but not reliable for a show.

Thumpjunkey
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I'd vote not safe so don't do it.

indianahx
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
i also think you have to take into consideration the label on most fireworks should read "it is unlawful to use this product in a manner inconsistent with the labeling"...or something to that affect. doesnt piggy backing also require you to alter the bottom shell? cutting into it or something? whatever it is...it's altering it, no? i would rather just shoot as is.

DLux3888
04-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I remember there was a guy who did it in one of Dave's videos. I'm not positive, but I think it was "Fireworks in the Meadow". But as I said, don't quote me on it. In the video, he piggy backed 30 shells, making it 60 shots out of a 30 shot rack. In the video the guy took the fuse out of the bottom shell, leaving just a tiny hole. I believe they all shot without incident. I personally wouldn't do it other than to try it, but it is possible.

fireworkfan503
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Personally I don't like doing it to much of a safety risk IMO

PyroMonkey
04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
As long as your racks are a safe distance from your audience (perhaps further than you would for non-piggy-backed shells), I say go for it. At a recent show, we included a quick-fused 20-mortar 1.75" fan rack, piggybacking various shells (festival balls as well as canisters) on top of mines. It was an impressive effect. Even the audience said, "WOW, what was that?" Seems to me that since a mine is intended to go off in the mortar, there is no increased risk in this regard. Anatomically you're creating something the same as a Zillionaire shell... just larger. Be sure to use high-quality mortars with good plugs, not the cardboard mortars that come with festival balls.

Couple of observations from experience: Don't use too snug of a mortar — the fuse hole in the bottom device (mine) may get sealed off from the top shell's lift charge. Also, if you're loading a shell on top of a 3" tall mine, the shell's mortar just got 3" shorter. You might consider using longer mortars for piggybacked shells (15" vs. 12").

I personally wouldn't piggy-back two shells in one mortar...

StormY
04-12-2011, 02:44 AM
We were messing around at this open-shoot and did a Mine and Shell. It worked fine, I will however not be doing it again - because of the safety issues.

fogle22
04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I've piggy backed for several years without an issue...never had a low break or flower pot. I've had the 2nd shell break lower than normal, but never a true low break. You cannot compare a double break shell with 2 single break shells. A 1.4 product is limited to 130mg of composition per aerial.

I've purchased several more guns, so I do not need to piggy back any longer. I use to piggy back all 30 guns in a rack in my finale.

"Risk" is a relative term when talking about fireworks. Some people feel that hand firing a show is risky.

Pyro Nation
04-15-2011, 11:54 PM
very good point fogle.. I find handfiring a 1.3 is risky...

pyro man 205
04-17-2011, 02:10 AM
I tryed piggy back 1.4 sells it worked some what my 2nd shell broke lower than normal, so i just didit do any more like that. that is why i have 300 guns now, no more piggy backing to me it is not safe