PDA

View Full Version : High explosive flash powder

boo2blue
12-23-2013, 10:06 PM
So I was looking at a YouTube channel I like, and I saw a video which was a demonstration of high explosive flash powder that this YouTuber discovered. The video was of 100milligrams of unconfined grey colored flash on a piece of aluminum foil over a flame. The flash didn't burn and flare up, it detonated, there was a very little flash and a loud bang and it blew a hole in the sheet of aluminum. It was unlike any other flash powder I have every seen. The YouTuber didn't post the mixture for safety reasons. The YouTuber is Dornier335A, and the title of the video is "Super flash powder - The first high explosive flash powder". I wonder what would happen if you made a 2 inch shell salute shell out of this mixture. It was amazingly loud for not contained flash.

displayfireworks1
12-23-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm getting worried about you a little. I am sure it is common to be fascinate by flash powder when you first learn about fireworks. I saw that video you are talking about, my experience is all properly made flash aluminum powder will give you similar results. Once a pile of flash powder gets to a certain size it confines itself and makes a loud noise. I was present once when someone had residual flash powder in a paper bag , they put a match to it , when it went off you would have swore it was a large firecracker, just the paper bag was enough confinement to make it go boom.

boo2blue
12-24-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm getting worried about you a little. I am sure it is common to be fascinate by flash powder when you first learn about fireworks. I saw that video you are talking about, my experience is all properly made flash aluminum powder will give you similar results. Once a pile of flash powder gets to a certain size it confines itself and makes a loud noise. I was present once when someone had residual flash powder in a paper bag , they put a match to it , when it went off you would have swore it was a large firecracker, just the paper bag was enough confinement to make it go boom.

Interesting, I didn't know flash can self confine in certain quantities. I thought it just would flare up. I like to stay away from flash, I use granulated BP for most of my firecrackers.

RunBang
12-28-2013, 12:33 PM
I didn't know flash can self confine in certain quantities

Yes, flash powders don't need to be confined a lot for detonate. try that: break a little cracker in the middle, and fire off the fuse. if this cracker is made with good flash powder quality, it won't make a little silver fountain, but i will detonate ;-)

boo2blue
12-29-2013, 06:16 AM
Yes, flash powders don't need to be confined a lot for detonate. try that: break a little cracker in the middle, and fire off the fuse. if this cracker is made with good flash powder quality, it won't make a little silver fountain, but i will detonate ;-)

I'm kinda new to flash and in trying out some certain mixtures. I'm kinda concerned about using perchlorate, so I've been trying lots of kno3 mixtures. One of my friends,(not really a firework fan, just likes blowing things up), has been using a 50/50 ratio of kno3 and magnesium powder. Just wondering if that is a safe compound to use for some small bangers and Ti salutes. Also I'm wondering what a safe batch size is, 10g 20g?

Pyrocity
02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
1. Magnesium dteriorates rapidly upon exposure to plain old air. In the prescence of KNO3 the oxidation reaction will occur much more rapidly. It is much too dangerous to use Magnesium and it's use in commercial pyrotechnics in the US has been banned or severely limited.
2. what you have discovered it what is known as "critical mass". The atmospheric pressure (15 psi) at sea level, provides enough confinement for the flash powder to explode, even in very small quantities. I'm not sure what that amount is, but is likely somewhere between 5 and 15 grams, depending on the aluminum used. Also, it has been known to detonate in even smaller quantities. Use extreme caution. And as for your friend who simply likes to "blow things up" he's headed down the road to despair. I would avoid him at all costs.

PGH_Pyro
02-15-2014, 01:18 PM
that Russian kid in Altoona, PA. is now in Federal prison for making bangers with magnesium and "blowing things up" as he described it to the cops.
he had a pound of perchlorate and a pound of magnesium and some home-made bangers/bombs . i'm sure they will deport him after he rots in jail for awhile.

displayfireworks1
02-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Here is the "Russian Kid" Altoona story you are referencing.
Russian teen charged with possessing weapon of mass destruction, Pennsylvania authorities say
A teenage Russian national was arrested late Friday on charges of possessing a weapon of mass destruction, police in Altoona, Pa. said.

Blair County Prison confirmed to Fox News that Vladislav Miftakhov, 19, is in custody.

Altoon Mayor Matthew Pacifico said Miftakjov is a student at Penn State University Altoona.

He is charged with possessing a weapon of mass destruction, risking a catastrophe, possessing instruments of crime, prohibited offensive weapons, incendiary devices, recklessly endangering another person, and several drug-related charges.

Officers had been investigating an alleged marijuana growing operation when they discovered the alleged bomb, according to a statement posted on the police department's Facebook page.

They said the bomb was found inside a suitcase along with "assorted bomb making materials."

"The bomb was safely deconstructed by experts from the Pennsylvania State Police Bomb Squad," the statement read.

Miftakhov allegedly told investigators he bought the bomb-making materials online over the past few weeks.

Police did not release any details about a possible motive or possible targets.

Mayor Pacifico said the city had "quite a scare."

"This is something you hear about in big cities or movies, but not something you would think would happen in a place like Altoona," he told Fox News.

The Altoona Police Department said federal agencies had been notified and are assisting with the investigation.
http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/660/371/starnescrime.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/01/26/article-2546239-1AFA5D6A00000578-806_634x380.jpg
http://localtvkfor.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/bomb-making.jpg%3Fw%3D402

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBERLb67Tcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jgrruxhtbs
http://pix.epodunk.com/locatorMaps/pa/PA_13495.gif
If you sell fireworks chemicals check your recent orders for Altoona Pennsylvania. For some reason I am thinking this kid just wanted to make firecrackers.

Doug
02-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Flash powder will explode while unconfined. So diapering, or binary mixing are the only safe ways to mix flash. Also make it in small batches. BE SAFE!
Doug

NWPA
02-28-2014, 03:57 PM
Nothing scares me more than a pile of flash powder. I was young and stupid once and messed with it. Take my advice, don"t do it. You will have much more interesting fun building fountains and making stars and the like.D