PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks blamed for turtle's terror

displayfireworks1
11-19-2013, 07:36 PM
It looks like the news media in New Zealand is looking for every possible story on the anti-fireworks activity in the area. I think everyone may enjoy this one.
http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1384827028/251/9417251.jpg
Fireworks nearly killed Ninja the turtle but Clarice Ford brought her back to life using turtle CPR.

Now the Papakura woman is calling for more care with fireworks so other animals do not suffer the same fate.

Ms Ford found Ninja, a 33-year-old red-eared slider turtle, upside down at the bottom of her pond on Guy Fawkes night.

Fireworks had been going off nearby all evening and she reckons the turtle panicked and drowned.

"I picked her up and her neck just flopped. I cried hysterically."

Ms Ford was saying her goodbyes to her beloved pet when she saw her eyelid flicker.

She rushed the turtle to the Ardmore Vet where Dr April Jones assessed her as "more or less comatose".

The women embarked on a long effort to save her, including administering oxygen, tipping her upside down to remove water from her lungs and rubbing her feet to warm her up.

Ms Ford also administered turtle CPR, which involves pulling and pushing the front legs in and out to massage the heart.

It wasn't until an hour later that the women saw Ninja's head move.

Dr Jones says the turtle's prospects seemed poor at first and she acted on gut instinct to save her.

"Sometimes this job is as much art as science. Sometimes there's just that feeling that something's not ready to go yet and that's what I got from that one," she says.

"I'm more than happy that it went against the odds and survived."

Ninja was kept in a warm incubator overnight but was back to normal just a few days later.

Ms Ford, who runs the reptile sanctuary Turtle Haven, is overjoyed to have her pet back at home.

More than 500 turtles have come to her to be re-homed over the years but Ninja has been with her the longest, she says.

"I get upset when any of them die but she was the first. I cried when she died and I cried when she survived. It's a real miracle."

She wants people to think about the animals in their neighbourhood before letting off fireworks.

"I don't know if they were louder this year but even I was frightened. It was like a war zone in my back yard.

"If it's just going to be one night then that's OK but it's not - there were fireworks all week. It's just not fair on the animals."

PETITION BACKS BAN

A petition calling on the Government to ban the sale of fireworks to the public has attracted more than 21,000 signatures. Many animals suffer "great distress" and can be injured or even killed during firework season, it says. The petition is hosted on the website change.org and is backed by the SPCA, which says many pets run away from home or require medication at Guy Fawkes time.
http://www.localcouncils.govt.nz/lgip.nsf/016a7133e611812dcc2570670012a5f4/d82612c17c86d680cc25730e00255941/$FILE/Auckland_rev3.png

cds13
11-21-2013, 07:26 AM
fireworks here are all ready so controlled,u can only buy them for 4 days now the ban of fireworks in nz is coming

PuroJon
11-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Maybe she will move on to running a re-homing service for field mice.

Turtle CPR? Jeez...