PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Documentary

displayfireworks1
12-14-2013, 07:20 PM
I found this one by accident, not many views on this video, not sure, if it is any good or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbyScxrhWQg

PuroJon
12-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Could someone teach me what the function of the 10-12 inch stand offs shown on the bottom of the 8-inch shells being loaded at 10:37 and 10:42 in the video? Higher lift? Flight stabilization?

PyroJoeNEPA
12-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Could someone teach me what the function of the 10-12 inch stand offs shown on the bottom of the 8-inch shells being loaded at 10:37 and 10:42 in the video? Higher lift? Flight stabilization?

Pattern shells sometimes use stabilizer fins [or tubes]to properly position the shell in the sky when it breaks--but you don't see them here in the USA--my guess is that it is not a reliable "problem solver"--a rocket header will give you good positioning--but is not practical for display use--sticks falling everywhere!! I've seen pieces of rope added tot the shell to cut down the tumbling & spin on the shell--but again, not 100% effective. That is why you put a bunch of the same pattern shells in the air at the same time--some of them are bound to have the proper orientation.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Dave: at 20:43 you see the lance tubes with the side burning hole that Fireworks Extravaganza used at PGI this year to spell out their company name at the end of the show: you commented on them in your walk through video of their show setup. Interesting video.

displayfireworks1
12-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Great pick up Joe, watching the video seeing how they use it in China I now see the main advantage. you do not need elaborate rattan framework. With all those tubes fused together you can use wire fence or something similar. Most importantly this can be made at the plant and transported easily. Did you see how they rolled that thing up.
Here is the video and the lance is starting at the 4:20 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLz5yq_gi58