PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate headache

mguerra
12-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I notice that when I fuse up a lot of shells I get a headache. It occurred to me it is probably from absorbing or breathing the nitrates in the powder. People who deal with dynamite have reported this also. From now on I will wear latex or nitrile gloves when fusing up big shows.

displayfireworks1
12-14-2013, 10:56 PM
I am curious do you smoke cigarettes or have a history of high blood pressure? From what I know about fuse it has high amounts of Potassium Nitrate. Potassium Nitrate is also used in tobacco and some food preservatives. One pyro-technician told me his doctor told him black powder raises your blood pressure. Then again Potassium Nitrate has been safely used for years.
Personally one of the most offensive things for me has been inhalation risk associated with sulfur. Making fireworks formula years ago and breathing in sulfur woke me up on night with terrible lug and throat irritation. The perchlorate oxidizers on the other hand have all sorts of long term effects.

mguerra
12-15-2013, 01:41 AM
No I don't smoke cigarettes nor have high BP. Nitrates have a vasodilation effect which would lower BP and cause the headache. As a physician, I know the nitrates cause my headache, I just wondered if anyone else has this. We are all biologically different and I presume my skin really absorbs the stuff and/ or my system is very reactive to it. Anyway I'll be wearing gloves henceforth when fusing up mortar racks. I have a big show Friday next. A local golf course lets us use the driving range for a shoot site, it is the perfect venue!

PGH_Pyro
12-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I have gotten headaches from breathing that stuff in / smoke from lift charge. Especially when there's no wind blowing it away, of course .

mguerra
12-17-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't know how much nitrates are in the smoke. But the smoke, whatever is in it, could certainly be irritating!

PGH_Pyro
12-18-2013, 11:49 PM
ive also noticed I have blue colored boogers a day or so , after a big show / shoot . not sure why that is .

mguerra
12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
That is definitely from the inhaled smoke!

boo2blue
12-29-2013, 06:24 AM
I don't know how much nitrates are in the smoke. But the smoke, whatever is in it, could certainly be irritating!

There are not many nitrates in the smoke, it's mostly sulfur compounds which could be cause of irritation. I just blew up a bunch of stuff with a bunch of BP crackers and i could smell the sulfur in the smoke. And airborne sulfur is not fun to be around, the effects are pretty short term, but it is very irritating to lungs.