PDA

View Full Version : Christian accused of using Koran to make fireworks

displayfireworks1
11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
A most interesting story about making fireworks.
A Christian man has gone into hiding in Punjab after being accused of blasphemy for allegedly using pages of the Koran to make fireworks.

The accusations against Tariq Yousaf prompted calls for his arrest to be broadcast from the loudspeakers of mosques in Wazirabad city, Gujranwala district.

Tariq, who is in his mid-20s, is well known locally and makes a good living from making fireworks for weddings and other events, say Release partners. Police have taken into custody his two brothers, Waris and Arif, aged 22 and 27 respectively.
http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/punjab/punjab-lcoation-map.gif
More
Islamabad (AsiaNews) - Two Pakistani Christians and their families are fleeing for their lives after being accused of blasphemy against the Koran. The two proclaim their innocence and fear for their lives.
Arif Masih and Tariq Masih are owners of a store where they sell fireworks in Thatta Faqirullah (Wazirabad, Punjab). On October 27 they sold Muhammad Zahid a set of fireworks for his wedding party. Since some of them failed to go off, some of the wedding guests opened them to see why they did not work and found that the powders were wrapped in pages containing verses of the Koran. The discovery shocked the newlyweds and their guests who immediately destroyed the store of both Christians and denounced the two to the police.

Tariq Masih tells AsiaNews: "We do not manufacture fireworks, we buy them from a factory near Gujranwala and we do not know what materials they use. Moreover, these factories are owned by Muslims and no Christian works inside there."

Tariq adds: "We have not even touched the pages of the Koran. The idea of using these pages for fireworks is beyond all imagination because we are well aware of the consequences."

The people of Thatta Faqirullah did not believe the two Christians and called on the police to arrest them and an exemplary punishment for those who insult Islam. Several have threatened that if the police do not act, they will hunt and kill them to the two blasphemers themselves.

Niceshellsdude
11-09-2013, 02:03 AM
If you are a Christian in these kinds of places you are lucky to be breathing.

PyroManiacs
11-09-2013, 01:59 PM
This is why I do not believe in organized religion. Its garbage.

displayfireworks1
11-24-2013, 10:45 AM
http://directory.ucanews.com/uploads/news/2013/11/1383648799.jpg
I wanted to update this story with a picture.

PGH_Pyro
11-24-2013, 05:53 PM
utterly ridiculous

STASH MASTER
08-26-2021, 03:47 PM
Wow !!! That's crazy.

WithReport
08-26-2021, 06:14 PM
I think they may be referring to the Punjab province of Pakistan (I think their store was also in the Punjab Province), rather than Punjab, India highlighted on the map.

I suspect it is as much of the religious social culture as religion - Pakistan is nearly 100% Muslim and it is part of their society, government, and laws. I witness similar religious national culture when living in another country decades ago and it can be very life encompassing for some. So it is not surprising that one could take serious offense to this. I suspect it could feel be similar to burning of a national flag for some of us. Still, this story is crazy and based on just the article, they are guilty, if not dead, before proven innocent - crazy and sad. But the world is crazy.

I've had my personal scriptures stolen and burned on the porch. My reaction - I threw the burnt ones in the garbage and bought new ones.

As for the construction of fireworks, even in product coming in from China to the US, we see all kinds of re-purposed paper in the construction of fireworks. I suppose whomever is doing the construction is just grabbing from a pile. This was one of my favorites.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5973&stc=1

displayfireworks1
08-26-2021, 07:30 PM
I occasionally like to see when someone searches the forums and bring an old post back. I posted this in 2013. I remember posting it. I always find it interesting to see how pyrotechnics are part of cultures outside of United States. As far recycled material in the manufacture of fireworks. I have memories of a now deceased pyro that showed me how he made triangle firecrackers out of old cereal boxes.

RalphieJ
08-29-2021, 11:13 AM
When I was 11 or 12 my Dad bought me a 80/20 brick of Jet Bomber "Best Quality Flashlite Crackers" made in Macau. (He paid $10, the equivalent of $94 today). They were made with newspapers from America, the 1958 version of recycling.

wingman
09-04-2021, 10:15 AM
When I was 11 or 12 my Dad bought me a 80/20 brick of Jet Bomber "Best Quality Flashlite Crackers" made in Macau. (He paid $10, the equivalent of $94 today). They were made with newspapers from America, the 1958 version of recycling.

Boy that sounds familiar! I have a pack of crackers from the 40s that were wrapped with a page from some U.S. newspaper. One of the articles detailed Hitler's advance in Europe, and there was also an ad for a bra, lol!