PDA

View Full Version : Another upside down Artillery Shell

displayfireworks1
12-11-2013, 12:13 AM
When I see these types of incidents, I try to post them for discussion. I love the canister artillery shell in the consumer fireworks category, but I think the fuse design confuses the novice fireworks user into sometimes thinking the shell should go in back wards. The industry is looking at strengthening the mortars to withstand the shell upside down. I wish they would look at the fuse design placement also. Granted the deceased person was not following proper safety precautions. Here is video of the incident from earlier this year and one of my videos on the subject.
I would like to see the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories seriously look at the fuse placement visual positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV2jhHqHChc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIgPr00eUU

displayfireworks1
12-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I hate to dwell on this man unfortunate dead. Not that this played any part in his dead but I discovered the victim has a criminal record and a felony. I was wondering, and it is a question for anyone out there that may know. Does a felony conviction prohibit you from purchasing 1.4 fireworks?

AZ Pyro
04-22-2014, 12:52 AM
I don't know about all canister shells but Big's pro shells and I think Excalibur shells have TOP written on the top of the canister. Maybe it should say THIS END UP.

PyroManiacs
04-22-2014, 09:09 AM
Dave, I have searched websites for over an hour and I found this for Pennsylvania

— 1275.4. consumer fireworks (Class C) facilities; applications or licensure; inspections; renewal
No license shall be issued to any convicted felons or to any entities where a convicted felon owns any percentage of the equity interest in such entity.
1939, May 15, P.L. 134, — 4.4, added 2004, Nov. 30, P.L. 1598, No. 204, — 5, imd. effective.

No where in the entire article where I retrieved this from, says anything about prohibiting a convicted felon from "purchasing" consumer fireworks.

But found this for Michigan:

Michigan Consumer Fireworks Certificate and Low Impact Registry Site

Michigan Registration and Application Fireworks Safety Program

Public Act 256 of 2011 provides for the sale of consumer fireworks in Michigan. To sell Consumer fireworks you are required to apply and obtain a consumer fireworks certificate. To obtain this certificate, you are required to apply to the Bureau of Fire Services in the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs no later than midnight April 1. For the sale of both Consumers fireworks and Low Impact you are required to apply for the Consumers Certificate and Register on the Low Impact Registry. For the sales of Low Impact level fireworks only, you are required to register with the Low Impact Registry 10 days prior to sales.

(Applies to Consumer Certificate only)As required by PA 256 of 2011 you must submit a Felony Affidavit, signed and notarized, regarding any felony sentencing within the past 5 years or any Felony convictions ever for theft, fraud, or arson. (A blank Felony Affidavit form will print when you click on the “print Required Document page” later in this process)

I have also found numerous states websites showing no laws regarding the sale of consumer fireworks to felons.

The only thing they cant do is obtain a display permit or get a license.

displayfireworks1
04-22-2014, 10:09 PM
The more I look at these events of injury with the reloadable consumer artillery shell, it seems to always be loading it upside down and holding the mortar. I still feel that if the fuse was not wrapped in the paper and was visible outside of the paper wrap people would not load this upside down. While the American Fireworks Standards Laboratories relies on industry experts they should consider what is termed "Focus Groups" where you would generically have a shell and mortar and ask someone to load it. You record the data and make changes. I have a few ideas how it should be. I make a video about it.