PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the kid in Ohio

Weeksax
01-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey, everyone my names Alex and I live in the great state of Ohio. I have been shooting 1.4g fireworks for 3 years now and it has long been in my family. Most recently I put on a 1.4g show for a graduation party and a family reunion.

Now that I'm almost 21 it's about that time to apply for my 1.3 liscense, and take my hobby to the next level. I now currently reside in Cincinnati, where I work part time at US Bank Arena as security for shows and events. Many of their shows bring pyrotechnic displays with them ( or the Reds have Friday night fireworks). These are all put on but a family company Rozzi.

At a show I was speaking with a shooter from Rozzi who told me along with my liscense I needed a $1 million insurance policy. Now I know this isn't true to purchase and posses 1.3g fireworks with a permit. But when shooting an exhibition as I've done with 1.4g, would I need this insurance. I know there are state and local permits and all that, but I was wondering if I put a show on for a birthday party do I need this insurance to shoot 1.3g.

melott001
01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
hello, in the state of Pa. no matter what type of show whether its 1.3 or 1.4g insurance is needed to cover any accident. The best way to find out how much you need is to contact a fireworks wholesale outlet in which you may intend on purchasing your fireworks from and ask them about purchasing insurance from them. Usually they will offer it to you or direct you in the proper direction to get it.

crackerbomb
01-21-2014, 01:02 AM
You must have a million dollar insurance to shoot any fireworks in the messed up state of Ohio. You also need to take an Ohio shooters class wich is done by the state. You also need to have a freindly fire cheif to make it easier on you.
It comes down to that if you want to shoot fireworks in Ohio you have to jump through a ton of hoops, climb mountains and do it all with a blind fold on and your hands and feet tied together...lol
I shoot for a company that is helping me through this process, wich is a huge help. So I would try to get hooked up with a company close to you. If you can't find a company let me know and I will see what I can do.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-21-2014, 10:47 AM
To all the Ohio Pyros---after reading all that you have to go through, it makes me appreciate what we have going for us here in PA!

Northern Sky
01-21-2014, 03:17 PM
I would like to refer you to NEOPG North East Ohio Pyrotechnic Group http://www.neopg.com/ or OPAG Ohio Pyrotechnic Arts Guild http://www.opag.us/ about shooting with them in a club atmosphere to gain experience and knowledge. There is a meeting this Saturday if you would like more information let me know.

Ohio can be a difficult state to do fireworks. Get it done corectly. Hop through the hoops and avoid costly consequences.

killer57
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
welcome aboard :D

crackerbomb
01-21-2014, 10:40 PM
someday things may be easier in Ohio. I have wrote letters upon letters and emails upon emails. I don't think they care. They could make a good chunk of change if the would open it up to sell and shoot fireworks in Ohio. The sales tax would be in the millions. Indiana does a 11% tax on fireworks and I think Michigan is 12%.

jknepp1954
01-22-2014, 01:28 PM
I would like to refer you to NEOPG North East Ohio Pyrotechnic Group http://www.neopg.com/ or OPAG Ohio Pyrotechnic Arts Guild http://www.opag.us/ about shooting with them in a club atmosphere to gain experience and knowledge. There is a meeting this Saturday if you would like more information let me know.

Ohio can be a difficult state to do fireworks. Get it done corectly. Hop through the hoops and avoid costly consequences.
would like to also recommend either OPAG or NEOPG. i use to belong to NEOPG - they are a great group of guys. The only reason i dropped my memberhsip onn them is they use to have an event in PA - but i guess they don't do that anymore. :(

Northern Sky
01-23-2014, 08:29 PM
would like to also recommend either OPAG or NEOPG. i use to belong to NEOPG - they are a great group of guys. The only reason i dropped my memberhsip onn them is they use to have an event in PA - but i guess they don't do that anymore. :(

We will be back again Joyce. We out grew the shoot site we used in Bolivar but will be back in the area again.

How about that salute to the the Mayor Mike, Tim and the boys put up?

Weeksax
02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
You must have a million dollar insurance to shoot any fireworks in the messed up state of Ohio. You also need to take an Ohio shooters class wich is done by the state. You also need to have a freindly fire cheif to make it easier on you.
It comes down to that if you want to shoot fireworks in Ohio you have to jump through a ton of hoops, climb mountains and do it all with a blind fold on and your hands and feet tied together...lol
I shoot for a company that is helping me through this process, wich is a huge help. So I would try to get hooked up with a company close to you. If you can't find a company let me know and I will see what I can do.

I would love to know what company you are involved with as all Rozi locations are closed, making getting involved with any company for the upcoming Holidays difficult

Weeksax
02-16-2014, 09:46 PM
I would also like to say tanks to everyone who posted with advice.

displayfireworks1
02-21-2014, 09:12 PM
You say you live near Cincinnati Ohio. One of my advertisers Lynch Imports is located very near you. We can help you get your ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks very easily if you are at least 21 and have a clean criminal record. Whatever direction you decide to go from there is up to you. You at least need a ATF license. Lynch Imports usually has an annual 1.3 shooter course approved by the State of Ohio, you can learn to shoot fireworks and get your ATF license. Northern Sky is also giving good advice to join one of the pyro clubs in Ohio.
Here is Lynch Imports website information.
http://lynchimportsllc.com/
http://lynchimportsllc.com/wp-content/themes/lynchimports/images/logo.png