PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks Magazine Questions

Melp
12-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I have all my paperwork filled out and I am ready to send it in with the contingency plan all set. I was able to talk to the atf agent in my home town that will probably come to the house and do the interview for the license. Here is my confusion I have been researching magazines, I will only being doing small shows to start out and would love to have salutes in my shows, I was thinking of building one of the job box magazines. I would put this in my detached garage which is 150' away from the house. Can I put bulk salutes in this and be legal as long as its under 50lbs.
Someone also said if I mix them with color shells they wouldnt be counted as bulk salutes. If anyone could let me know how this is figured or if they have built a job box magazine I would love to here from you

Blam Blam
03-24-2014, 11:04 PM
I've asked the ATF directly about bulk salutes and have been told that adding a single color shell changes them from bulk salutes (HE or High Explosives) to mixed shells (LE or Low Explosives).

What type of magazine are you referring to? A Type-4 (LE) or a Type-2 (HE). If you outfit your JobBox as a Type-4 or LE Magazine, you wouldn't be able to store HE or bulk salutes in it. If it's a Type-2 or HE Magazine, yes you could. In either case you are limited to 50lbs and the table of distances doesn't apply.

Keep in mind that this is only Federal law and you need to comply with State, County and Local regulations as well.

Bighorn
03-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Just Remember 50lbs is not much

mguerra
06-07-2014, 09:47 AM
The ruling that allows a job box as a Type IV magazine is ATF 2011-3.

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-3.pdf

A Type IV job box is for low explosives and may not be used to store bulk salutes. Bulk salutes are considered high explosives. The Type IV may be used to store salutes that are mixed with color shells, however. The table of distances does not apply for an indoor magazine, it does apply for an outdoor magazine. There are six tables of distances in the law. Don't confuse them. The one that applies to storage of display fireworks, 10,000 pounds or less, is 555.224

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title27-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title27-vol3-sec555-224.pdf

The 50 pound limit for a Type IV magazine applies to an indoor magazine. There is no weight limit for an outdoor Type IV magazine. If you have multiple Type IV magazines in the same building, the total explosive powder that all of them may contain combined is 50 pounds. The ATF rule of thumb is that aerial shells are 50% powder by weight and cakes are 25% powder by weight. So 100 pounds of aerial shells would be 50 pounds of explosive. 100 pounds of cakes would be 25 pounds of explosive.
The locking requirements for a Type IV job box differ for an indoor versus an outdoor magazine. 1/4" steel hoods are generally required for an outdoor Type IV magazine, but Ruling 2011-3 specifically exempts a job box from that requirement. For the lock requirements of an outdoor Type IV job box see ATF ruling 2011-3. Per CFR 555.210, for an indoor Type IV magazine located in a locked room, a single padlock, with five tumblers, and a case hardened shackle of at least 3/8" diameter may be used without a hood.

Pyro Nation
06-07-2014, 12:31 PM
TYPE IV is limited to weight per distance from road or a building that is occupied more than 8 hrs a day.. Does not include ur house.. I have a outdoor magazine which is 152 ft from RD and it has a 1000 lb weight limit

mguerra
06-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes. I said there is no weight limit for an outdoor type IV magazine, which for our purposes is true. It is actually implied to be 300,000 pounds because that is the limit on the distance table. I also said the table of distances, 555.224 does apply for an outdoor magazine storing display fireworks. And I included a link to that table. That table specifies distances based on explosive weight. And yes there is a 150 foot distance requirement between your magazine and an inhabited building,passenger railway, or public highway for 0-1,000 pounds of powder.
1,001- 5,000 pounds: 230 feet
5,001- 10,000 pounds: 300 feet
Above 10,000 pounds Table 555.218 applies: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012-title27-vol3/pdf/CFR-2012-title27-vol3-sec555-218.pdf
This is the distance table that only goes to 300,000 pounds.
Remember these weights refer to explosive powder, not gross weight of the fireworks.