PDA

View Full Version : problems with stars

cds13
11-17-2013, 01:17 AM
Hi there I've just been having some problems with stars. I cut them and let them dry and they break hitting a hard surface about 3 inches drop on to my work bench they turn back to dust i have dextrin in them thanks for the help

displayfireworks1
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks for joining the forums, I am hoping someone will answer this question. I would recommend you give us a much information as possible with your question. Tell us exactly what you are trying to make and the percentages of what you have in your mixture and the drying process etc.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Like Dave said, it would help to know what type of stars & exact formulations you are using to help with your problem. There are many people on here that can help you with your question, but more specifics are required.

cds13
11-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Thanks ok i have used this comp here for tigertail
KNO3 44%
Charcoal (airfloat) 44%
Sulphur 7%
Dextrin 5%
i use 50 % rubbing alcohol 50% water
i cut the stars about 1 cm by 1cm
and have let them dry for a week thanks

PyroJoeNEPA
11-18-2013, 09:16 AM
You do not need the alcohol in the basic TT formula. It is evaporating out of the mix on you allowing the star to be soft. Try using straight water & use 6% Sulphur & 6% Dextrine.
Also, the Dextrine you use can have varying results. Dextrine purchased from a Pyro Supplier is usually a better binding agent than the Dextrine you make at home by baking off Corn Starch in the oven.
If you are making your own Dextrine you may need to add a little more to the mix...but try eliminating the Alcohol first.

Good luck & let us know how you make out. Also, you may want to look into the Parlon based stars--they are simple to make in small batches & can be used the same day you make them. Check out Skylighter for instructions or Google "Parlon Stars".

I hope this helps!

cds13
11-20-2013, 07:04 AM
hi there thank you for the help i will try cutting some stars tomorrow i will tell u how i get on cheers and thanks to dave for setting up this great website thanks

Chris H
11-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I agree that the amount of alcohol is too high. Too much wont allow the water to activate the dextrin. You'll also want to make sure they're completely dry. Stars will be soft until all of the solvent is gone. Luckily, you can probably salvage the stars. If you rub them all through a screen, they should turn back to dust. Allow any extra solvent to evaporate, and re-wet with just water and re-cut them.

cds13
01-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Hi all i have got my stars great now thanks everyone for the help Thanks

PyroJoeNEPA
01-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Glad to hear that. Have fun!