PDA

View Full Version : Why should they be legal?

kessie
12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
In my English class (college) we had to write an 8+ page informational report on whatever topic we chose. Immigration, recycling, fishing, endangered species, medicinal weed... I chose Fireworks.

Due on the 17th, we need to turn that information report into an 'Argumentative' report and I need to convince my professor that we should make fireworks legal. I brought up several points about why they're illegal, but other than tax revenue I need reasons why we should make them legal. My "they're only explosives" argument only went so far with I presented this topic... :confused:

Northern Sky
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Do some research on the founding of the country and the celebration of our freedom from the oppressive government at the time.

PyroJoeNEPA
12-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Just a couple points to ponder: 1. Legalization would make better safety practices more widespread...an informed person setting off pyro is [usually] a safer person. 2. Eliminating [for the most part] "black market" sales would make it easier for people to set off their pyro in a safer environment--not the "light it in the street & run before the police come" scenario. 3. Many special events would be able to benefit from legalization--birthday parties, anniversaries, graduations, etc. thus enlarging the retail market & putting a boost in the tanked economy. 4. Legalization would increase wholesale sales to retailers for the previous reason. 5. State to state laws vary & do not establish a fair & balanced regulation/oversight of what is & is not legal. Some states allow 1.4g cakes--but not canister shells. Typical of the "system". 6. If someone has never had a "smell the smoke" moment, they wouldn't understand--but those of us that have--well, nothing tops it! 7. It is just plain FUN!!
Good luck with the report. Let us know how you make out with it.

displayfireworks1
12-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Check out the American Pyrotechnic Association website. They have some great statistical information in favor of fireworks.
Here is a quote from their executive director. It would be a great way to open your argument.
Consumer fireworks have never been more safe than they are today. Fireworks use has increased by 920 percent since the Consumer Product Safety Commission issued federal regulations in 1976. During the same time period, fireworks-related injuries have decreased by more than 90 percent per 100,000 pounds used. Most consumer products with which there is any degree of risk associated, such as all-terrain vehicles, skateboards, baseball, and the like, produce increased injuries along with increased use. Not so with consumer fireworks.

Julie Heckman

Executive director, American Pyrotechnics Association
Bonfires and Illuminations

On July 8, 1776, the first public readings of the Declaration were held in Philadelphia's Independence Square to the ringing of bells and band music. One year later, on July 4, 1777, Philadelphia marked Independence Day by adjourning Congress and celebrating with bonfires, bells and fireworks.

The custom eventually spread to other towns, both large and small, where the day was marked with processions, oratory, picnics, contests, games, military displays and fireworks. Observations throughout the nation became even more common at the end of the War of 1812 with Great Britain.

On June 24, 1826, Thomas Jefferson sent a letter to Roger C. Weightman, declining an invitation to come to Washington, D.C., to help celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. It was the last letter that Jefferson, who was gravely ill, ever wrote. In it, Jefferson says of the document:

"May it be to the world, what I believe it will be ... the signal of arousing men to burst the chains ... and to assume the blessings and security of self-government. That form, which we have substituted, restores the free right to the unbounded exercise of reason and freedom of opinion. All eyes are opened, or opening, to the rights of man. ... For ourselves, let the annual return of this day forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."

Congress established Independence Day as a holiday in 1870, and in 1938 Congress reaffirmed it as a holiday, but with full pay for federal employees. Today, communities across the nation mark this major midsummer holiday with parades, firework displays, picnics and the playing of the "The Star-Spangled Banner" and marches by John Philip Sousa.
http://www.calwatchdog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/declaration-of-independence.jpg

matandch
12-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Fireworks make people happy.